Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #827 of 1,697
Does anyone know how the DAC (line-out) compares to various other devices, both by Schiit and maybe Fiio? I was wondering if the DAC itself is solid enough as an upgrade point in case I ever want to get a better dedicated headphone amp, or if the Fulla 2's DAC is already lacking in some parts.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #828 of 1,697
  Does anyone know how the DAC (line-out) compares to various other devices, both by Schiit and maybe Fiio? I was wondering if the DAC itself is solid enough as an upgrade point in case I ever want to get a better dedicated headphone amp, or if the Fulla 2's DAC is already lacking in some parts.

The chip isn't "lacking", as it's the same AKM 4490 chip used in other Schiit DS DACs (except the older chips in the DS Gungnir).

What's lacking, in theory, is that the analog stage is not as isolated, nor as purpose dedicated, to what you get by going with separates.  That being said, I would expect a Fulla 2, acting as a DAC, to perform well vs an inexpensive DS DAC like the plain Modi.

I don't think you'd do appreciable better until you get to Modi Multi or the bigger, upgradeable DACs like Bifrost and higher.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #829 of 1,697

What's lacking, in theory, is that the analog stage is not as isolated, nor as purpose dedicated, to what you get by going with separates.  That being said, I would expect a Fulla 2, acting as a DAC, to perform well vs an inexpensive DS DAC like the plain Modi.

I don't think you'd do appreciable better until you get to Modi Multi or the bigger, upgradeable DACs like Bifrost and higher.

I strongly concur with this, having used the Fulla 2 as DAC only I find it very competent, clearly not better than my Bifrost MB but Bifrost is 5x Fulla2. I think as a DAC only it should be close to the Magni (which I don't have). In my opinion it sounds better than the iphone 6 DAC. Fulla 2 + Vali 2 sounded really great instead as just very nice. I really like this small device.
best regards,

A. Rivas

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #831 of 1,697
Then I'm having a hard time understanding what reasons there are at all to get a Modi (non-uber or multibit or anything) over a Fulla...

Hi Selbi, the reason to get the modi standard would be having the ability to handle via the DAC up to 24/192, with uber you get more inputs and multibit gets you a different experience (in my view, totally worth it), what you choose depends on needs, satisfaction level, etc... For my work desktop Fulla 2 is the best option, I will go for a Modi multibit in the future (for me and my needs it is 3x times worth it) but that is for me, my experience and needs.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #832 of 1,697
Then I'm having a hard time understanding what reasons there are at all to get a Modi (non-uber or multibit or anything) over a Fulla...

I am In your Boat I suspect most will have a hard time differentiating from the Standard Modi 2 and the Fulla 2 (When used as a Standalone DAC).  I Posted this earlier in the thread, I Found the Modi 2 Uber to be an Improvement over the Fulla 2 as expected with the better Power supply and internals.  Being the Same price as the Standard Modi 2, the DAC portions being similar add in the Amp Section and the  Versatility of the Fulla 2 and there is almost no question about which one to go with.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #833 of 1,697
I'm trying to decide between this and the schiit stack v2, although spec wise they are very similar, I have heard from some sources that the sound on the fulla 2 is more grainy than on the modi/magni combo, could someone who has heard both tell me if this is true or not? The headphones I'd be using with either option are the HD600s, would they benefit from the extra power the stack has?

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #834 of 1,697
Take to this thread that I started covering the exact same issue.  I was thinking about the Fulla 2, Modi2/Magni2, or the NFB-11.  Some really good feedback to help you come to a decision.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831791/amp-whats-the-point/90

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #835 of 1,697
I have the Fulla 2 and it's a very decent DAC/AMP! I use it with my iPhone and the sound quality is better than the built in iPhone DAC. I also use it with my iMac, great sound! I recommend.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #836 of 1,697
Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a closed back headphone to use at work, I like the Fostex T50rp a lot but I'm not sure my fulla 2 can drive them, since everyone keeps telling these are very heard to drive. I drives my HD600 fine, are the T50rp that much harder?

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #837 of 1,697
Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a closed back headphone to use at work, I like the Fostex T50rp a lot but I'm not sure my fulla 2 can drive them, since everyone keeps telling these are very heard to drive. I drives my HD600 fine, are the T50rp that much harder?

Standard data everyone should provide when asking 'are X hard to drive':

For the T50RP:

What is the impedance?

What is the sensitivity?

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #838 of 1,697

Standard data everyone should provide when asking 'are X hard to drive':

For the T50RP:

What is the impedance?

What is the sensitivity?

50 ohm, 92db sensitivity. It should drive them fine with 230mw of power considering you'll hit 115 db SPL with 200mw.  At this level it would only take 15 minutes of exposure to damage your hearing.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #840 of 1,697

Users who are viewing this thread

Back