Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #18,961 of 150,691
Be aware Vidar has no concessions for HT - no relay switching, auto sensing or remote turn on. You'll still need the remote control power strip. And you might find 100 wpc a little ...enthusiastic... for near field listening. It's designed more for running speakers on the other side of a medium to large room.

[edit] Ah. I see the UPA-2 is rated for 125 w so you'll be used to overkill.

The power on can be handled by one of those smart triggering power strips, where I can plug the receiver into the sense outlet and the power amp into one of the switched outlets.  When the sense outlet increases in power draw, the switched outlets turn on, and vice versa, so this isn't a huge problem. As long as - that is - the Vidar doesn't do something silly like enter a standby mode when it first receives power, in which case that option is out.

I actually bought the UPA-2 for my RBH sx-6300 towers I'm going to use for my home theater system.   They are 4 ohm speakers and the manufacturer recommends 100-300W to drive them.   I was worried my Deon AVR-x1300W might not be up to the task and wanted to supplement it on the two main channels.

Problem is my Denon doesn't have pre-amp outputs on the main channels.  (what I thought were pre-amp outs for the mains on the back were actually pre-amp outs for a zone 2, which doesn't help me much :frowning2:

So, now I'm either going to have to buy a different receiver with pre-amp outs (I've only had this one for a couple of months, so that feels very wasteful) or just use the interrnal amp in the receiver to drive the sx-6300's. The manual claims it can handle 4 ohm speakers on all channels, but there is no spec for its output into 4ohms.  It is rated at 80w intro 8 ohms.   I'm just hoping it is powerful enough to not clip at normal listening levels, and doesn't have too terrible of a THD at 4 ohm.  :frowning2:

Well, I've also read about these resistor devices that claim to take a high-level output and convert it to line level, but I can't find much in the way of serious testimonials for them, and they seem a bit like a risky hack...  (though if anyone knows anything about these, I'd certainly appreciate input)

So anyway, yeah, that's why the UPA-2 is at my desktop serving overkill duty.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #18,963 of 150,691
Report from the Schiitr

I visited the Schiitr today and can report that it indeed real - and a very nice spot to relax and listen to good music on good gear. I decided to take the scenic route and arrived at downtown Newhall after a nice drive on the mountain roads. LA is known for its congested freeways, but the backroads are often both scenic and fun to drive. When I arrived I was the only person there - talk about kid in a candy store! Later another person arrived.

Here are some photos:

This is just about the coolest desk clock that I've ever seen. I want one!

The speaker room with Yggdrasil - Saga - Vidar driving Salk speakers. There was a pair of KEF speakers as well. There is a Ragnarok too, but it wasn't hooked up to the speakers. I used it to drive headphones:

The headphone room with the entire range of amps from Fulla 2 to Gungnir Multibit/Mjolnir 2. The amps are all hooked up to Surface Pro 4 devices:

The headphone wall with a selection of headphones. Tip to headphone manufacturers: You may want to make sure that your headphones are represented here. I didn't see any models from Audeze or Focal, for example (hint, hint):

The mighty Jotunheim:

The excellent Gungnir Multibit with Mjolnir 2:

First I tried the speaker room. I have the Saga and I really like it. The Salk speakers sound very good with the Vidar. The bass on deadmau5 tracks has the appropriate punch. Next, headphones. After my time with the Jotunheim during CanJam I really wanted to spend more time with it. First I tried it with a ZMF Omni. ZMF headphones have a musical sound that I really enjoy and the Omni paired well with the Jotunheim. My listening confirmed my impressions from CanJam - the Jotunheim is a really good amp! Later I switched to the MrSpeakers Ether (the non-flow version with the red ring) using balanced cables since my co-visitor needed the 3.5 to 6.5 mm adapter. The Jotunheim sounds really good with the Ether as well. Punchy, dynamic bass with natural mids and smooth treble. I had forgotten how good the original Ether sounds - most of the focus lately has been on the Ether Flow, which is really superb.

Since I had the room mostly to myself I couldn't resist switching back and forth between the Jotunheim and Gungnir Multibit/Mjolnir 2. So what do you get for 4x the price of the Jotunheim? To my ears you get better defined bass, more sense of space and a more resolved, but still smooth treble. How much of this is due to the multibit DAC is hard to say. One thing is certain IMHO: If Schiit ever figures out how to fit a multibit DAC into the Jotunheim chassis they will have a killer product on their hands. 

Some music examples: 'Down to the River to Pray' by Alison Krauss from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack. (Great movie, Netflix it if you haven't seen it.) The multiple singers are easier to tell apart and sound more spacious and lifelike with the Gungnir MB/Mjolnir 2 combo. The hammer-like sound in the beginning of 'The Package' by A Perfect Circle from the Thirteenth Step album sounds more lifelike and like it's floating in space.

In retrospect I should have planned ahead and brought my own headphones to try with the various amps. Next time perhaps I should bring my laptop as well so I can listen to my own music. I understand that both headphones and laptops are OK to bring to the Schiitr. Many thanks to the friendly staff today. I had a great time and I'm sure that I'll be back!

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #18,964 of 150,691
Oh we have own nobility here. The Political Class. Both sides of the aisle. Pass all kinds of laws on the rest of us but nothing applies to them. Just like any other country.

(Stepping off my soapbox now. Don't want to get banned!!!)

Sir Michael is a perfect handle for a guy who is slaying some big ass dragons for the benefit of all of us. However, if he humbly prefers to go by Madame, I'll play the game!!!!

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #18,965 of 150,691
So with Yggy dwarfing way more expensive DACs, and Vidar about to do the same to Amps, and Freya chewing up the Pre-amp category, Schiit is positioned to flip the value curve on high end audio in 2017.

The Schiitr is showcasing KEF LS50s as an appropriate bang for the buck transducer. I own them, and they also blow out the performance/cost curve. And adding a JL Audio e110 sub just totally fills in the bottom. And there IS a way to make it even better:

So all we need now is a Schiit crossover that blows away a $3000 JL Audio CR-1 Active Crossover which may be the best out there.

Come on boys, make it happen. Obsolete another audio category for us!!!!!

The next time I meet someone with an active crossover............................will be the first time.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #18,967 of 150,691
"If Schiit ever figures out how to fit a multibit DAC into the Jotunheim chassis they will have a killer product on their hands. "

The Bifrost can be ordered with Mutibit and it's the same size, right?

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #18,968 of 150,691
I take all of the "high end" magazine and web site reviews with a huge bucket of salt.   I am sure the Yggy is a fine sounding DAC.  I am encouraged that something that didn't cost "gold plated Bentley) money got a rave review.  As much as I enjoy reading reviews of gear in those magazines, and even more so when they like something I own, I still think most of what they describe is imaginary.  It's not fair to think they are unreliable when they review astronomically priced gear and think they are infallible when they review one of our favorites.  I also think a lot of high end consumers like to impress each other about how much things cost.  A guy that is sure there can be $25,000 dollars of value in a DAC, amp, or preamp is not going to buy a $2300 one no matter who says it sounds great.  It's just not exclusive enough.  I hope Schiit sells a ton of them from that review.  It will be interesting to hear if it goes that way.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #18,973 of 150,691
"If Schiit ever figures out how to fit a multibit DAC into the Jotunheim chassis they will have a killer product on their hands. "

The Bifrost can be ordered with Mutibit and it's the same size, right?

​Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant put the multibit DAC and the Jotunheim amp into the same size chassis as today's Jotunheim. You are correct about the Bifrost Multibit - I have one and it's about the same size as the Jotunheim (and the Saga), although the chassis is a bit different. On Bifrost the aluminum curves around and covers the bottom; on the Saga/Jotunheim it doesn't.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #18,974 of 150,691
​Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant put the multibit DAC and the Jotunheim amp into the same size chassis as today's Jotunheim. You are correct about the Bifrost Multibit - I have one and it's about the same size as the Jotunheim (and the Saga), although the chassis is a bit different. On Bifrost the aluminum curves around and covers the bottom; on the Saga/Jotunheim it doesn't.

I see. Yes, that would probably be the next logical step. Who knows, Jot 2, with MB option could be coming soon.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #18,975 of 150,691
​Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant put the multibit DAC and the Jotunheim amp into the same size chassis as today's Jotunheim.

I see. Yes, that would probably be the next logical step. Who knows, Jot 2, with MB option could be coming soon.

That question started to come up almost as soon as the Jotunheim was released, and Mike Moffat (Baldr) has said it isn't possible because of space and power requirements:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv/465#post_12835563

If Jotunheim size isn't possible, then I'd settle with balanced multibit and Jot amp fitting together into a Gungnir size chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back