Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #18,976 of 150,689
  Addressing Mike as "Sir Michael" does more harm to his reputation than good.
It's better not to shove him on the heap of privileged white men, it would taint the accessibility of Schiit gear as well.
One of the good things in the US is the non existence of any nobility.

We had a Prince, but he passed away! 
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #18,977 of 150,689
I stopped by the Schiitr on Friday.  Great news: Men Without Hats is available for listening in the both the 2 channel and headphone rooms.  I had my computer with me but didn't think to bring it in and fire up my music.  That would have been ideal.

The coffee is good and the guy whose name I can't remember was really nice.  He did hard-sell me on my way out; he asked if I wanted some stickers, and I said yes, I'd like one.  He insisted that I take two.  I caved under the pressure.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #18,981 of 150,689
Having spent some considerable time researching tubes for the LYR2 et al, it is painfully clear that they are a 'dying breed', particularly the exotic stuff which are largely unattainable for mere paupers like myself...

So, what we (read I) need is an announcement of LISST-CCa for $100 a pair

...that might blow a bit of a hole in the tube market ! Altho' I guess some people who have already invested heavily in tube exotica might be a tad upset.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #18,983 of 150,689
  That would indeed be very nice.
I would need two pairs for the different types of tubes on the Valhalla 2.
Don't even know if its possible.

Only the input tubes on the Valhalla change the sound signature.  Power tubes not so much.

So, only one pair...

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #18,985 of 150,689
  Having spent some considerable time researching tubes for the LYR2 et al, it is painfully clear that they are a 'dying breed', particularly the exotic stuff which are largely unattainable for mere paupers like myself...

So, what we (read I) need is an announcement of LISST-CCa for $100 a pair

...that might blow a bit of a hole in the tube market ! Altho' I guess some people who have already invested heavily in tube exotica might be a tad upset.

Ler them get upset.......    
L3000.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #18,986 of 150,689

Mmm. Why should they be upset if they already have great tubes for rolling and can add LISST and keep on rolling.
A very nice add on to the market I think.
I was under the impression tube factories where reviving all over the world.
Could be wrong on this though.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #18,987 of 150,689
  Mmm. Why should they be upset if they already have great tubes for rolling and can add LISST and keep on rolling.
A very nice add on to the market I think.
I was under the impression tube factories where reviving all over the world.
Could be wrong on this though.

They would not be upset if they already have them.  Only if they want to buy them now.

And yes there are several current tube manufactures that produce new tubes, but most of the great tubes are the NOS vintage tubes from the 50's and 60's.

And they are becoming more rare and expensive...

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #18,988 of 150,689
"If Schiit ever figures out how to fit a multibit DAC into the Jotunheim chassis they will have a killer product on their hands. "

The Bifrost can be ordered with Mutibit and it's the same size, right?

Yep...unfortunately it's not balanced. This is one reason I haven't replaced my magni/modi stack with Jotunheim and ????. Hopefully they'll put out an upgrade to the Bifrost or announce a similarly sized Balanced, multi-bit dac (w/a Bimby trade-in program).

From my perspective, the Bifrost is a great product but I really wish I could've gotten the Mimby instead...feel like I've got a $250 dac in a $600 shell (dons Schiit Fanboy retardant suit). :wink:

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #18,990 of 150,689
One would expect better tubes because of more controlled standard- and (maybe) robot manufacturing.

Hmmm...that would be rational.

Actually, the tube manufacturing process is one of those rare processes that is impervious to CI methodologies. Therefore, we are relegated to hunting through abandoned warehouses in the middle of Russia, etc. to find the really listenable tubes and then spending hours trying to match their properties -- which may only stay similar for a few hours/days/months. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back