Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 4, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #17,716 of 150,851
I would like to see Schiit go head to head with Rogue Audio.

I want an affordable USA made tube amplifier. I would love a set of SET mono blocks.

I plan to buy an Atlas Magnum II this year ... but would prefer a Schiit alternative priced competitively.

I have some Schiit and some Rogue Audio gear. They go well together. Mark from Rogue is a great guy with a passion for audio. In a way they are similar to Schiit except they started before the internet and are now constrained by the obsolete dealer model. Rogue started because tube gear was so expensive.

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #17,717 of 150,851
  I've been considering getting the Magni Modi stack, but I am concerned about the AC adapters and any noise coming from them.
I sleep in the same room and I don't want unplugging those to be a part of my life.

So can anyone verify whether there is any noise coming from the wall warts?
First and foremost interested in the wall wart for the Magni Uber.

ALL schiit wall warts are only transformers, not switching regulators, so there is no high harmonic noise. My 3 wall warts [Magni 2U, Modi 2U, Wyrd] are totally silent.

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #17,718 of 150,851
As a general rule, I hate wall warts.

That said Schiit's are about the quietest I have found...

beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #17,719 of 150,851
trying to self remove multiple post

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #17,720 of 150,851
I have some Schiit and some Rogue Audio gear. They go well together. Mark from Rogue is a great guy with a passion for audio. In a way they are similar to Schiit except they started before the internet and are now constrained by the obsolete dealer model. Rogue started because tube gear was so expensive.

I'm glad to hear they go well together, as I think even the Atlas is pushing my justifiable budget.

It's the dealer model I hate ... thank you for the insight as I did get the impression that Rogue was an East Coast Schiit, but couldn't understand why they don't do direct sales!!!

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #17,721 of 150,851
I'm glad to hear they go well together, as I think even the Atlas is pushing my justifiable budget.

It's the dealer model I hate ... thank you for the insight as I did get the impression that Rogue was an East Coast Schiit, but couldn't understand why they don't do direct sales!!!

I can absolutely second that Rogue make stellar gear and in no way, IMO, is it overpriced. It is solidly built in USA and their customer support is superb. 

As far as direct sales, they started well before that model was ever even conceived and before the internet, so....

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #17,722 of 150,851
I can absolutely second that Rogue make stellar gear and in no way, IMO, is it overpriced. It is solidly built in USA and their customer support is superb. 

As far as direct sales, they started well before that model was ever even conceived and before the internet, so....

I should've clarified ... the Atlas pushes my justifiable budget for my usage model. I believe the Atlas and Cronus are the best values I've researched, and have no issue with their price per se.

I lived on bases overseas in the 90's and had to purchase almost everything using a dial-up connection (that wasn't offered at the BX). I was also one of the first hacked in the CDNow scandal. Internet sales did exist in the 90's, but I concur I was ahead of the game, and was a minority in a then retail ruled world. Just sad I have to go through a middle man now to get a Rogue and would be awesome if Schiit stepped in as a challenger.

=)

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #17,723 of 150,851
I should've clarified ... the Atlas pushes my justifiable budget for my usage model. I believe the Atlas and Cronus are the best values I've researched, and have no issue with their price per se.

I lived on bases overseas in the 90's and had to purchase almost everything using a dial-up connection (that wasn't offered at the BX). I was also one of the first hacked in the CDNow scandal. Internet sales did exist in the 90's, but I concur I was ahead of the game, and was a minority in a then retail ruled world. Just sad I have to go through a middle man now to get a Rogue and would be awesome if Schiit stepped in as a challenger.

=)

No worries, I was not attacking. We are probably around the same age! I still have nightmares about dial up!
Yes, I was an early adopter of buying online. Back then also factor how much more expensive shipping was.

In case any body brings this up, I don't see Rogue and Schiit as direct competitors currently. The bulk of Rogue's line up
are preamps and power amps, all tube, and some hybrid. They do not make DACs or stand alone headphone amps, although headphone amps are outfitted in their integrated and preamps. 

I agree that Schiit and Rogue gear would work absolutely perfectly together.  They also have a lot in common philosophically. They don't cater to audiophile ********.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #17,724 of 150,851
No worries, I was not attacking. We are probably around the same age! I still have nightmares about dial up!
Yes, I was an early adopter of buying online. Back then also factor how much more expensive shipping was.

In case any body brings this up, I don't see Rogue and Schiit as direct competitors currently. The bulk of Rogue's line up
are preamps and power amps, all tube, and some hybrid. They do not make DACs or stand alone headphone amps, although headphone amps are outfitted in their integrated and preamps. 

I agree that Schiit and Rogue gear would work absolutely perfectly together.  They also have a lot in common philosophically. They don't cater to audiophile ********.

Edit: we must be ... lol ... I say no worries all the time and just noticed I started this with the same opening as you ... if you say cool beans now but hated that expression as a kid, it's confirmed!

No worries, but I definitely should have been clearer! The Rogue is my only option ATM ... I refuse to pay 3x more for 3x less from other companies built overseas!!! Rogue's amps are shockingly well featured and priced in comparison....as shocking as it was when I discovered Schiit!

The screeching sounds of modems handshaking is a nightmare I'm glad to have awoken from!!!

I'm probably not going to get a chance to audition the Rogue, so I'm thankful for your input ... this is going to be a hope and pray I made the right choice purchase!!!

I got lucky on shipping because of APO AP address on base = a California zip code ... but it still wasn't cheap! The BX had such limited choices, and CDs in Japan were Y2400 ($24) ...only worth it when the export was truly a unique offering in comparison to domestic (Nirvana and Korn stick out in memory as having an extra disc or special export tracks).

I need to research first so I don't ask a dumb question, but if I go Atlas, I'll need a phono input solution for my Saga ... preferably from Schiit.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #17,725 of 150,851
Edit: we must be ... lol ... I say no worries all the time and just noticed I started this with the same opening as you ... if you say cool beans now but hated that expression as a kid, it's confirmed!

No worries, but I definitely should have been clearer! The Rogue is my only option ATM ... I refuse to pay 3x more for 3x less from other companies built overseas!!! Rogue's amps are shockingly well featured and priced in comparison....as shocking as it was when I discovered Schiit!

The screeching sounds of modems handshaking is a nightmare I'm glad to have awoken from!!!

I'm probably not going to get a chance to audition the Rogue, so I'm thankful for your input ... this is going to be a hope and pray I made the right choice purchase!!!

I got lucky on shipping because of APO AP address on base = a California zip code ... but it still wasn't cheap! The BX had such limited choices, and CDs in Japan were Y2400 ($24) ...only worth it when the export was truly a unique offering in comparison to domestic (Nirvana and Korn stick out in memory as having an extra disc or special export tracks).

I need to research first so I don't ask a dumb question, but if I go Atlas, I'll need a phono input solution for my Saga ... preferably from Schiit.

The Mani is the perfect solution! I got my mine late last week but have had no time to actually give it a good listen. But initial impressions are it is a winner.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #17,726 of 150,851
Honestly the Cronus Magnum and Schiit Gumby is a phenominal combo. I use a Stager Silver Solids silver interconnect and a Sonore MicroRendu. After an hour of warmup there is just amazing music coming out of my system. My only complaint is the hour to sound sublime.

I also know someone with a Yggy and Rogue Athena combo. They really enjoy this combo. I would love if Rogue went internet direct and basically dropped prices equivalent to dealer margin ~40%. Its not going to happen.

My phono section is a Lounge Audio LCR, another Internet direct company with a great product and amazing service. I have never tried the Mani.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #17,727 of 150,851
Honestly the Cronus Magnum and Schiit Gumby is a phenominal combo. I use a Stager Silver Solids silver interconnect and a Sonore MicroRendu. After an hour of warmup there is just amazing music coming out of my system. My only complaint is the hour to sound sublime.

I also know someone with a Yggy and Rogue Athena combo. They really enjoy this combo. I would love if Rogue went internet direct and basically dropped prices equivalent to dealer margin ~40%. Its not going to happen.

My phono section is a Lounge Audio LCR, another Internet direct company with a great product and amazing service. I have never tried the Mani.

There is one real advantage for Rogue not to sell direct. Not having to deal directly with customers.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #17,728 of 150,851

Yes! A huge PLUS ONE for the Stager Silver Solids.  Great, cable, great guy.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #17,729 of 150,851
There is one real advantage for Rogue not to sell direct. Not having to deal directly with customers.:evil:

Ha! Fat chance! I've already peppered them with questions, and they've been extremely helpful! :D

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #17,730 of 150,851
The Mani is the perfect solution! I got my mine late last week but have had no time to actually give it a good listen. But initial impressions are it is a winner.

I would definitely like to get an update on your impressions as you get time with your Mani!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back