Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #526 of 1,697
  Just got my Fulla 2 a couple hours ago, pleasantly surprised by the quality both sonically and physically. No, my volume pot isn't perfectly centered like many others. My MicroUSB plugs are also slightly tight, but not worried about it in the least.

Impressions:
Coming from standard MacBook Pro output for my Campfire Jupiters to the Fulla 2. I hate using night and day terms with audio as a lot of it is about small incremental improvements in quality that may not even be initially realized. With that being said, the improvement is something I would place well beyond $100. Instrument separation and depth is the first element I noticed when using the Fulla 2. Bass is much more controlled and and has a little more impact. Highs have an added clarity and air that was missing previously. Coherency is also a word I would use without hesitation as the music sounds a lot more, well, musical. Mids were slightly recessed through the standard MacBook Pro output but sound more even throughout the range with the Fulla 2. With the volume all the way down, I hear pretty much no hiss at all, I say this because I don't hear any, ymmv through as I'm not very sensitive to hiss (Jupiter is 32 Ohms I believe). Volume pot is barely turned at all but allows for significantly more selection. For example, through my MacBook Pro, 4 on the volume was slightly too quiet and 5 too loud, Fulla cures this by allowing you to move the pot to exactly where you want. 

This is only after like an hour of listening though, I'll add more if anything else comes up. 

Tech Tip: You can turn up/down the volume on your MacBook by a ¼ step by pressing shift + alt + volume key.

Also, you can get the lowest level (even lower than ¼) by going to 0 and pressing the mute key.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #527 of 1,697
I received mine today and have been enjoying it a lot. The volume control seems to be centered enough to my standards. One thing I have noticed is that there are some sporadic noise artifacts that are happening using my MacBook Pro with Audirvana Plus (as well as using it normally, if I remember correctly). I'm not sure why this is, I doubt it's a problem with the Fulla 2 but I would like to be able to figure it out.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #529 of 1,697
I received mine today and have been enjoying it a lot. The volume control seems to be centered enough to my standards. One thing I have noticed is that there are some sporadic noise artifacts that are happening using my MacBook Pro with Audirvana Plus (as well as using it normally, if I remember correctly). I'm not sure why this is, I doubt it's a problem with the Fulla 2 but I would like to be able to figure it out.

Do you have a cell phone near it?

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #531 of 1,697
Do you have a GSM or CDMA phone? Just because you don't get interference doesn't mean mackat isn't. His problem may by different, but many DACs are susceptible to cell phone interference.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #532 of 1,697
Do you have a GSM or CDMA phone? Just because you don't get interference doesn't mean mackat isn't. His problem may by different, but many DACs are susceptible to cell phone interference.

Also, it's not just a question of which band the phone is using, but signal strength. If the phone is in a weak reception area, it will crank the gain of the transmitter to try and get at the cell better, which causes a lot more interference. People who use poorly-isolated mobile DACs (hello Chord Mojo) with phones will notice this when the train goes into a tunnel...

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #533 of 1,697
Also, it's not just a question of which band the phone is using, but signal strength. If the phone is in a weak reception area, it will crank the gain of the transmitter to try and get at the cell better, which causes a lot more interference. People who use poorly-isolated mobile DACs (hello Chord Mojo) with phones will notice this when the train goes into a tunnel...

I'm not an expert, but I was under the impression CDMA and LTE did not have these power bursts and therefore rarely caused any interference that was audible.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #534 of 1,697
Hi all, just registered so I could post in this thread as I'm really interested in purchasing this little guy. I just recently got the 598 Cs and currently plug it into my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 headphone jack that's on the desktop speaker, so there is quite a bit of noise involved (can hear hissing and particularly when I move my mouse around, in wired or wireless mode). Those are plugged into my 10-year-old X-Fi soundcard which is PCI so when I upgrade my PC I'll likely not be able to use that card anyways. The Fulla 2 sounds like it would do me justice as I could sit it on my desk and have the speakers plugged into the rear variable line-out to use the Fulla's volume knob (is that correct?) and also to just plug in other powered speakers whenever I upgrade. Would that be the correct usage of this device and then I wouldn't have any need for a soundcard anymore?

Also, the cell phone noise being discussed is a bit concerning as well. I normally put my cell phone on the left side of my monitor and the Fulla would go on the right, but that would actually be in the line of sight for my mouse and its wireless receiver. Does anyone think that might cause some interference?

Thanks for the help!

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #535 of 1,697
I'm not an expert, but I was under the impression CDMA and LTE did not have these power bursts and therefore rarely caused any interference that was audible.

Well, I've certainly had fresh hell on wheels from my LTE phone when connected to my Mojo, for whatever reason- while it was still under the impression that it was connected to LTE (though they do switch standards intelligently here). I tried disabling LTE, which made it slightly less obnoxious overall, but still annoying. In the end, I took to banding it to an old device that stays in flight mode.

Anyway, back on topic, for people with the Fulla 2, the first things to consider if you're getting noise on your Fulla 2 are source issues. Laptops often have horrifically noisy USB, for example, lots of analogue interference down the USB cable. Phones can interfere through the cable and through the air.

If you're using a phone as a source, avoid using a super-short cable, put it a short distance from the Fulla 2, or try turning on flight mode.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #536 of 1,697
I've never had wireless mice cause interference with any audio equipment.  As far as cell phones, I've only had interference with mine when it was very close to some DACs (to be clear, I do not have a Fulla this is just my experience with some other DACs).  In my experience, the interference also only happens when the phone is getting/receiving a call/text or otherwise changes signal strength.  So if Mackat is having a problem, I would suggest he check if his phone is nearby and move it farther away to see if it goes away.  @EDVurd - Having the phone on the other side of the desk has never caused me a problem with any DACs.  Not to say it won't be a problem for you, but if you're keeping your phone more than a foot away I would think it's unlikely to have significant interference.  

@Ancipital - I believe you that you've gotten interference from an LTE phones that wasn't using GSM at the time.  My only understanding is that audio interference (the clicks/pop type) is a lot more common with GSM phones because they have burst transmissions at high power like you described where the other bands have stricter power limitations in their protocols.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #538 of 1,697
  Hi all, just registered so I could post in this thread as I'm really interested in purchasing this little guy. I just recently got the 598 Cs and currently plug it into my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 headphone jack that's on the desktop speaker, so there is quite a bit of noise involved (can hear hissing and particularly when I move my mouse around, in wired or wireless mode). Those are plugged into my 10-year-old X-Fi soundcard which is PCI so when I upgrade my PC I'll likely not be able to use that card anyways. The Fulla 2 sounds like it would do me justice as I could sit it on my desk and have the speakers plugged into the rear variable line-out to use the Fulla's volume knob (is that correct?) and also to just plug in other powered speakers whenever I upgrade. Would that be the correct usage of this device and then I wouldn't have any need for a soundcard anymore?

Also, the cell phone noise being discussed is a bit concerning as well. I normally put my cell phone on the left side of my monitor and the Fulla would go on the right, but that would actually be in the line of sight for my mouse and its wireless receiver. Does anyone think that might cause some interference?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, you are correct. With Fulla 2, you won't need a sound card. You can plug in Klipsch directly to Fulla 2.

HD598CS would pair up fine with Fulla 2 as well. I'm using 598SE with Fulla 2, and they work great.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #540 of 1,697

I don't know with Fulla 2. But with some (old/regular) active speakers my experience is:
- LTE I'd say there is no interference, at least with internet. 
- 3G/HSPA (internet only) maybe some interference but can't remember. 
- 2G (gsm calls and/or internet), a lot of interference when trying to get signal, or GSM calls, no need for internet activity. 
- My worst case scenario: 2G using GPRS or EDGE internet and sending/receiving packets. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back