Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 26, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #20,476 of 150,456
May 26, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #20,477 of 150,456
So I've been pondering what a guy's gotta do around here become a Headfier Supremus or whatever the top post level appellation is called.

I'm just a lowly "Headfier." Even as an old fart, I am WAY too competitive to accept being a peon by posting only repetitive impressions as to how wonderful my Schiit stack and associated components sound. You've all heard it. I've got nothing more interesting to say.

I've got no really cool engineering background stories to titillate you all. I've not had bazillions of tons of equipment over the years to discuss.

I feel like a loser lurker sitting around in his Mom's basement in his underwear. I've got to pick up my game if I'm going to continue hanging around here.

Since I have ZERO engineering background but am an Orthopedic Surgeon in my day job, I figure I can boost my post count by giving out a lot of free medical advice.

All you old guys have bum knees, hips, and backs. And all you young bucks are just a quick knee twist away from an arthroscopy and ACL reconstruction.

Sure it will have absolutely nothing to do with this thread's topic. But at least it's something I know a whole lot about as opposed to amplifier design like on this thread or opera/foreign languages like on Baldr's thread.

I think I'm back in the hunt for that top title....

To reach that lofty level you have to spend entirely too much time on Head-Fi, and get into long winded arguments / discussions on such things as the width and depth of the soundstage as it relates to the angle of the transducer and the adjustments made by the recording engineer. And whether that is actually the way that the artist intended it, or only that of the headphone engineer and recording engineer, and therefore, not a true representation of the original music as played at the venue or in the studio.

Your opinion, like most others here on Head-Fi, need have little basis in fact. Actually, it will more rapidly inflate your post count if you ignore facts altogether, and just keep insisting that your opinion is the correct one, and all others are fallacious.

Or not. :ksc75smile:

May 26, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #20,479 of 150,456
The Wife just walked over, looked at my iPhone while I was typing a post, and said, "Are you talking to those men again? Why don't you get a real life?"

Thanks, Honey. Post count just put me over!!!

Man do I LOVE her!!!!
Isn't this part of our real life?

May 27, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #20,480 of 150,456
So I've been pondering what a guy's gotta do around here become a Headfier Supremus or whatever the top post level appellation is called.

I'm just a lowly "Headfier." Even as an old fart, I am WAY too competitive to accept being a peon by posting only repetitive impressions as to how wonderful my Schiit stack and associated components sound. You've all heard it. I've got nothing more interesting to say.

I've got no really cool engineering background stories to titillate you all. I've not had bazillions of tons of equipment over the years to discuss.

I feel like a loser lurker sitting around in his Mom's basement in his underwear. I've got to pick up my game if I'm going to continue hanging around here.

Since I have ZERO engineering background but am an Orthopedic Surgeon in my day job, I figure I can boost my post count by giving out a lot of free medical advice.

All you old guys have bum knees, hips, and backs. And all you young bucks are just a quick knee twist away from an arthroscopy and ACL reconstruction.

Sure it will have absolutely nothing to do with this thread's topic. But at least it's something I know a whole lot about as opposed to amplifier design like on this thread or opera/foreign languages like on Baldr's thread.

Bad knees right here! I`ll keep you posted :)

May 27, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #20,481 of 150,456
-/.../-

You could team up with Cozzi and other doctors and start a thread on how to be a healthy headfi'er.
Sure somebody around here wants some free medical advice.
Perhaps even collect and verify some some of the many studies of music as medicine. Most of us feel it, but even some open minded doctors seem to acknowledge the healing properties of music.
Added:
There's something inherently wrong with systems promoting quantitative inputs and over quality.
At sea we're always encouraged to question and contribute. But speaking without adding anything useful is considered noise. Like repeating yourself or others. At courses if the instructor complains about our silence we'll explain that It's probably because we all agree on what was said by others.
So all my respect to the so called lurkers. Imagine being new to this thread and be faced with 1400 pages.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #20,482 of 150,456
As you can see right under my name, I will never be a Headphoneus Supremus.
It will always state "formerly known as cozzi".
So I'm unburdened in that respect.
I changed my username to my real name because it does not sit well with me to hide behind one. (this is a strictly personal opinion)
I even changed my avatar to a picture of myself but that got so many comments about Constanza being far better to look at that I had to change that back.
As for giving medical advice via internet... I really don't like doing that.
It's dangerous.
I give out warnings now and then. The danger of and why you should never use IEM's for example.
Music is indeed improving health. So are optimism and the act of laughing.
Cancer studies with children confirmed the positive influence of all that.

May 27, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #20,485 of 150,456
At sea we're always encouraged to question and contribute. But speaking without adding anything useful is considered noise. Like repeating yourself or others. At courses if the instructor complains about our silence we'll explain that It's probably because we all agree on what was said by others.
So all my respect to the so called lurkers. Imagine being new to this thread and be faced with 1400 pages.

There's something inherently wrong with your statement.
It smothers all creativity and all things that keep a thread alive and a fun place to be.
We all crave for the next piece of revealing info about our beloved Schiit-pile.
AND we like to be seen as a community where interaction, besides trading pure intel, is a part of human nature.
Personally I regard the "pure intel" seekers/traders as the lurkers.
They never engage in common banter and scold people who do.
What a poor, dark and frightening world we would live in if those people could steer us all in that direction.
Even in the surgical operating theatre there's banter, music, jokes and indeed the needed tech-talk.
This thread is neither a military operation nor an intelligence service.
It is (and rightly so) fun.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #20,486 of 150,456
Like Cozzi, my screen name is my real name. I hear these words all the time from detractors:

"Real original screen name, huh? What, you STILL are on AOL??? What an old fart!!! Get with the times!"

I was one of the very early adopters of AOL when it was just a message board, but I just couldn't get a really cool screen name because all of the best ones already were taken. In frustration, I said "Phuck it, what about "FrogButt"?.................

FrogButt later decided that DSNORD requires less explanation!

PEACE.

May 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #20,489 of 150,456
The Wife just walked over, looked at my iPhone while I was typing a post, and said, "Are you talking to those men again? Why don't you get a real life?"

Thanks, Honey. Post count just put me over!!!

Man do I LOVE her!!!!
Get her a pair of good headphones a DAC and Amp (all Schiit), etc. Direct her to head-fi and she can find a new joy of debating audio with you online, to our entertainment. :L3000:

May 27, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #20,490 of 150,456

There certainly are significant similarities and differences between medicine and engineering. Both are based on scientific principles and understanding of system interaction, but medicine, in my engineering opinion, requires much, much more understanding of how humans live and think, as well as how their systems interact. In your world, the treatment plan for a 30 year old woman with a defective knee is probably much different from that prescribed for a 85 year old patient. Also, surgeons are artists in how they practice their trade, and some are much more skilled than others-----ask any good surgical nurse who claims that they can tell which surgeon did a procedure in their hospital just by looking at the incision site. In my engineering opinion, being a surgeon is like being the conductor of a symphony orchestra-----all of the musical notes [or the medical procedure steps] are the same, all of the instruments and their players [OR staff] are the same, but for some reason the symphony conducted by Karajan sounds SO much better than the same work conducted by XXX. In closing, I assume that is why you "practice" medicine--it appears to me to be 25% science, but 75% art. Be glad that I was never artistically inclined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back