Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #1,007 of 1,697
Been listening to the fulla 2 off and on for a couple of weeks and I am very impressed. The fulla 2 does not match my bimby/jotunheim setup, but the sound is close enough to be somewhat disturbing.

To my ears it sounds significantly better than the dragonfly black (1.5) playing music from my iPhone (HiFiMAN RE-400). The fulla 2 produces a musical, airy, full sound. The dragonfly sounds thin in comparison. Just about everything I've played through it has put a smile on my face.

I don't notice a channel imbalance with the RE-400. It sounds just as good with my macbook pro both with headphones and connected to a pair of audioengine A2's.

No, my unit is not perfect physically, but I really don't notice the flaws unless I look very close. If you require physical perfection then you need to look elsewhere but my guess is you'll end up spending a lot more than $99. In my experience, the larger form factor schiit products (asgard/bifrost/gungnir) are more physically "perfect" - but of course they cost a lot more.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,008 of 1,697
Just got a second one today as was going to use on a different computer. Volume knob is basically leaning so much it touches side of the hole. Screw heads are damaged as well. Having not owned any of the schiit higher end stuff this sort of QC puts me off personally. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,009 of 1,697
  Just got a second one today as was going to use on a different computer. Volume knob is basically leaning so much it touches side of the hole. Screw heads are damaged as well. Having not owned any of the schiit higher end stuff this sort of QC puts me off personally. 

Photos? They shouldn't be that far off. Was the box damaged in transit?

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 8, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,010 of 1,697

I think the volume knob touching the side of the hole should be grounds for replacement. I would email schiit.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,011 of 1,697
  I think the volume knob touching the side of the hole should be grounds for replacement. I would email schiit.

Yes, they don't go out like that.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 8, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #1,013 of 1,697
I received my Fulla 2 today.  It sounds great with my Philips X2's.

I got the X2's recently, and found that they sound excellent on my phone.  However on my PC, they sounded flat and lifeless.  Both with my onboard sound and also on a cheap $7 USB sound card.  

I decided to try the Fulla 2 to see if I could get the X2's sounding as good with my PC as they do with my phone.  It does that.  No more flat, lifeless sound. 

Build quality is good.  Screws look like they should, flush, not chewed up.  Volume knob may be a tiny bit tilted, but I would not have noticed it if not for this thread which made me look for it.

My only issue with it, the USB ports are very tight.  It didnt pull the guts out of a usb cable when removing it (yet), but I think it will eat cables.

Tilted or not, I am enjoying having a smooth, top-mounted, volume knob way more than I feel like I should.  I just want to turn it all day.

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,015 of 1,697
Thanks Jason! I didn't take pics as sent back immediately. Box was fully intact! Customer service was excellent! Will grab another. Sorry for sounding butt hurt. Was disappointed earlier!

This is the proper way to handle your beef about a product.  Getting butthurt about it feels good in the short run, but makes you no friends or advocates.

(Although it did work exactly once for me, when a certain large software company did something boneheaded with a new release of their operating system, and they knew it was, in fact, boneheaded.)

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #1,016 of 1,697
Received the Fulla 2 (I ordered it even though I already had the Fulla 1).
The sound is really excellent. The construction is ok. I use it at work with a simple 32 ohm Sennheiser MX475 (ideal for me in this environment).
The channel imbalence when the volume is low is embarrassing but I accept it.
The big problem for me is that with the volume even only at 7'00 the sound is already way too loud! The paradox is there: there is a magnificent volume control button that I finally do not touch. The goal is to set the Fulla 2 to the lowest possible level without having the chanel imbalence. Not very funny.
Then... I am forced to drastically decrease the volume digitally on the PC, which is far from ideal.
What is really missing for me with this device is a gain switch.
I keep it because I find the sound very good, but with a lot, a lot of frustration ...

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,017 of 1,697
I just received my Fulla 2 on Tuesday.  Ordered on Feb 1 and received on Feb 7 all the way to Ontario Canada.  Fulla 2 is in pristine condition.  Volume pot is perfectly centred. I love this thing so much I was compelled to register here at Head-Fi and make my first post.

I don't have much to compare it to, other than onboard audio on a laptop, smartphone and an ancient M-audio Transit USB DAC.

Yes I'm a noob to headphone audiophilia, and my wallet is already starting to groan.

Everything I've played through it sounds amazing.  Things I've never heard before in music that I've listened to for years are all coming out.  24/96 files really shine but even 16/44 files sound amazing.

One of the most surprising and oddest things, in a good way, is the timing of the music.  I've never really noticed it before but with the Fulla 2 it seems as though the cadence and timing of the music is very even.  I don't know how to articulate it exactly.  Things just sound very even and balanced.  This may be the dreaded jitter, or the lack there of that I am actually hearing for the first time.  

For $99US (or about $1 million Canadian) you can't go wrong.  It sounds amazing to me.

Good job Schiit Audio, I can't wait to send you all my money!

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,018 of 1,697
  Received the Fulla 2 (I ordered it even though I already had the Fulla 1).
The sound is really excellent. The construction is ok. I use it at work with a simple 32 ohm Sennheiser MX475 (ideal for me in this environment).
The channel imbalence when the volume is low is embarrassing but I accept it.
The big problem for me is that with the volume even only at 7'00 the sound is already way too loud! The paradox is there: there is a magnificent volume control button that I finally do not touch. The goal is to set the Fulla 2 to the lowest possible level without having the chanel imbalence. Not very funny.
Then... I am forced to drastically decrease the volume digitally on the PC, which is far from ideal.
What is really missing for me with this device is a gain switch.
I keep it because I find the sound very good, but with a lot, a lot of frustration ...

I ran into roughly the same problem as you (see my posts earlier in the thread), but I think we're in the minority that both (a) listens at low/conversational volumes and (b) uses high efficiency headphones with amplifiers. Honestly, since the gain on the Fulla 2 is only 4.6dB, I'm not sure how much of a difference a gain switch would make (assuming you're just thinking of having unity gain as one of the options).

That said, your headphones (MX475) really aren't designed to be used out of a high powered source. As an example, the MX475s are so sensitive (103db/mW) that it only takes 0.05mW of power to hit 90dB. The Fulla 2 can output 360mW into 32 ohms, which means you have to limit the unit to using 0.014% of it's maximum power. No matter how you approach that, it's not going to give you much range to work with. For those headphones, if you want to control your volume primarily on the amplifier, you'd probably be better off using one of the smaller amplifier/DACs like a FiiO or Dragonfly that has significantly less available power.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #1,019 of 1,697
  For $99US (or about $1 million Canadian) you can't go wrong.

Hahaha, good one. Enjoy your Fulla! What headphones are you using? There have been varying reports about imbalance at low volume levels, which is common for sensitive IEMs and such. Just wondering.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,020 of 1,697

Hahaha, good one. Enjoy your Fulla! What headphones are you using? There have been varying reports about imbalance at low volume levels, which is common for sensitive IEMs and such. Just wondering.

Phillips SHP9500s.  

I don't notice any channel imbalance at my usual listening levels.  Then again, my wife says I'm deaf.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back