Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #496 of 1,697

Not a stupid question.  I screwed up.  I misunderstood the device's capabilities.  I thought it was able to play directly with iOS devices using the CCK cable.  I deleted my previous post.  

Excellent!  Now if I could only get my replacement in my grubby paws...as I said before my Fulla 2 works great with my Mac Mini, but will not work at all with my iPhone nor iPad.  I tried all permutations of connecting power and data, rebooting, standing with one leg in the air and my index finger pointed due west...

My replacement shipped out the 16th using Priority Mail and I am still waiting for it to arrive.  The USPS tracking site ain't tellin' me diddly-squat.  The last status is December 19 at 2:41am.  I get that this is holiday time, but Priority Mail should have been here by now.  Must be the Priority Mail "Send By Tortoise" option.

Feeling impatient.  Don't want to be chained to my desk for all of my listening sessions.

Please, Schiit.  Make 'em hurry!

Yes, I know that this isn't their support forum, I'm just venting -- hopefully with a sympathetic/empathetic group.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #497 of 1,697

Thanks.  That's definately not how mine behaves.  I have static/noise with my se525 even with the volume knob all the way down.

You can suffer noise as electrical interference down the USB cable- as small, inexpensive units like Fulla 2 tend not to be galvanically isolated. If you can, try some other sources- e.g. if you were using a laptop (often extremely noisy), try using your phone via an OTG adaptor. If you notice a difference, it could be that your source just has dirty USB outs.

(Also, if you're using it with a phone, have the phone a little bit away from the Fulla 2, unless you feel like putting the phone in flight mode- or you might hear it chattering to the the cell.)

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #498 of 1,697
I received my Fulla 2 today and am very pleased with the volume knob and all the flexibility of inputs and outputs.

I started using it today as an amp for my Chord Mojo because the volume marbles are just annoying and I felt the amp in the Mojo was missing something.

With my DT 770 80ohms headphones I can report the Fulla 2 is surprising lively in its sound, not too bright, but definitely not as analytical or boring as the O2 (Mayflower's)

I use it when I am sitting on my sofa with my Mojo because it is so convenient, whereas for desktop I connect either my Vali v1 or ancient iBasso P4 Warbler (rolled opamps courtesy of Top Flight) to my Bimby.

For the Fulla 2 I sense good layering of the soundstage, though not the widest of instrument placements, but... then again, I am using closed-back headphones.

I look forward to trying it with a battery instead of my American mains power, but I doubt I will appreciate the difference in sound quality.

Best $99 ever spent on this hobby.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #499 of 1,697
  Just ordered this little marvellous thing to use with my AKG K701s. It will be here next week (can't wait). 

I plan to use it just as an amp at home (with a Modi Multibit I already have ), and amp+dac when travelling. (I'm currently using a nuForce uDAC-2 with the headphones, so I think it will worth the upgrade!).

Also ordered some cables to try this ( What I found in European Amazon: Ugreen's USB OTG just in case, KabelDirekt's RCA to 1/8 , Ugreen's 1/8 to RCA female). 

I'll report how it works when arrive. 

I use mine with AKG K701s and it works fine.

As good as my MJ2? No...but still better than the alternatives at the size / price.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #500 of 1,697
I'm trying to get my Fulla 2 to work with my OnePlus One. Is there anything special I need to do so that it recognizes it? I just plugged in my OTG cable and powered up PowerAmp, but I can't get anything to happen. Any tips? Thanks!

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #501 of 1,697
  I'm trying to get my Fulla 2 to work with my OnePlus One. Is there anything special I need to do so that it recognizes it? I just plugged in my OTG cable and powered up PowerAmp, but I can't get anything to happen. Any tips? Thanks!

You sure you have your otg cable plugged in the right way?  Host side to phone?  I have the OPO and it works fine with it.  USB Audio Player Pro recognizes it right away.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #502 of 1,697
I'm pretty sure I have it plugged in correctly. I have the cable it came with plugged into my OTG cable which is plugged into my phone. I just got USB Audio Player PRO and when I try to play something I get the message, "No USB Audio Device Found". It did seem to recognize that I plugged in something via USB when I first plugged it in, but now I'm getting nothing. I also just checked my OTG cable with a USB drive and it works fine.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I got one of the defective units?

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #503 of 1,697
How does the dac in the fulla2 compare to the modi2 uber and multibit ? I've seen some comment that it might be just as good or better than the modi2 . If that's the case I'm thinking of getting the fulla2 and a magni2 uber combo to pair with the hd700 my wife just got me . Still got my eye on the Oppo Ha2se also though just because I'm lazy when I get home from work and I can leave it in the arm rest of my recliner lol .

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #504 of 1,697
  I'm pretty sure I have it plugged in correctly. I have the cable it came with plugged into my OTG cable which is plugged into my phone. I just got USB Audio Player PRO and when I try to play something I get the message, "No USB Audio Device Found". It did seem to recognize that I plugged in something via USB when I first plugged it in, but now I'm getting nothing. I also just checked my OTG cable with a USB drive and it works fine.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I got one of the defective units?

What version of android are you running on your OPO?  

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #507 of 1,697
Sometimes a device restart is required after installing USB audio player pro to get it to recognize the dac. When I first bought my centrance dacport slim I couldn't get it to work with USB APP, but after a restart it worked fine.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #508 of 1,697
OK, OK, it is time for me to chime in on cheap products – after all, I was the guy who started the cheap product challenge between Jason and myself with the original Modi. They are hard to get down to a price and difficult tradeoffs have to be made in their design, much less manufacture. There are additional challenges when the product is built here in the USA in a very high tax and labor burdened economy, as well as an employee pay scale which begins at over double the minimum wage. The reason we do this is because we want to build loyalty and a happy workplace. It's eight hours of everyone's day, after all. People respond to money far better than platitudes. This is the way I did Theta, and even before that, it worked for In'n'Out Burgers who made and make the best fast food burger, period. They also pay their employees well over minimum, a fact that was not lost on me when a friend worked there even before I founded Theta. Well paid help takes pride in what they do more than poorly paid ones. I am not so much bragging here as making a point that after taxes and labor on entry level products, we do not get rich on beer money which remains – the hope is that we sell enough for a phuc-ton of beer.

Product design tradeoffs are tough and result in surprises. Since this is the second-smallest product we have ever built, we had to use the smallest parts we have ever used. They are so small that if we place the shoulder to shoulder, 50 of them would crowd into an inch. This brings up new standards and consequent learning curve (read delay) in board inspection (read wrong/missing things). Because of cost/space/performance, this product incorporates the best sounding switcher power supply IC we ever found to provide a bipolar power supply from a monopolar input, for the purpose of power and punch to drive many popular headphones. If our design choice is a switcher vs. an anemic amp, at 100 smackers, then I take the amp balls over the very minor compromise to the highs this switcher makes. That is our design choice – if you like that, well great. If you don't, send it back. Oh, and with respect to experience in putting together our own products: It takes a while, and the earliest adopters get hit the worst, particularly at Christmas. Stuff like the jacks don't fit? We use monoprice, since they are in a price category like the Fulla2. It never occurred to us we would have users using horsecock sized audio plugs from audiophile cables here. Oh, you are talking about the mini USB sockets? Yeah, it took us a while to realize we were not optimally assembling our first units, and longer because we were using the monoprice cables we supply with every unit. And yes, I know you do not want nor deserve to hear that plugging your cables in from a low angle and pulling up Schiit.

So guess what!! We make mistakes. So we have screwed up, and will do so in the future, despite our best intentions. I understand that is part of the human condition. Particularly when we are in a Christmas hurry, and yup, some times when we are not. For all of those mistakes, we are sincerely regretful. I will be the first to admit there is a Schiit Attitude, but a huge part of that is wanting our clients to be as happy as our employees, and no consideration that anyone deserves any kind of bad treatment.

Speaking of clients, we have sold over two hundred thousand units to many, many, people. Unfortunately, there are a several of them that I have fired over the years. There are some unfortunates who will never, ever, but never be happy with anything we could ever provide. On the threads, they bad mouth, do not take advantage of remedies, post, repost, share their misery with all. These types linger like farts in a theater. They have absolutely no notion that happiness is an inside job. They post not just on our threads, mind you, I see them everywhere. Fortunately, they are a tiny minority.  I totally get that we cannot please all, not even if God personally did the design. That's why we have competitors.

In summary, we really appreciate our clients and we do the best we can.  If we haven't, we really want to make it right. Thanks to all!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 28, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #509 of 1,697
In summary, we really appreciate our clients and we do the best we can.  If we haven't, we really want to make it right. Thanks to all!

Thanks Mike for all you guys do over at Schiit, you guys have the best customer service I've ever seen in a company your size. I love the Schiit attitude as well. The modi multibit opened my eyes to what a dac could be. Keep fighting the good fight!

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #510 of 1,697
  OK, OK, it is time for me to chime in on cheap products – after all, I was the guy who started the cheap product challenge between Jason and myself with the original Modi. They are hard to get down to a price and difficult tradeoffs have to be made in their design, much less manufacture. There are additional challenges when the product is built here in the USA in a very high tax and labor burdened economy, as well as an employee pay scale which begins at over double the minimum wage. The reason we do this is because we want to build loyalty and a happy workplace. It's eight hours of everyone's day, after all. People respond to money far better than platitudes. This is the way I did Theta, and even before that, it worked for In'n'Out Burgers who made and make the best fast food burger, period. They also pay their employees well over minimum, a fact that was not lost on me when a friend worked there even before I founded Theta. Well paid help takes pride in what they do more than poorly paid ones. I am not so much bragging here as making a point that after taxes and labor on entry level products, we do not get rich on beer money which remains – the hope is that we sell enough for a phuc-ton of beer.

Product design tradeoffs are tough and result in surprises. Since this is the second-smallest product we have ever built, we had to use the smallest parts we have ever used. They are so small that if we place the shoulder to shoulder, 50 of them would crowd into an inch. This brings up new standards and consequent learning curve (read delay) in board inspection (read wrong/missing things). Because of cost/space/performance, this product incorporates the best sounding switcher power supply IC we ever found to provide a bipolar power supply from a monopolar input, for the purpose of power and punch to drive many popular headphones. If our design choice is a switcher vs. an anemic amp, at 100 smackers, then I take the amp balls over the very minor compromise to the highs this switcher makes. That is our design choice – if you like that, well great. If you don't, send it back. Oh, and with respect to experience in putting together our own products: It takes a while, and the earliest adopters get hit the worst, particularly at Christmas. Stuff like the jacks don't fit? We use monoprice, since they are in a price category like the Fulla2. It never occurred to us we would have users using horsecock sized audio plugs from audiophile cables here. Oh, you are talking about the mini USB sockets? Yeah, it took us a while to realize we were not optimally assembling our first units, and longer because we were using the monoprice cables we supply with every unit. And yes, I know you do not want nor deserve to hear that plugging your cables in from a low angle and pulling up Schiit.

So guess what!! We make mistakes. So we have screwed up, and will do so in the future, despite our best intentions. I understand that is part of the human condition. Particularly when we are in a Christmas hurry, and yup, some times when we are not. For all of those mistakes, we are sincerely regretful. I will be the first to admit there is a Schiit Attitude, but a huge part of that is wanting our clients to be as happy as our employees, and no consideration that anyone deserves any kind of bad treatment.

Speaking of clients, we have sold over two hundred thousand units to many, many, people. Unfortunately, there are a several of them that I have fired over the years. There are some unfortunates who will never, ever, but never be happy with anything we could ever provide. On the threads, they bad mouth, do not take advantage of remedies, post, repost, share their misery with all. These types linger like farts in a theater. They have absolutely no notion that happiness is an inside job. They post not just on our threads, mind you, I see them everywhere. Fortunately, they are a tiny minority.  I totally get that we cannot please all, not even if God personally did the design. That's why we have competitors.

I feel that few parts of this post was provoked by my negative comments that I posted in a last few days...

Let's be fair here. The cables that I use are not "horsecock sized audio plugs from audiophile cables". They are just regular cables that worked on anything from my iphone to my ipod classic to other devices I used them with. I purchased them at BestBuy from what I recall when I needed that type of a cable few years ago. Nothing audiophile about them. Would be nice if your device worked with any normal cable and not just monoprice brand. 

"There are some unfortunates who will never, ever, but never be happy with anything we could ever provide"

I had been reading great things about your brand and intended to get multibit dac shortly with a headphone amp. Fulla 2 was just a toy for my desk that had the form factor I like. To compliment my Dragonfly and few others I have... I decided to skip on $500 Monoprice's Grace device with that form factor and get Fulla 2, Modi Multbit and a Schiit headamp to pair with the multbit dac... Unfortunately Fulla 2 that I received has quite few shortcomings that I noticed... 3 feet, audio, build quality and those cables issues... Then customers notice and bring up these things they should be treated with some respect. We are not unfortunates or haters... I had no intention of bashing your brand. Honesty is not a bad thing. No device is ever perfect, but things like 4 feet is not rocket science... It is a feedback that should be noted and hopefully addressed in a future... Reading your post it feels like there is a lot more of "Schiit attitude" than customer respect...

Here is another pic of the Fulla 2 that I got... Maybe it is just me, but it is kind of difficult not to be negative with that volume control thing slanted to the left under that angle... I personally think this device should not of been send to a customer... I have hard time seeing why I should be happy with it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back