Schiit Fulla 2 vs Modi 2 Uber
Oct 1, 2017 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blastedmyphone

New Head-Fier
I've been debating between using the Fulla 2 as a DAC for my Magni 3 or if I should invest more and go for the Modi 2 Uber.

The Fulla 2 would serve me well since it can be a great portable AMP+DAC alternative for console gaming in the living room and etc, but... Are the extra ports on the Modi 2 Uber actually worth the $50 extra? How does the DAC itself compare to the Fulla 2?

I'm gonna be using the setup probably with an AKG K712s and futurally a HD650 and my speakers as well.
Sources would be my PC (with Realtek drivers), the Galaxy S6, a PS4 here and there.

Should I go Fulla 2+Magni3 and maybe upgrade to a Modi 2 Multibit in the future or do the Magni 3+Modi 2 Uber combo right away?

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 5
I haven't tried the Fulla but the Modi 2 lineup (I own the Uber) does look better in combination with the Magni 3, HOWEVER, I've heard such good things about the Fulla DAC that I highly doubt the Modi 2 Uber would be much of an improvement. This is just a guess of course, but I expect others who have had both will agree with me.

I would suggest you save up for the Multibit as that DAC, according to the majority of users I've encountered, is noticeably better than the Modi 2/Uber, and most any other sub $100 DAC out there. People tend to say that DACs in the sub $200 range aren't that different, while the Multibit and more expensive DACs are noticeably better. This is just what I've read so YMMV, but I'd put money on a bet saying that the more experienced users here will confirm my suggestion: "save for the Multibit because the Uber isn't much better than Fulla"

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.
I think that's gonna be the better choice. I'll be getting the Fulla 2 first of all.

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 5
I've been debating between using the Fulla 2 as a DAC for my Magni 3 or if I should invest more and go for the Modi 2 Uber.

The Fulla 2 would serve me well since it can be a great portable AMP+DAC alternative for console gaming in the living room and etc...

Are you sure it will work easily on your console? Barring software issues you'd still need two USB cables to hook it up, one for power.

...but... Are the extra ports on the Modi 2 Uber actually worth the $50 extra?

Depends on what you're after. Assuming no software issues and it can work off a powerbank (or you can hook it up to a wall charger), then the Modi2 wouldn't help what you're trying to do here.

Modi2 Uber on the other hand has optical inputs, so as long as consoles continue to have optical output, and they won't use any non-PCM format (I'm not even sure SPDIF can output anything that is not PCM), then it will work with no fussing about the software.

I'm gonna be using the setup probably with an AKG K712s and futurally a HD650 and my speakers as well.
Sources would be my PC (with Realtek drivers), the Galaxy S6, a PS4 here and there.

Should I go Fulla 2+Magni3 and maybe upgrade to a Modi 2 Multibit in the future or do the Magni 3+Modi 2 Uber combo right away?

Why not just wait and save then get the Modi2 Multibit with the Magni?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back