Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #856 of 1,697
  Where / how do most of you use your Fulla 2s? When I think about where I listen to music, and now having a headphone-jack less iPhone 7 (goddammit Apple), the only times I listen away from my stacks is on the bus (if I take it), or working remotely. My laptops are a 2010 MBP (good), and a recent Lenovo T460s (ThinkPad audio quality was trash on the T430s, I expect the same here).

Part of me kind of hates the idea of carrying more stuff / cables, but at the same time, sitting down at a coffee shop for a few hours, is it really a big deal to pull out your laptop, a Fulla 2, and plug it into your laptop? Effects on battery life noticeable?

I don't haul around my over-ear headphones with me -- remote are Westone 4R IEMs, if that colors anyone's thoughts...

Not a big deal at all to pull out at the coffee shop or other location, it's about the size of an oddly shaped deck of cards in volume. I don't notice much of a rundown from the Chromebook but the phone probably discharges about 15-25% faster.  (I haven't timed it or done the math, that's a gut interpretation)

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #857 of 1,697
Hi everyone, I just got my wonderful Fulla 2 as a gift to myself, which I paired with the 598SE. It works great, and my impressions as a newbie audiophile cannot be less than enthusiastic. There are though some issues I came across. As many other people on the thread said, there is a somewhat-of-a-problem with the tight fit of the two USB ports. I really do not consider this as a big problem because I noticed that they are already loosening up a bit.
The other issue bothers me a bit more. When I plug the 3,5 mm jack (which on the other end has an amplifier for the speakers with his 2 RCA) in one of the two outputs behind, both that output and the headphones plugged in the front start to make a feeble, but clear, interference noise. This noise is independent from the volume knob of the Fulla. The funny thing is that when I unplug the jack, the interference stops. 

I'm not very experienced, so I can't tell if this is some faulty unit or it is just a normal thing.

Many thanks.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #858 of 1,697
The other issue bothers me a bit more. When I plug the 3,5 mm jack (which on the other end has an amplifier for the speakers with his 2 RCA) in one of the two outputs behind, both that output and the headphones plugged in the front start to make a feeble, but clear, interference noise. This noise is independent from the volume knob of the Fulla. The funny thing is that when I unplug the jack, the interference stops.

Sounds like you have a ground loop with your speakers. Try a ground loop isolator.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #860 of 1,697
If i'm understanding what you are saying correctly, I have multiple grounds which can pickup some interference. I run some test: I completely unplegged everything except the Fulla from the pc and the headphones. I then proceded to plug behind just a 3,5-6,3 mm adapter: the interference is still here. I don't know if it matters, but the interference is not the classical 50 Hz ground noise, but is more like a buzzing syncopated noise (I'll try to provide some audio feedback)

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #861 of 1,697
That sounds less like a ground loop. Your first description sounded like it only happened when the speaker amp was plugged in.

Does the sound happen all the time or is it intermittent? Does it go away if you touch the case or volume knob?

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #862 of 1,697

is there anybody outside who can support my problems with "right timing" with the Fulla 2.
Does anybody noticed these problems, too?
Should i ask the Schiit Support?
Do they read this thread?
Are they interested in what consumer say about there unit?

Thanks for help.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #863 of 1,697

is there anybody outside who can support my problems with "right timing" with the Fulla 2.

Thanks for help.

What is right timing?

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #864 of 1,697
thanks for asking:

in my terms "timing" means for e.g. that if all music and acoustic events has in the attack too much softness, the right music flow can not develop . So the missing attack time makes all things lash and muddy.
So combined there is no right Timing left. Music sounds like "no matter". Nothing seems correct, room-information (reverb) are missed , too.

The Fulla2 sounds in this case "nice", but not interesting. Its too much kind of "don't hurt me".

Another thought about this, whats about the golden Adapter from mini jack to 6,3 jack of my AKG K712 Pro? Is there a mistake and can i expect more attack when i switch? Maybe a new jack-socket for mini jack, so that i am free of using a jack adaptor?! Are there any experiences?

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #865 of 1,697

Thanks for help.

Honestly, it sounds like you just don't like the sound signature of the Fulla 2, and nothing you do will be able to "fix" that.

If you think your unit is defective, then I'd have someone else listen to it and see what they think.  If they think it's OK you probably just don't like the sound and probably should consider returning or selling it.

If you like the form-factor (big vertical knob), but not the sound you can look at the JDS Element (Dac / Amp) or a passive volume control like this or an external control for your computer like this.

If you think it's just the AMP section that you don't like, you could try just using the Fulla as a DAC and connecting another amp to it's line out.  If you like the sound of your mac-book, I would probably just save your money and listen that way (and get whatever volume control you like).

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #866 of 1,697
I did s
That sounds less like a ground loop. Your first description sounded like it only happened when the speaker amp was plugged in.

Does the sound happen all the time or is it intermittent? Does it go away if you touch the case or volume knob?

I did some further trial and error and i discovered that:
1) It doesn't depend on the headphones i use (both heard from the 598 and some crappy IEM)
2) It doesn't depend from the power source. I used my portable Anker battery connected to the rightmost USB port and it was still there.
3) Touching the volume know does not chance the noise volume, but it seems to pan it differently across the L-R channels
4) The noise depends on where the fulla is located or its data cable is located. I guess it depends how close it is from the souce of the interference (monitor, pc, keyboeard)

As I stated before, without the rear jack plugged in there is absolutely NO interference, just when I plug something behind. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #867 of 1,697

Just got paid.  So I placed an order.  Hopefully this is the last of my audio purchases...

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #868 of 1,697
I did s
I did some further trial and error and i discovered that:
1) It doesn't depend on the headphones i use (both heard from the 598 and some crappy IEM)
2) It doesn't depend from the power source. I used my portable Anker battery connected to the rightmost USB port and it was still there.
3) Touching the volume know does not chance the noise volume, but it seems to pan it differently across the L-R channels
4) The noise depends on where the fulla is located or its data cable is located. I guess it depends how close it is from the souce of the interference (monitor, pc, keyboeard)

As I stated before, without the rear jack plugged in there is absolutely NO interference, just when I plug something behind. 

If it happens with an adapter with nothing plugged into it, it sounds like an issue with the rear jack then. I'd suggest contacting Schiit tech support and see what they say.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #870 of 1,697
Yeah I liked the portability of a single unit that I could unplug and take with me, but also easily hook up to the magni 2 at home for a good setup.  I also have an all in one bluetooth/aux powered speaker which would pair well with the variable out of the fulla.  24/96 is plenty for me.  I haven't really seen any benefit with my 32/384 DACport HD.

I'm hoping to replace both my DACports since I'm usually at my desk anyway.  No need for a dongle dac when you use it with your desktop.

I also probably would have gone for the Magni 2 Uber, but the different metal finishes on the ouside and the more appealing price of the Magni 2 made me choose the cheaper option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back