Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #796 of 1,697
  Yes, I was going to just return it and forget about the whole thing since I had contacted tech support and I was told it was normal to hear loud scratch noise every time you turn the Volume Pot. Its a failed reverse psychology. Who would want to run the chance of getting another unit that will sound the same since what bothers you is seen as normal by the very own manufacturer? I am glad there are forums with cool people and anyone can gather/research reliable info on your favorite hobby!!!
atsmile.gif

"it was normal to hear loud scratch noise every time you turn the Volume Pot" - interesting. Fulla 2 was my first purchase from Schiit and I planned a Multi Dac and Jot shortly. Reading all this makes me rethink my planned purchases...

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #797 of 1,697
"it was normal to hear loud scratch noise every time you turn the Volume Pot" - interesting. Fulla 2 was my first purchase from Schiit and I planned a Multi Dac and Jot shortly. Reading all this makes me rethink my planned purchases...

I agree. I was really interested in purchasing the Fulla 2. However, this does cause me to hesitate. Not because it makes the scratching sound, but the fact that Schiit manufactured a product that does that by default/normal.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #798 of 1,697
I agree. I was really interested in purchasing the Fulla 2. However, this does cause me to hesitate. Not because it makes the scratching sound, but the fact that Schiit manufactured a product that does that by default/normal.

Please allow me to attempt a bit of balance here...

Folks, please don't succumb solely to the words of a potentially "noisy minority".  Many Fulla 2 owners have units with pots that aren't scratchy and work exactly as advertised -- your typical "silent majority" of satisfied owners.  

Not to diminish those who are having issues, but Schiit is very willing to work with you as they were with me when I got one of the defective early units that didn't work with iDevices.  They made it right quickly.

By all means do what you think is right for you...and consider reading through the hundreds of pages of those who gush about their Schiit products.  

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #799 of 1,697

Folks, please don't succumb solely to the words of a potentially "noisy minority".  Many Fulla 2 owners have units with pots that aren't scratchy and work exactly as advertised -- your typical "silent majority" of satisfied owners.  

Not to diminish those who are having issues, but Schiit is very willing to work with you as they were with me when I got one of the defective early units that didn't work with iDevices.  They made it right quickly.

By all means do what you think is right for you...and consider reading through the hundreds of pages of those who gush about their Schiit products.  

Thank you BigDaddyNC for your balanced comments.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #800 of 1,697
I wouldn't normally post, but just to add another data point, my Fulla2 has no noise when turning the knob. I've been using it with my new HE400i with no problems for a few days now.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #801 of 1,697
I wouldn't normally post, but just to add another data point, my Fulla2 has no noise when turning the knob. I've been using it with my new HE400i with no problems for a few days now.

I started a thread about that pairing in the Science forum. It was between that, the Schiit Magni/Modi, or NFB-11. Would you mind giving me your impressions of the Fulla 2 with the 400i. Is it powerful enough, do you notice any distortion, are the other two options probably a better upgrade, etc.?

I'd really appreciate it!

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #802 of 1,697

Excellent point. I think it is just so hard to get lost in the vacuum of research/forums. When trying to make the best decision with your money, the negative response will always call more attention to itself than the positive one. Perspective is always very important. Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #803 of 1,697

Folks, please don't succumb solely to the words of a potentially "noisy minority".

Noisy minority? huh? First thing I do every time I get a faulty product is to contact the store or manufacturer. If I get an answer that is not logical, moreover a "please don't bother us with little things!" It is when I look for help. I posted here just to see if it was in fact right that it is normal for Volume Pot to sound scratchy every time it was turned as the tech in Schiit stated. I have no experience with amps/dacs or schiit products. It wasn't my intention to be label as "noisy minority" as you labeled me. I am very pleased that enough people replied then I made my decision to just made an exchange which was great.
I dont think forums should be used solely to praise the manufacturers. Schiit did right with me, but I needed to be sure the Fulla 2 was worth a second try.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #804 of 1,697
I started a thread about that pairing in the Science forum. It was between that, the Schiit Magni/Modi, or NFB-11. Would you mind giving me your impressions of the Fulla 2 with the 400i. Is it powerful enough, do you notice any distortion, are the other two options probably a better upgrade, etc.?

I'd really appreciate it!

I have no higher end gear to compare it to, so I can't say if those would be better options. But I don't notice any distortion and it seems plenty powerful. I don't think I'd ever put it over 30% volume or so. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #805 of 1,697
@MarkArtz - Apologies if I offended -- it was not intended.

I was merely referring to the phenomenon where negative opinions/reviews are often quickly shared while those who are satisfied often remain quiet and content, and the resulting "balance" tends toward the negative.

Whatever you choose, may you listen joyfully!

(...while of course, Charles Mingus' "Tensions" off Blues & Roots now plays through my headphones)

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #806 of 1,697
One of the silent ones talks a bit... (or a lot... sorry for the long post)

I've had the Fulla 2 for 3 - 4 weeks now, I use it with Shure SE535 which I got at the same time as the Fulla, Though I have AKG 701Q haven't had the chance/will to try them on the Fulla, as it is mostly used at work using an iphone 6 or ipad 2 as source. I have used the device from my lap top with a small Yamaha amp/receiver.

My impresions: 
Build, I didn't notice at first glance the misalignment, nor do I care; inserting the cables into Fulla needs a bit of force but angling the cable works, I always pull/push the cables close to the terminal; stripping a cable doesn't seem a likewise problem. I use crappy cables, don't mind for the fancy ones.
Using the iphone as a source with the camera connection cable I've never had a an issue, it always work. Sound is A LOT better with Fulla than with iphone headphone jack, more detail, more definition, and a better volume control; with the SE535 never heard any hiss at lilstening levels, only found hiss by moving the knob up to 12 o'clock, with this earphone listening at those levels would be really painful, never had to go more than 8 or so with regular listening. I almost only listen to classical I appreciate the "black" on the silent passages Fulla produces (there is more hiss on the iphone, though I prefer keep listening to the music instead of listening to the equipment). For me it is great having dynamic range, good presentation, in a very reasonable setup. The shures are a bit midcentric but do have a very nice way of presenting bass, pipe organ, low regiser on the piano, bass... it is all there, Fulla never fails in dynamic passages, when the orchestra, choir and soloists go from really quiet to full gas, obviously there are better dacs and better amps but for the price/footprint I can´t fault the device and I can say it has brought a bit of pleasure to the workplace.
With netflix I can say that it works better than getting the output from the headphone jack of my laptop (vaio sony) using stereo track of series/movies it really works fine, the line out is a feature I really appreciate, the dac inboard the Fulla is really nice, for entertaining purposes it works, and works just fine.
Just for fun I tried the fulla as dac with a Vali 2 as amp to the SE535's and yes there is a difference in the amp, Vali 2 (on low gain) works better than the inboard amp in the Fulla, but for  convenience this has been one of my best investments, just today a friend at work, asked about the quality of sound on his cel phone, so I let him try the Fulla, he really liked the way his music sounded, so he asked if all the hassle to connect, buy thing etc was worth it, for me it does. Much better than the iphone/ipad alone, sometimes I just take a break to listen some passage, it's nice listening the beauty on the music, and neither fulla nor my earphones get in the way.
Regarding the scratchy volume some people have reported, I can make my volume sound like that if pushing while turning the knob, if I only turn I don't have the issue, so for me it is a no issue.
This are only my opinions from having and using the product for this 4 weeks, maybe at some other time in the future I'll get another one so I can leave one at the office, while the other travels around with me.
best regards,

A. Rivas

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #807 of 1,697
I wonder if the scratchy knob can be fixed by using a bit of force to make sure it's aligned properly. Haven't noticed any problem with mine, but my knob is on-center

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #808 of 1,697
Mine is 90% silent ( can still hear it very little if u pay attention ) with my dt990. But with the Th-x00 , oh boy , thats another story. First the pot noise is loud , and at loud volume the right driver makes weird artifact noise over few high hz tones. Never happen with any other amp.

I mailed schiit 2 day ago. Still no news......

And like few others. Makes me feel shady regarding my next Schiit product purchase plan.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #809 of 1,697

I have no higher end gear to compare it to, so I can't say if those would be better options. But I don't notice any distortion and it seems plenty powerful. I don't think I'd ever put it over 30% volume or so. 

That's great to know!  One more question, is the wall wart included to prevent the Fulla 2 from draining your laptop's battery? Whether it is plugged in to the wall or getting its power from the computer, it should still perform at the same quality, correct?

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #810 of 1,697

That's great to know!  One more question, is the wall wart included to prevent the Fulla 2 from draining your laptop's battery? Whether it is plugged in to the wall or getting its power from the computer, it should still perform at the same quality, correct?

No wall wart is included.  All you need is a phone charger or any other USB power source plugged into the power port.  I use one of those Anker portable battery/chargers when I am away from my computer. 

There should be no difference in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back