Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #661 of 1,697
  I have been somewhat bitten by the bug, so I'd probably be lying if I said that setup will last me another 10 years, but I'm trying to resist. If anything, I'll probably try some open-backed cans next, as I have never experienced those.

My personal 2 cents on the open back is to start with the Senn 598's.  I have the 595's which I adore, and which sound fabulous amazing all that with the Fulla 2.  The 598's are supposed to be better in all ways than the 595's.  And they go on good sales on Amazon from time to time.  I would wear them all day at work if I wouldn't get the stink eye from everyone around me - and I don't listen that loud!

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #662 of 1,697
If you want to spend even less, there's also the Philips SHP9500.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #663 of 1,697
I'm still getting random clicking sounds, even with the Fulla moved away from my iPhone and not using the wall adapter. I can't seem to figure it out, they seem very random.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #664 of 1,697
  I'm still getting random clicking sounds, even with the Fulla moved away from my iPhone and not using the wall adapter. I can't seem to figure it out, they seem very random.

Guessing (and it is ONLY a guess) that your phone and software or data source isn't able to feed the Fulla constantly and you are hearing dropouts from when there is no data.   Comparison with another Fulla or with another source (like a desktop computer) should tell you quite a bit.

You also may hear bad mastering on your favorite recordings.  There are sound engineers out there who can't hear the clipping in their masters, or don't care.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #665 of 1,697
I don't get them when using my Gungnir with the same computer. It's a MacBook Pro and I'm using Audirvana+, along with Spotify, and YouTube for videos.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #667 of 1,697
+1

I use a new MacBookPro + Fulla2 and it's noiseless. No clicks, pops, static nothing but music on inky black. Same as with my Gumby. Quiet off the iPhone also. Speak to Schiit about getting one that works correctly.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #668 of 1,697
I'm still trying to figure out this more power = better performance equation.  If the headphone only draws a certain amount of power to attain a specific level of volume how does the non-utilized extra power help improve sound quality?  You may find a better designed amplifier out there that sounds "better" but I fail to see how more power gives a better sound if the headphone doesn't use any of it.  If the amplifier isn't clipping and you've attained an appropriate level of volume how is more power of any value?  Wouldn't damping factor, circuit design, and power supply cleanliness all be more important at that point rather than raw unused milliwatts?

It doesn't. As long as the amp doesn't distort audibly in listening ranges, then it's doing its job.

Now, how much one wants it distort to distort the sound to be "driven well" varies. Some love it a certain way as they don't like the sound of their expensive grained. Some hate it as they bought the headphone with the exact sound signature they like and airing it sounds terrible.

Sounding better does not mean "more power" or being "driven well," but that's what most people say when they don't know how to explain the increase in the part that they want to hear more of. "I want more bass and this amp intentionally gives more bass? More power! Want more mids and an amp gives more energy in the mids? It must also be more power! Some headphone sounds veiled and I bought an amp that is really really bright and happens to fix the veil? It must be more power of course! Tubes that distorts and sweetens the sound? Must be power and not any of the countless other reasons! :D"

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #669 of 1,697
The link on the previous page explained it better. It is not the power as much as it is the ability to handle the largest dynamic peaks in the music.

Anyhow, I'm curious to read more impressions of the Fulla 2. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #670 of 1,697
Welp, I got my Fulla 2 last night and it seems to do well.  It certainly is a step down from my Gumby, but that is to be expected.  It drives my HD-600 and HD-800s no problem, with setting the level between 9:00 and 12:00 depending on the source for an optimum sound level.

It looks like the final assembler took pains to make sure the jacks, knob, etc., were all properly lined up.  That said, it shows that the board holes and the steel don't quite line up perfectly.  The steel is all self-consistent, as are all the board pieces.  I wonder if there might be a minor issue with where the mounting holes are on the board.  I am guessing that Schiit takes the feedback here on Head-Fi pretty seriously, even if they don't acknowledge each person's comment.  That's completely consistent with what Jason has said in the past.

Unless it blows up in the next 14 days, I'm'a keepin' it.  Perfect for the at work office.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #671 of 1,697
I know some people are Anti LED, However in experimenting with some devices I would have liked to have some way of knowing if the Power USB Port was functioning. Not an issue with the USB data Port as it is some one easy to tell when its not recognized. I am still impressed with the Fulla 2 and this doe snot take away from its operation. But I cannot think of a way to verify that the power port is active.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #672 of 1,697
  I know some people are Anti LED, However in experimenting with some devices I would have liked to have some way of knowing if the Power USB Port was functioning. Not an issue with the USB data Port as it is some one easy to tell when its not recognized. I am still impressed with the Fulla 2 and this doe snot take away from its operation. But I cannot think of a way to verify that the power port is active.

Not on sight for sure. There's no quick way to check.  I leave mine plugged in all the time though so it's not a big deal, I know that it's working by plugging in an analog source since it's powered via USB without a problem from all of my current devices.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #673 of 1,697

Not on sight for sure. There's no quick way to check.  I leave mine plugged in all the time though so it's not a big deal, I know that it's working by plugging in an analog source since it's powered via USB without a problem from all of my current devices.

Genius. Funny thing is I have done this but did not connect the Dots. Maybe I had one too many adult beverages at the time. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #674 of 1,697
Listening to some Pink Floyd - Wish you were here right now at work. Chain is FLAC > Foobar2k > Anker Powerline 6' Micro USB > Fulla 2 > Sennheiser PX100-II.

This setup is fantastic. Volume pot is at 9'o clock right now with -15.00dB in Foobar2k. I wouldnt say that its loud, but my graphic design partner and I frequently bounce ideas off each other and I want to be able to easily hear him. 

The sound signature is similar to my HD650s, but lacking the detail and soundstage that the 650s do so well with my home setup of Mimby > Jotunheim > Balanced HD650s.

Very respectable little device and perfect for the audiophile at work who doesn't want $1000+ worth of gear sitting on their desk over the weekends to get moved around by the cleaners. For $99 I doubt you will find a better sounding amp/DAC. The DAC also noticeably improved the sound of the Presonus Eris 4.5 monitors on my desk using 3.5mm/RCA from the fixed volume out of the Fulla 2.

For anyone interested, here is the frequency response of the PX100-II compared to the HD650 and HD600. Crazy how similar the PX100-II and HD650 are...

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #675 of 1,697
  Listening to some Pink Floyd - Wish you were here right now at work. Chain is FLAC > Foobar2k > Anker Powerline 6' Micro USB > Fulla 2 > Sennheiser PX100-II.

PX-100-II's are perfect for work.  You can hear everything around you, they're relaxed enough that you don't get listening fatigue, and they put out more bass than you think they would. You won't cry if something happens to them either. Not a bad setup at all when needing to be aware of your surroundings.

Mine got the cable pulled out after getting stuck in the car door on vacation.  
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back