Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 26, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #20,461 of 151,485
Mine shipped today! Yay!
Mine has an estimated delivery date on next Thursday... But anyway Vidar won't ship until late June so... And I still haven't decided on what speaker I should get... Leaning towards Tannoy XT 8F for now.

May 26, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #20,463 of 151,485
Asking the question how high is up is always problematic.

I'd say if you can afford the Jggy then get a Moby ($250) and see if it 'works' for you.
If so, then jump to a Gumby or Jggy and sell the Moby.

What the other MB dacs offer is more of the same degree of inner detail and focus, not to be confused with 'regular' detail.
That difference is, inner detail occurs everywhere not just in the top end, and focus is the ability to hear INTO the nature of each instrument, and not just, about them.

And once you hear this difference that these MB based dacs can offer, the Moby's bigger siblings just bring out more of the same, as you move up the ladder.
Or not, based upon your system and preferences.

And taking a 1st step with a ≈ $250 dac as an experiment, when considering a $2300 dac, is a relatively painless way of finding out for yourself.

Just a thought or 2 to consider.

JJ

Or maybe buy the Moby and stop there. I don't hear any problems with it.

May 26, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #20,465 of 151,485
Mine has an estimated delivery date on next Thursday... But anyway Vidar won't ship until late June so... And I still haven't decided on what speaker I should get... Leaning towards Tannoy XT 8F for now.

I am leaning toward the Salk Song3-A speakers.

May 26, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #20,466 of 151,485
Or maybe buy the Moby and stop there. I don't hear any problems with it.

I have a Mimby and it is a fine DAC. But I am so glad I did not stop there. Yggy is fantastic!!

May 26, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #20,469 of 151,485
May 26, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #20,471 of 151,485
So I've been pondering what a guy's gotta do around here become a Headfier Supremus or whatever the top post level appellation is called.

I'm just a lowly "Headfier." Even as an old fart, I am WAY too competitive to accept being a peon by posting only repetitive impressions as to how wonderful my Schiit stack and associated components sound. You've all heard it. I've got nothing more interesting to say.

I've got no really cool engineering background stories to titillate you all. I've not had bazillions of tons of equipment over the years to discuss.

I feel like a loser lurker sitting around in his Mom's basement in his underwear. I've got to pick up my game if I'm going to continue hanging around here.

Since I have ZERO engineering background but am an Orthopedic Surgeon in my day job, I figure I can boost my post count by giving out a lot of free medical advice.

All you old guys have bum knees, hips, and backs. And all you young bucks are just a quick knee twist away from an arthroscopy and ACL reconstruction.

Sure it will have absolutely nothing to do with this thread's topic. But at least it's something I know a whole lot about as opposed to amplifier design like on this thread or opera/foreign languages like on Baldr's thread.

I think I'm back in the hunt for that top title....

May 26, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #20,472 of 151,485
One difference between a surgeon and an engineer is nothing bleeds when I cut into it. But both jobs require a high level of technical skills and deep understand of how different parts of complex systems interact. And since if my projects die on the table it's only a loss of money and time not of life, you went to school longer than I did. :)

May 26, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #20,474 of 151,485
So I've been pondering what a guy's gotta do around here become a Headfier Supremus or whatever the top post level appellation is called.

I'm just a lowly "Headfier." Even as an old fart, I am WAY too competitive to accept being a peon by posting only repetitive impressions as to how wonderful my Schiit stack and associated components sound. You've all heard it. I've got nothing more interesting to say.

I've got no really cool engineering background stories to titillate you all. I've not had bazillions of tons of equipment over the years to discuss.

I feel like a loser lurker sitting around in his Mom's basement in his underwear. I've got to pick up my game if I'm going to continue hanging around here.

Since I have ZERO engineering background but am an Orthopedic Surgeon in my day job, I figure I can boost my post count by giving out a lot of free medical advice.

All you old guys have bum knees, hips, and backs. And all you young bucks are just a quick knee twist away from an arthroscopy and ACL reconstruction.

Sure it will have absolutely nothing to do with this thread's topic. But at least it's something I know a whole lot about as opposed to amplifier design like on this thread or opera/foreign languages like on Baldr's thread.

I think I'm back in the hunt for that top title....
One more post and you will hit the 100 mark and then be a 100 plus. My situation in life with parental care and the like kept me a lurker for at least two years......I will hit 500 by 2020:beerchug:but hey I started at the get go with the original Lyr!

May 26, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #20,475 of 151,485
I remember when I used to post all the time. In the last 3-4 months it seems like theres a few folks in these schiit threads ready to jump on anything you say, either taking it personally or telling you that you're wrong, or arguing with each other about who's right/wrong and I just don't want to get involved with the childish back and forth.

P.S. To the few that I'm describing above; you probably think this post is about you, don't you? :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back