Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #511 of 1,697
  OK, OK, it is time for me to chime in on cheap products [...]

Product design tradeoffs are tough and result in surprises. [...]

So guess what!! We make mistakes. [...]

In summary, we really appreciate our clients and we do the best we can.  If we haven't, we really want to make it right. Thanks to all!

As a customer who buys Schiit, I really do appreciate you guys.  I really do!  Am I satisfied 100% of the time?  Nope.  But I am satisfied enough to throw money at you.  My initial Modi was a little unreliable.  It has since been retired.  Fulla Classic I read the noise, and decided I could live with its shortcomings.  I plan to buy Fulla 2.   And Vidar.

I really do like your Schiit!  If I stopped bitchinng, it meant I'd stop buying! 

Now, Jason said in his thread that he doesn't mind constructive criticism. So, let me suggest -- *suggest* -- that Fulla 2's outer case could use maybe a dimple above the 1/8" jacks.  Everything else seems fine.

I have also said elsewhere that Nick has a high BS threshold -- it takes a bit to convince him that there's a real problem.   Once convinced, you guys have NEVER failed to satisfy my concern.  Maybe that just comes from working with the (disgruntled, OCD) public that you have to be that way.

But don't feel unappreciated.  PLEASE.  I, for one, love what you are doing IN the industry and TO the industry.  Please keep it up!

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #512 of 1,697

I feel that few parts of this post was provoked by my negative comments that I posted in a last few days... [snip]

Here is another pic of the Fulla 2 that I got... Maybe it is just me, but it is kind of difficult not to be negative with that volume control thing slanted to the left under that angle... I personally think this device should not of been send to a customer... I have hard time seeing why I should be happy with it...

Two comments:
1.  That's a bit of OCD talking.  I know it from experience.  Such detail used to drive me bonkers.
2.  That's an assembly error that Baldr talked about above.   It happens, unfortunately.
3.  (I lied) Fortunately, that you can fix yourself, by loosening two screws and recentering the board.   The board appears to be built correctly; it was just installed a little off.  That'd take less time than a return, unless you really feel Schiit must handle it for you or that it's more than a board put in badly.
4.  If you do believe that's a deeper error than an assembly error, send it back and wait out the repair/return cycle.  Schiit is a good company with good people, but you have to hold up your end by playing by the return rules (ask for an RMA via email to support, with an explanation).  Respect begets respect.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #513 of 1,697
Unfortunately Fulla 2 that I received has quite few shortcomings that I noticed... 3 feet, audio, build quality and those cables issues...   
I have hard time seeing why I should be happy with it...

You do not have to be happy with it.  We are not shoving it down your throat.  Your remedy is to return it as defective for replacement or refund.  Consider this a waiver of the 15 day return for refund.  Goodbye!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 29, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #514 of 1,697
Sometimes a device restart is required after installing USB audio player pro to get it to recognize the dac. When I first bought my centrance dacport slim I couldn't get it to work with USB APP, but after a restart it worked fine.

Whelp. That worked! It is working just fine now. Thanks for the tip!

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #515 of 1,697

You do not have to be happy with it.  We are not shoving it down your throat.  Your remedy is to return it as defective for replacement or refund.  Consider this a waiver of the 15 day return for refund.  Goodbye!

"waiver of the 15 day return for refund"

Please clarify what that means? A little less 'Schiit Attitute' would be nice...

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #517 of 1,697
Seems obvious to me. The company has a 15 day return policy. They will waive that policy for you and allow you to return it for full refund past the 15 day period.

Nope, Partial refund. Schiit charges a restock fee (at their descretion). When i requested a full refund for my unit i was told pretty matter of factly that they'll determine if the restocking fee will be waived.

Also, apparently customers are expected to eat the return shipping costs, so factor that in.

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #518 of 1,697
Quote:

I use mine with AKG K701s and it works fine.

As good as my MJ2? No...but still better than the alternatives at the size / price.

Thanks, is really good to know somebody's tried the Fulla 2 with the K701s (I've been searching this for weeks). 

At home, I'm going to try this Multibit+Fulla2 combo for a few months. I have plans of getting a full desktop amp in a future. I'm considering the Lyr 2 so far. But this will be a plan for second half 2017.

The Multibit made miracles with my 6" monitors, specially in the low-end (compared to the uDAC-2 I was using), huge % difference, completely noticeable. So I'm eager to know how these headphones will sound with that DAC paired with the fulla 2 amp ( Can't do that at the moment because of the DAC's impedance). 

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #519 of 1,697

The Multibit made miracles with my 6" monitors, specially in the low-end (compared to the uDAC-2 I was using), huge % difference, completely noticeable. So I'm eager to know how these headphones will sound with that DAC paired with the fulla 2 amp ( Can't do that at the moment because of the DAC's impedance). 

Can you elaborate on the underlined part?

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #521 of 1,697

Can you elaborate on the underlined part?

lol i was wondering the same !

I meant that I can't use my dac (Modi Multibit) with the headphones yet (I'm using it just with my monitors), this is because of the high output impedance of the dac (75 ohms), so I have to wait for the Fulla 2 to arrive before doing this. (BTW, I learned this last week when the headphones arrived and tried to do this, sound wasn't good of course). 

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #522 of 1,697

I meant that I can't use my dac (Modi Multibit) with the headphones yet (I'm using it just with my monitors), this is because of the high output impedance (75 ohms), so I'll have to wait for the Fulla 2 to arrive before. (BTW, I learned this last week when the headphones arrived and tried to do this, sound wasn't good of course). 

I'm just going to put this out there with absolutely no empirical evidence or listening tests, just based on their relative design, purposes, and parts:

You're not going to get the most out of your Modi Multibit by feeding it into a Fulla 2.  One of the points of having separates is to allow a 'best of breed' approach and to allow the single chassis item to be optimized for its single task.  You really need to feed the Modi Multibit into a headphone amp that's better than the Fulla 2 to hear it at its best.

The Fulla 2 is a great Swiss Army knife -- it performs multiple functions, it's cheap, it's small, it's reasonably portable, it has a cool polished knob.

But it is what it is.  I wouldn't ever bother trying to feed an external DAC into it (unless it's the one already built into a compute / mobile device). There are other, better, routes to go if you want to play the separates game.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #523 of 1,697

I'm just going to put this out there with absolutely no empirical evidence or listening tests, just based on their relative design, purposes, and parts:

You're not going to get the most out of your Modi Multibit by feeding it into a Fulla 2.  One of the points of having separates is to allow a 'best of breed' approach and to allow the single chassis item to be optimized for its single task.  You really need to feed the Modi Multibit into a headphone amp that's better than the Fulla 2 to hear it at its best.

The Fulla 2 is a great Swiss Army knife -- it performs multiple functions, it's cheap, it's small, it's reasonably portable, it has a cool polished knob.

But it is what it is.  I wouldn't ever bother trying to feed an external DAC into it (unless it's the one already built into a compute / mobile device). There are other, better, routes to go if you want to play the separates game.

It's ok, I agree with your opinion! If that's the case (MM+Fulla2 not better than just Fulla2) I'll end up buying a better amp, like Lyr 2 for home (but not now, later this year). 

But I still need the Fulla 2 as portable amp, so this is still the main idea of getting the Fulla2. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #524 of 1,697
  If that's the case (MM+Fulla2 not better than just Fulla2) 

I didn't say that.  But MM + Magni 2 > MM + Fulla 2 for the same price.  The Magni 2 is clearly a better amp -- the specs alone tell you this.

The Fulla 2 is great for what it does and optimized for its use case -- all-in-one, small, cheap.  Other use cases require different combos of devices.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #525 of 1,697
Just got my Fulla 2 a couple hours ago, pleasantly surprised by the quality both sonically and physically. No, my volume pot isn't perfectly centered like many others. My MicroUSB plugs are also slightly tight, but not worried about it in the least.

Impressions:
Coming from standard MacBook Pro output for my Campfire Jupiters to the Fulla 2. I hate using night and day terms with audio as a lot of it is about small incremental improvements in quality that may not even be initially realized. With that being said, the improvement is something I would place well beyond $100. Instrument separation and depth is the first element I noticed when using the Fulla 2. Bass is much more controlled and and has a little more impact. Highs have an added clarity and air that was missing previously. Coherency is also a word I would use without hesitation as the music sounds a lot more, well, musical. Mids were slightly recessed through the standard MacBook Pro output but sound more even throughout the range with the Fulla 2. With the volume all the way down, I hear pretty much no hiss at all, I say this because I don't hear any, ymmv through as I'm not very sensitive to hiss (Jupiter is 32 Ohms I believe). Volume pot is barely turned at all but allows for significantly more selection. For example, through my MacBook Pro, 4 on the volume was slightly too quiet and 5 too loud, Fulla cures this by allowing you to move the pot to exactly where you want. 

This is only after like an hour of listening though, I'll add more if anything else comes up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back