Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #1,666 of 1,697
Are you using the extra micro USB power jack to power the Fulla 2 or letting it get power from the source? Only thing I can think of is maybe the power header on the USB ports reaching its limits. Did you add any other USB peripherals? Maybe the Fulla 2 is suddenly drawing more power for some odd reason.
Nah, only the singular input. It never was a problem for the past two years, so I doubt adding the extra power will fix the problem. I'll give it a shot though.

May 24, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #1,669 of 1,697

Some more photos here
Prototype of the "Schiit Hel" spotted at High End 2019 in Munich (driving the new Audeze LCD-GX):

Looks like a bigger Fulla 2 with a microphone input and a 3D printed top.

Edit: Hell => Hel

From the "Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up" thread

Schiit Hel, heh heh heh. Yep! Think Fulla Biceps. Aka Fulla with 4x output and mic input. Also think Fulla 3. Aka Fulla 2 with mic input.

Just playin. Or game on.

More info forthcoming.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #1,670 of 1,697
I have a µUSB power supply that outputs 5V/350mA. Other issues aside is it sufficient to power my Fulla 2 to drive either the 80Ω or 250Ω Beyerdynamic DT770s?

I was using an Apple wall wart but the new one doesn't have a detachable USB code which will be more convenient in the future.

It's a Kyocera Travel Charger SSW-1675

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #1,673 of 1,697
Anyone notice any improvement when using as computer dac by powering it through the separate power USB input?

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #1,674 of 1,697
Anyone notice any improvement when using as computer dac by powering it through the separate power USB input?
with my hp laptop from work not at all. With the ipad/iPhone neither just no pop-up about low voltage

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,675 of 1,697
I blocked off the two power pins from the PC's usb connection and plugged an ac adapter into the power usb input. There's noticeably less poppy electrical noise now, especially noticeable in the variable line out to my speakers.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #1,676 of 1,697
I blocked off the two power pins from the PC's usb connection and plugged an ac adapter into the power usb input. There's noticeably less poppy electrical noise now, especially noticeable in the variable line out to my speakers.

Thank you. What is the purpose of blocking power pins? It doesn't recognize the separate power input if PC gives enough power on its own?

Sep 12, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,677 of 1,697
Thank you. What is the purpose of blocking power pins? It doesn't recognize the separate power input if PC gives enough power on its own?
Actually, there is a significant difference in what the Fulla 2 does. It REPORTS as 0mA of power with the second micro USB plugged in. I haven't tested if it actually doesn't use power from the first input - and I suspect it still does use a little because there is a very noticeable difference in the sound of the noise floor when I block off power pins vs when I don't.

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #1,678 of 1,697
For a while now I seem to have fallen victim to the dreaded power surge problem. This happens in two ways.

1) If I plug in my headphones too slowly, it shorts out and breaks the connection until I manually unplug and replug the power supply.
2) If I toggle an unrelated device that happens to be on the same power line, such as my fan. It doesn't always happen, but frequently enough to be seriously annoying. The mind link "I need some air → restart headphone amp" shouldn't exist.

What were the common strategies to mitigate this problem? I guess I could buy a UPS, but that just seems like a lot of hassle and since the Fulla is the only device affected, I might just go straight for an upgrade.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,679 of 1,697
For a while now I seem to have fallen victim to the dreaded power surge problem. This happens in two ways.

1) If I plug in my headphones too slowly, it shorts out and breaks the connection until I manually unplug and replug the power supply.
2) If I toggle an unrelated device that happens to be on the same power line, such as my fan. It doesn't always happen, but frequently enough to be seriously annoying. The mind link "I need some air → restart headphone amp" shouldn't exist.

What were the common strategies to mitigate this problem? I guess I could buy a UPS, but that just seems like a lot of hassle and since the Fulla is the only device affected, I might just go straight for an upgrade.

Personally, I don't use a separate power input.

I use AQ Jitterbug which regulates both USB power and data. Noise floor seems low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back