Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 9, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #20,836 of 151,528
You will be amazed what it unlocks from ordinary old fashion CD resolution. Plus Constanza will help keep it at peak operating termperature on wintery days.
It was this or the Vidar's.
Since I am really happy with the Ragnarok I figured this was the best choice.
So now you guys test the Vidar for me for the coming year and then I will buy upgraded ones.....

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #20,837 of 151,528
The Elac Adante will be released soon. It's hard to tell at a show but there is some merit to concentric drivers. It stood out in a crowded field is all I can say. $2,450.00/pair if memory serves. A floor stander is coming too.

The $5k/pair floorstanders look intriguing. I am they would sound great with a music server (Aurender X100L), Gungnir DAC, Freya and a pair of Vidars's! Plenty of firepower for a great two channel system for little cash compared to many other brands.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #20,838 of 151,528
We actually have a ton of stuff in the pipeline

These kind of statements are very exciting!

@Jason Stoddard

Any possibility of new headphone amps? Much of the talk of late has been focused on the 2-channel products, but I'd love to see if a Valhalla 3* is in the works or other new OTL amp.

*I know it's a bit of a focused product, but if anyone is going to continue to improve on bang-for-the-buck, backwards/obsolete product types, it'd be Schiit.

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #20,839 of 151,528
Jason,

I think the thing I love the most about you is that you have the balls and the humbleness to fess up to when you bozo something up. A mad genius who can laugh at himself and share his humanness with his customers and not worry about negative repercussions.

Unfortunately in my medical field, we've been taught that admitting an error is the sign of weakness and a huge setup for a bazillion dollar lawsuit. You don't want your colleagues, and especially the hospital and insurance regulators, to be looking at you sideways with scrutiny and disdain, and you certainly don't want to chum the waters for the blood sucking lawyer sharks, so you hide those errors no matter how inconsequential, and nobody really ever gets to learn anything from them to put new measures in place for actual improvement.

And yet the best docs with the best practices I have ever known are those who exemplify your ethics and ideals as I interpret them.

We could use a few thousand of you on our side!!!!!

Well written. Hard to share best practices, and learn from others' mistakes, when they aren't visible. My company has learnt that the hard way, many times over.

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #20,842 of 151,528
Do you mean these?

JC

Nope. Schiitonium®©™ is that rarest of rare metals. I mean really now, Unobtainium® has only one cool Registered Trademark symbol and Schiitonium®©™ is not just registered, it's all so trademarked and copyrighted. Want more proof of the coolness of Schiitonium®©™

It is Kryptonite to frAudiophiles®. Because Schiitonium®©™ is made with the rarest element on both the Periodic Table and the Buddha's Jade Green Earf. The Truth. Talk about bitchin' stuff.

Damn straight. And frAudiophiles® are afeared of de troof.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #20,843 of 151,528
Now that the talk is on cables. I have been wondering why Schiit doesn't sell any types of spdif interconnects (RCA, BNC or AES/EBU). For anyone not familiar with Mikes stance on cd n' spdif vs USB. It looks like a company stance/preference towards mainly using USB to feed your DAC's.

Like all of our tube amps, the operating point is set with a constant current source--no need to twiddle with adjustments.
That's very cool! So why aren't all tube amps made like this? Is it because you're going for zero distortion while others might want some "valve ina tube sound" going on their guitar amp?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #20,844 of 151,528
I'm excited about Vidar. In fact it prompted me to open an account here after years of quietly stalking...

@Jason Stoddard, If I understand Vidar's operation correctly; It will work as a mono block if it's fed a balanced input. If it's fed by the rca connection it will work as stereo amplifier (or dual mono). Is it possible to run it in mono block without balanced sources. I.e. by using a rca to xlr converter? If it's possible, are there any cable converter implementation that can cause problems with Vidar?

I'm wondering if the following setup would work: mani -> nobsound passive pre-amp (rca in xlr out) -> 2x Vidar.

Also what happens if someone 'accidentally' connects both xlr and rca input at the same time.

Thank you for your time. And keep up the good work, really enjoying everything you do for this community.

Jun 10, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #20,845 of 151,528
Welcome in the lines of the hopefull soon to be Vidar (and other new good Schiit) owners.
In the 2nd Vidar chronicle it's mentioned that it's very close to a dual mono design the shared powersupply being the only difference.

Interesting questions you have.

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #20,846 of 151,528
I'm excited about Vidar. In fact it prompted me to open an account here after years of quietly stalking...
I did the same thing!

Now, I do believe you can still use SE for the mono block setup. I seem to remember that someone mentioned that you can only use balanced connection when using as mono blocks, not the other way round.

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #20,848 of 151,528
Must use balanced for mono block setup
Hmm... I didn't know that... But anyway I have my Freya plugged in with balanced cable already, just waiting for Vidars to be released!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back