Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 10, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #46,396 of 149,950
Cambridge Audio and Auralic provide apps with their "music transports" that are twins of Roon.
Very nice software indeed.
Sorry, Pietro, Auralic's app is a disaster in usability and reliability compared with Roon. And it does not even do the critical thing that Roon does for me, which is to manage a unified collection with multiple endpoints. Last but not the least, Roon works with a wide variety of endpoints, Auralic only with their overpriced ones. When I got home from work tonight, I fired up the Roon app on my phone and started playing a suggested album on the living/dining room system for dinner (The Bad Plus Joshua Redman if you need to know). After dinner, my wife went to watch something, and I moved to my home office to listen on headphones to a new jazz album, Anna Mette Iversen's Invisible Nimbus. All the music comes from my home NAS or Qobuz. No fuss, just works. I don't need to remember what's where, and I can control play from any handy device (phone, iPad, Macbook). Compared with the cost of the rest of my gear, a Roon lifetime subscription has already paid for itself many times over.

May 10, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #46,397 of 149,950
No offense intended but I do find it funny that Roon’s ease of use in a multi room setup is being described in this Schiit thread. Where most, if not all, Schiit products you dont have a remote control to turn on your devices.

And I am pretty the CD only of Vinyl only folks here are secretly smiling that they dont have to tinker about Roon, Audirvana, tidal etc etc

May 10, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #46,398 of 149,950
Schiit Hel, heh heh heh. Yep! Think Fulla Biceps. Aka Fulla with 4x output and mic input. Also think Fulla 3. Aka Fulla 2 with mic input.

Just playin. Or game on.

More info forthcoming.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 10, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #46,399 of 149,950
No offense intended but I do find it funny that Roon’s ease of use in a multi room setup is being described in this Schiit thread. Where most, if not all, Schiit products you dont have a remote control to turn on your devices.

And I am pretty the CD only of Vinyl only folks here are secretly smiling that they dont have to tinker about Roon, Audirvana, tidal etc etc

No offense intended but I don't think you understand how simple Roon is to use once you have everything setup.

CD transports and turntables?? Here, let me secretly laugh at all the work those they don't use ripped tracks have to go through to play music....

May 10, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #46,400 of 149,950
Sorry, Pietro, Auralic's app is a disaster in usability and reliability compared with Roon. And it does not even do the critical thing that Roon does for me, which is to manage a unified collection with multiple endpoints. Last but not the least, Roon works with a wide variety of endpoints, Auralic only with their overpriced ones. When I got home from work tonight, I fired up the Roon app on my phone and started playing a suggested album on the living/dining room system for dinner (The Bad Plus Joshua Redman if you need to know). After dinner, my wife went to watch something, and I moved to my home office to listen on headphones to a new jazz album, Anna Mette Iversen's Invisible Nimbus. All the music comes from my home NAS or Qobuz. No fuss, just works. I don't need to remember what's where, and I can control play from any handy device (phone, iPad, Macbook). Compared with the cost of the rest of my gear, a Roon lifetime subscription has already paid for itself many times over.
Well said. The fact that it includes such ease of use to multiple zones is amazing. I have a Mac mini in my stack that feeds Bifrost for the main system, then a headphone station from the same seat using an Airplay DAC, the MyRo Air into a Darkvoice tube amp. Upstairs in the kitchen we have a Sonos as a zone, and apple TVs show up as a zone as well. It all works flawlessly, and plus!, the curation, recommendations, integration with high res streaming services, extensive controller support, integration with some of the best hifi companies going right now, AND an active forum and support structure... I’m sold.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #46,401 of 149,950
My Yggdrasil and surrounding gear are always on. My Lyr 3 is not, but it is easily reachable from where the the headphones are.

May 10, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #46,402 of 149,950
No offense intended but I don't think you understand how simple Roon is to use once you have everything setup.

CD transports and turntables?? Here, let me secretly laugh at all the work those they don't use ripped tracks have to go through to play music....

No offense taken. I tried out Roon and for the ease of use it brought I had done the same with a NAS + Audirvana. Took me a few more clicks than Roon.

Edit: this is in reference in a multi room setup. I see little use of having a noisy house playing different songs at the same time.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #46,403 of 149,950
Schiit Hel, heh heh heh. Yep! Think Fulla Biceps. Aka Fulla with 4x output and mic input. Also think Fulla 3. Aka Fulla 2 with mic input.

Just playin. Or game on.

More info forthcoming.
Oh dammit, I hate it when you do this to us.

The suspense!

May 11, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #46,404 of 149,950
this is in reference in a multi room setup. I see little use of having a noisy house playing different songs at the same time.
Not necessarily at the same time. Such as you can start listening to an album in the living room, then continue listening in the office, with both using the same source. If you have more than one audio system in the house, there are benefits to connecting them together.

May 11, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #46,405 of 149,950
Not necessarily at the same time. Such as you can start listening to an album in the living room, then continue listening in the office, with both using the same source. If you have more than one audio system in the house, there are benefits to connecting them together.

This is true. I dont dispute that. But right now I dont need that option. I only have 1 setup that i want to invest in. And should I setup on more for my study room I will probably reuse my Audirvana license and my mac. (I have not tested if Audirvana can be used at the same time though).

One last thing I feel I need to clarify, if you guys have Roon, then I am happy for you. You chose a deal that would benefit you and your lifestyle/preference. Sure I may not understand why Roon is so popular amongst Audiophiles/Hobbyist but maybe Im just not a Roon customer.
Im just like Paul from PS Audio who likes to keep it simple and use Audirvana

May 11, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #46,406 of 149,950
I know Pietro`s M.O. when it comes to listening to music. Like he already said: he only has one system he listens on, so a big chunk of added value is lost there.
His collection is immaculately organised so he doesn`t need any software sorting it out or looking for album-art.
For exploring and looking for new music he was using Tidal last time I visited.
So the only reason I can see for someone like him to pay 500 euro for Roon is that it sounds better.
And when I was reading up on Roon, the Auralic users were the majority of people who said their native app sounded better.

I did get Roon myself because I DO have multiple set-ups and my collection IS a mess and to me the Roon interface was an improvement over the free raspberry distros.
But if it only did one of those things for me I would have deemed it a huge waste of money.

So there you have it, it TOTALLY depends on how (and where) you use it and what you think is important if it`s worth it or not (to you).

May 11, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #46,407 of 149,950

Yep...many of them can't wait to get a Sol - without a dustcover - no hassles there :ksc75smile:

Frequently bought together

upload_2019-5-11_6-29-56.png
upload_2019-5-11_6-30-5.png
upload_2019-5-11_6-30-14.png
upload_2019-5-11_6-30-23.png
upload_2019-5-11_6-30-31.png

What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?

Roon 2.0 :wink:

x1_desktop_Sennheiser-Product-Momentum-true-wireless-T_P-2.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-11_5-53-43.jpeg
    upload_2019-5-11_5-53-43.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2019-5-11_5-56-7.jpeg
    upload_2019-5-11_5-56-7.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2019-5-11_5-58-22.jpeg
    upload_2019-5-11_5-58-22.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2019-5-11_6-23-28.jpeg
    upload_2019-5-11_6-23-28.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #46,408 of 149,950
I know Pietro`s M.O. when it comes to listening to music. Like he already said: he only has one system he listens on, so a big chunk of added value is lost there.
His collection is immaculately organised so he doesn`t need any software sorting it out or looking for album-art.
For exploring and looking for new music he was using Tidal last time I visited.
So the only reason I can see for someone like him to pay 500 euro for Roon is that it sounds better.
And when I was reading up on Roon, the Auralic users were the majority of people who said their native app sounded better.

I did get Roon myself because I DO have multiple set-ups and my collection IS a mess and to me the Roon interface was an improvement over the free raspberry distros.
But if it only did one of those things for me I would have deemed it a huge waste of money.

So there you have it, it TOTALLY depends on how (and where) you use it and what you think is important if it`s worth it or not (to you).
Thanks.
Indeed as you write. Roon is utterly pointless for me.
I switched from Tidal to Qobuz by the way.
After trying Roon aside Auralic LS I concluded that the latter sounded far superior (to me).

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #46,409 of 149,950
No need to thank me. I need to thank you for doing things differently so I can expierence other options.

On SQ:
My experience is too limited to say if Roon has no sound or it`s own sound but it sure sounds different from all the other stuff I tried.
I do like the way it sounds so for me it is not an issue. It did take some getting used to.

May 11, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #46,410 of 149,950

There are still some of us who prefer sound quality over convenience. Personally, I'm sticking with my vinyl and CDs. YMMV and I can live with that and your secret laugh.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back