Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 2, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #17,686 of 149,388
  Embrace your biases.  If you like something then you like it and the "why" doesn't matter.  :)

I think this is the correct approach to hifi. If you like Schiit because its Made in the USA or its tubes glow or Jason seems like a good dude and it makes you like the product - and your music - more, who cares if you'd tell it apart in a double blind test?

I get why people don't want to be "ripped off" by someone selling something that doesn't make any discernible difference in a scientific study, but my benchmark is different - does it make me happy? Of course, feeling like I'm being deceived does *not* make me happy, so most of this nonsense gets filtered out easily.

But if a piece of gear puts a smile on my face for whatever reason, out comes the wallet. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #17,687 of 149,388
  Rites of Spring, the DC hardcore band? Or is this a different Rites of Spring? I'm surprised a vendor would use lo-fi 80s punk as a demo to sell speakers to audiophiles.

I'm gonna guess that should be "The Rite of Spring" by Stravinsky, not Rites of Spring 

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #17,689 of 149,388
This is exactly why blind testing is the gold standard for gear comparison. If you can't pick a difference consistently in a blind test, then you are fooling yourself.

You can't. You can try all you like, but the human brain is hard wired to operate from all sorts expectation bias. Only a blind test isolates you from the bias and produces 'real' results.

Which is why this cable silliness has NEVER passed a credible blind test.
. Maybe some of you "double blind" folks should embrace your inabilities to discriminate or you inexperience as a listener? How are you at judging fine art?

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #17,691 of 149,388
  Rites of Spring, the DC hardcore band? Or is this a different Rites of Spring? I'm surprised a vendor would use lo-fi 80s punk as a demo to sell speakers to audiophiles.

Stravinsky.   Early 20th Century Russian punk.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #17,693 of 149,388

Stravinsky.   Early 20th Century Russian punk.

LOL. That's what was said about him when the work debuted in Paris.  Lots of fun anecdotes surrounding that premier.

The "Rite" has been a lifelong love of mine, definitely on my short list for that desert island people are always talking about.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #17,695 of 149,388
Some 20's punk stuff.

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #17,696 of 149,388
Mar 3, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #17,697 of 149,388
I'm using a Bimby with a Jot and was thinking of adding a Valhalla 2 to use with some headphones. What do you think about adding a Sys to switch the Bimby between the two amps? I'd just keep the Sys' pot on max so it would have minimal effect on the signal.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #17,698 of 149,388
I'm using a Bimby with a Jot and was thinking of adding a Valhalla 2 to use with some headphones. What do you think about adding a Sys to switch the Bimby between the two amps? I'd just keep the Sys' pot on max so it would have minimal effect on the signal.

I have used mine exactly like that and it works well...

beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #17,700 of 149,388

RCA Y cables out of Bifrost to both amps, simple, works great.

JMTC & IMHO,
r2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back