Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #1,621 of 1,697
I finally bought a Fulla 2 and I'm super impressed. Function is perfect for my desktop. I have the pre-out connected to my AudioEngine2 speakers and am using a pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones at the moment. Both sound great with the Fulla 2. The sound is WAY more engaging than the Meridian Explorer2 that I've been using, which I find cold and analytical by comparison. I also have the original Fulla, but haven't been motivated to plug it in and compare it to the Fulla 2 since I'm enjoying the pre-out and tactile volume knob too much :sunglasses:

Most of my hifi dollars go toward my 2ch speaker rig, but I'm getting motivated to start adding some headphones to my collection. A pair of HD 650's are on the way.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #1,622 of 1,697
I got the Fulla 2 last week. I have had some time to play with it and unfortunately I had several mismatched things, which are not the fulla's fault. My phone, which was my intended source, is a Huawei which USB Audio Player Pro's site lists as a problematic brand for using USB audio. I have found this to be true with either glitches in audio every once in awhile, or it simply stops playing after a few minutes. But that is the phone's fault.

My headphones are HD600s which I did not feel paired well with the Fulla 2. As a disclaimer, this decision was made after listening to them on a Valhalla 2 for a year, so I have better options for powering them.

The IEMs I was planning on using with the Fulla are Etymotic HF5s, which are 16 ohm impedance with, according to their website, sensitivity of 105 dB SPL sensitivity at 1 kHz at 0.1 mV. With that level of sensitivity I could barely move the volume knob before it started to get loud. (maybe to around the 7:30 position, assuming 7 o'clock is 'off'). I have partially remedied that with a 75 ohm adapter that bumps up the impedance. Now I can get to 8:30 or so.

I may look for some decent closed back headphones to run with the Fulla in a bit.

In short, I had a bunch of equipment mismatches for the Fulla, but managed to get it to work in my work desktop system which was its purpose.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,623 of 1,697
Look into the Sennheiser HD598 closed back. I think they are only available from amazon, and listed as HD598cs.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,624 of 1,697
I received the Schiit Fulla 2 last week. It seems to work great with my Macbook Pro. However, on my iPhone I have noticed a significant battery drain while using it. It is roughly a 1% drain every 5 minutes (at best), which seems a bit high for a device that is plugged in to its own power source. I thought when using the power-only micro-usb port, that it was supposed to be "self powered", similar to the many battery powered DAC/AMP combos out there. However, as far as I can tell, it almost seems like using the power-only micro-usb port on the Fulla 2 ONLY tells the device it is connected to that it doesn't need any power, yet it still actually draws the power from the device anyway. Anyone else notice this behavior? I've tried using both a power bank, and just plugged in straight to a USB phone charger, but the results were the same.

That said, I've found that I can use the Apple Lightning to USB3 adapter (the one with the extra lightning power port on it) to supply power indirectly to the Fulla 2, without draining the iPhone battery. Actually, in this configuration, the phone will also very slowly charge as well...very slowly. Seems like a good portion of the power is going to the Fulla 2. This setup works quite well, but I find it a little odd that I'm not actually using the power-only port on the Fulla at all.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,625 of 1,697
I received the Schiit Fulla 2 last week. It seems to work great with my Macbook Pro. However, on my iPhone I have noticed a significant battery drain while using it. It is roughly a 1% drain every 5 minutes (at best), which seems a bit high for a device that is plugged in to its own power source. I thought when using the power-only micro-usb port, that it was supposed to be "self powered", similar to the many battery powered DAC/AMP combos out there. However, as far as I can tell, it almost seems like using the power micro-usb port on the Fulla 2 ONLY tells what device it is connected to that it doesn't need any power, yet it still actually draws the power from whatever it is connected to anyway. Anyone else notice this behavior? I've tried using both a power bank, and just plugged in straight to a USB phone charger, but the results were the same.

That said, I've found that I can use the Apple Lightning to USB3 adapter (the one with the extra lightning power port on it) to supply power indirectly to the Fulla 2, without draining the iPhone battery. Actually, in this configuration, the phone will also very slowly charge as well...very slowly. Seems like a good portion of the power is going to the Fulla 2. This setup works quite well, but I find it a little odd that I'm not actually using the power port on the Fulla at all.
IIRC, mac usb ports are famous for being stingy on power, so what you’re saying makes sense.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #1,626 of 1,697
IIRC, mac usb ports are famous for being stingy on power, so what you’re saying makes sense.

It actually seems to work quite well with my Mac, when drawing power solely from the Mac's USB port. No problems there at all. I was just kind of hoping I could use the power-only Micro USB port on the Fulla 2, when using the thing with my iPhone. The battery drain on my phone was just a bit too much to handle, so I upgraded from the Lightning to USB2 adapter to the Lightning to USB3 adapter, and just started powering the Fulla 2 from the adapter instead, and I don't use the power-only micro USB port on the Fulla at all. I just thought it was kind of weird that there was substantial battery drain on my iPhone, even with the Fulla2 power-only port in use...not sure if that is normal or not.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,628 of 1,697
Just wondering if the fulla 2 have any more portential in sound compare to the dacport slim on focal clear?
Doesn't seem like the fulla 2 is doing better than the dacport except the extremely good knob.
Also for a pair of cans as expansive as focal clear is it worth to get a really good dacamp?

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #1,629 of 1,697
Dacport Slim's amp was nicer sounding to my ears than the Fulla 2. Fulla 2 was on the thinner side.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #1,630 of 1,697
Just Brought Fulla 2. Need Clarification on 3 things

* After Stopping Music i can hear noise when i turn the knob to Full Volume. It gone When i Close the App( I Checked with Foobar, Windows Media Player, VLC). i am using Windows 7 62 Bit. It will not happen when i listen to Video in Youtube using Mozilla Firefox or in the Mac Book Pro. What May Cause this Noise ?
* Can i use the Variable PreAmp Out for IEM.
* Variable PreAmp Out Sounds Flat then Headphone Out. Headphone Out is Not Clear in the MID when compared to Variable PreAmp Out.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,632 of 1,697
Just Brought Fulla 2. Need Clarification on 3 things

* After Stopping Music i can hear noise when i turn the knob to Full Volume. It gone When i Close the App( I Checked with Foobar, Windows Media Player, VLC). i am using Windows 7 62 Bit. It will not happen when i listen to Video in Youtube using Mozilla Firefox or in the Mac Book Pro. What May Cause this Noise ?
* Can i use the Variable PreAmp Out for IEM.
* Variable PreAmp Out Sounds Flat then Headphone Out. Headphone Out is Not Clear in the MID when compared to Variable PreAmp Out.

- I am curious why you are turning the knob to full volume, but what sort of noise are you hearing and how are you connected? I know that with my phone, the headphone jack is noisy, but if no app is using audio it just turns it off. When I start an app that uses audio I can hear the channel turn on as there is suddenly low level noise. It is possible the apps you have open are keeping the USB audio out going and that channel has low level noise that can only be heard at higher volumes? And maybe the Mac Book Pro has a cleaner USB or headphone out (however you have the Fulla connected).
- One possible problem with using the Variable Preamp out for headphones is that according to Schiit's website, the preamp outs have impedance of 75 ohms. Generally you want the output impedance to be considerably less than the impedance of the headphones (I have seen anywhere from at least 8 to 10 times less, so 75 ohm output would be for at least 600-750 ohm headphones). This impedance difference can affect the sound you hear which probably is why you hear a difference.
- What headphones are you using? The above mentioned impedance difference is probably causing the frequency response difference you are hearing.

How is the treble quality with the Schiit Fulla 2?

Is the treble sweet, is it harsh or is it between sweet and harsh compared to listening directly to your original source?

I have not found the treble to be harsh, though I also admit I have not compared it to directly listening to the source recently because the headphone out on my work computer is abysmally noisy. The the USB signals from the mouse bleed into the headphone out jack. The Fulla 2 provides a drastically cleaner sound for me, but I realize there are people out there with better quality sources.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,633 of 1,697
Thank you judson_w.

There are three things that make the sound engaging for me: Detail resolution, presence, and sweet treble. Presence is enough quantity of bass mids and treble. Equalizers help with that. I would rather have a source that is very good in all those 3 areas, than having a source that is excellent in 2 of them and is just acceptable in the other area. From what I have read online (a lot so far) I am sure that the Fulla 2 is very good in detail resolution and presence. No one has said that it has hard treble (and that is good) and no one has said that it has sweet treble. I would like to know more specifics about the treble profile of the Fulla 2.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,634 of 1,697
Reading the last few posts...

Reminder maybe? This is a $99 portable amp powered by USB...

Seriously...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back