1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Jason Stoddard
    Vidar is about 25 lbs.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  2. Aaron Shi
    I got that right!

3. Jason Stoddard
    So, I went to listen to a prototype last night at the house, and I needed a source (I usually use a Fulla 2 or Jotunheim these days, which, yeah, are sources, but I wanted a multibit source). Luckily I had my trusty Bifrost Multibit hanging around. So I hooked that up, plugged it into my Surface Pro with USB, and got...nothin. USB wasn't even detected.

Thinking this might be a Windows problem (though W10, in general, has been really no problem, even in advance of their UAC2 driver), I tried it on my MacBook Pro. Nothin.

****, well, yeah, sometimes the USB boards just die, and who knew what I had in the Bifrost. I didn't have a non-USB source handy, so I shelved the listening session to tomorrow, figuring I'd bring in the Bifrost Multibit and swap out the USB card.

And when I got the Bifrost to the office, I found this.

IMG_3819.JPG

Yeah. That's a 1.0 Bifrost board, with a 1.0 non-Uber 4399 board, with some bizarre, green-board, hand-soldered USB Gen 1 pre-prototype. Looking at it again, I realized this wasn't my Bifrost Multibit at all...it was an ancient Bifrost I'd been using at the old Odeon office for optical input only. The serial number? 11.

Now, If I can just find my Bifrost Multibit...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    Khalaris, Argo Duck, Ableza and 5 others like this.
  4. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Ah, so that's 11.34Kg in real money.
    14g heavier than Constanza.
    Not light at all.

5. Pandahead
    You win the trip! But don't count on first class air fare. 25 pounds for something that size is amazing:L3000: and I thought my Parasound A23 was hefty, it's approaching Rag weight of 32lb at around 60% the size. The heat sinks are really cast iron LOL!

6. AviP
    I presume you mean 140g? Just curious...

7. HumanFly
    Plan A would snap at the joint around 10kg. So when you upgrade the rack make a little cat-fence.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  8. Aaron Shi
    I did my calc basically based on the Rag weight and the size... and mostly guess work.. Those heatsinks are really heavy!

9. rkw
    Whether 14g, 140g or 1400g, that would make it a massive cat (22 - 25 lbs).

10. LarryMagoo
    Obviously Jason, you are using the wrong Schiit!

upload_2017-6-8_11-44-20.png

Anavel0 and Pandahead like this.
  11. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Nope.
    She's 11.2Kg.
    Anyhow... With two Vidars at almost 23Kg and the space they need to bleed heath to the environment ... You need some strength and space.
    Good to know.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    OldRoadToad likes this.
  12. Thouston
    Good transformers are heavy.

13. Pandahead
    My Parasound Halo A23 weighs 28 pounds, take a look inside it. Vidar at 25 pounds and only 9 inches wide, that is truly impressive! I know it's an iron core and all, still how it all fits in there is amazing. It's been a long wait but will be worth it I'm sure. I just feel bad for Cozzi's freight bill!:L3000:

14. Aaron Shi
    Got my balanced cables and speaker cables today. All I need is the pair of Vidars! (And of course the pair of speakers...)

15. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    I will survive. No Sweat. My problems only begin when Constanza likes it to sleep on the warm dubbel Vidar bed.

hornytoad likes this.