Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #948 of 1,697
I think you can't. If the audio device doesn't have Windows-native support for the equalizer, it's likely not possible to get it in there. However, you can use pretty much any other EQ you want. Personally, I use Equalizer APO.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #950 of 1,697
I don't have experience with either, but I think the audioengine D1 will be better, but it is also $70 more expensive. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #952 of 1,697
  How high do you have to turn up the pot before channel imbalance no longer becomes an issue?  I just sent mine back to schiit since I had to be between 8:30 and 9:00 before both channels were balanced.

​Mine is about the same. I guess I will have to get it replaced/repaired

I just got my Fulla 2 in, and I'm running into the same problem as you two. With my other amplifiers, I've always left the digital levels at 100% and controlled the volume purely in the analog stage. On my Fulla 2, the left channel is noticeably louder than the right anywhere below 9 o'clock, so I'm currently pushing the digital volume all the way down to around 10% to maintain comfortable output levels on my moderately sensitive headphones (HD 558s) while staying in the pot's balanced range. Granted, I generally listen at relatively low volumes, so the built-in gain is also working against me, but I've never run into this problem before.

If you get a chance after your receive the replacements, please report back to let us know whether the channel imbalance is noticeably different. It would be good to know whether it's worth swapping the unit out to try to get one with better channel balance at low levels, or whether the Fulla 2 is just better suited to pairing with less sensitive headphones or listeners that prefer louder volumes.

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #953 of 1,697
"How does the Schiit Fulla 2 measure up to the Audioengine D1?"

I have both.  The Audioengine D1 is much nicer looking on your desktop and the external build quality seems better - the Fulla 2 has some pretty awful looking screw heads exposed and the whole case looks like something out of your uncle's ham radio toolbox.  The Fulla 2 is obviously a newer design (I think the D1 came out in 2012) with updated components.  They both sound great driving powered monitors (Audioengine A5+ in my case) and IEMs (Sennheiser IE 800s here).  I have not tried to drive full size cans with either of them - I have a different amp (Woo Audio Fireflies) for that.  The winner IMHO is the Fulla 2 simply due to the large top mounted volume knob - very convenient, much better that the small side mounted control on the D1.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #954 of 1,697

I just got my Fulla 2 in, and I'm running into the same problem as you two. With my other amplifiers, I've always left the digital levels at 100% and controlled the volume purely in the analog stage. On my Fulla 2, the left channel is noticeably louder than the right anywhere below 9 o'clock, so I'm currently pushing the digital volume all the way down to around 10% to maintain comfortable output levels on my moderately sensitive headphones (HD 558s) while staying in the pot's balanced range. Granted, I generally listen at relatively low volumes, so the built-in gain is also working against me, but I've never run into this problem before.

If you get a chance after your receive the replacements, please report back to let us know whether the channel imbalance is noticeably different. It would be good to know whether it's worth swapping the unit out to try to get one with better channel balance at low levels, or whether the Fulla 2 is just better suited to pairing with less sensitive headphones or listeners that prefer louder volumes.

Just got my new unit in.  It's better than my first unit, but it isn't perfect.

There's channel imbalance until 7:30, usually with more audio in the left channel.  7:30-7:45 is great.  Then 7:45-8:15 has a very slight left channel imbalance.  Then it's seems fine from then onward.  Tested with my AKG K553 and KZ ZS3.

I plugged in my SHP9500s and they sound just fine at 8:00 though.  Imaging probably isn't as good as the K553 on the SHP9500.  Probably has something to do with the fact that they're open headphones as well.

HD 6XX doesn't seem to have any problems since they are a bit power hungrier than the previous cans/iems listed.  I'm a little bit under 9'oclock for these cans.

Not bad enough to send back like my last unit, but thought I should mention it.  I guess if I want to use efficient IEMs like my ED9 or ZS3 I'll still have to turn down system volume a bit.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #956 of 1,697
No static sound on mine with my HD 6XX.

Only a faint/light static when turning the volume knob on the more efficient K553.  Nowhere enough to bother me, especially in the range I listen at.  Can't hear it at all when music is playing.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #957 of 1,697
Just got my Fulla 2 today and I cant report any issues with it. No static noise, and no channel imbalance either, even at low volumes.

I was using 100% from computer to the unit but i reduced to 50% to have better control with the knob. At 100%, it was loud on my headphones even at 7 o clock.

It powers my Fostex T50RP Mk3s well as well as my Audeze Sines with a set of in-line mic cables that had issues with my internal laptop amp (which is an ESS Sabre 9003 amp/ESS 9018K2M DAC combo) quite well.

Pretty happy with this purchase. I also have it line out to my fostex monitors.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #958 of 1,697
  How does the Schiit Fulla 2 measure up to the Audioengine D1?

The AudioEngine D1 had a headphone output impedance of 10 ohms until about a year ago when they lowered the impedance to 2 ohms.
The D1 includes USB and optical inputs (no line in so no amp only use).
RCA out is a pre out (volume controlled) at full volume it is 2V RMS (equal to standard line out).
DAC is AK 4396.
Requires a power connection for use with optical input.  Phones/tablets via USB may not work, even with the external power.
Has a bright white light on the front.

Fulla 2 has a headphone output impedance of .5 ohms.
The F2 includes USB input and line in (may use F2 as amp only).
Pre out (volume controlled) and line out are separate.
DAC is AK 4490.
Provides external power option to allow phone/tablet use.
No light.

r2

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #960 of 1,697
@SomeTechNoob
I think you were the one who also got a Magni. Is the channel imbalance gone when you use it with the Fulla's DAC (pre-out and line-out)?

Yeah no issues with channel imbalance once you hook up the Magni to the line out. Haven't tried variable out with the Magni since I have it hooked up to speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back