Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #466 of 1,697
No Issues with the Fit and Finish on my Fulla 2. The USB Ports were a little tight. If there was issues with your final product an email to their support team would not hurt. No hissing whatsoever on multiple computers. 
I had a Vali 1 that would ring and ring and ring. an email to schiit support resulted in  some basic tests and then rapid exchange, where a New Vali 1 was on they way within the hour I dropped the old one off at Fedex . Cases May vary but they covered shipping and No restocking fee. All I was out of was a little time in listening. I don't know what else you could ask for. Anything that is produced en masse there will inevitably be some with issues. Ask Apple, Samsung, Ford, Toyota, Chevy etc etc. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #467 of 1,697
Hi, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Fulla 2 and a pair of AKG 712s, does anyone have any experience with that combo? Do you think the Fulla 2 will drive them sufficiently? Thanks in advance. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #468 of 1,697
It can easily be subjective preference. For quite a few people, the Monk+ sounds much better than significantly expensive headphones that cost hundreds. Since the Monks are so popular, it's hard for them to not fall into the hands of someone that really loved them above all else, who just happens to report back here, and then just happens to find others like him/her anger this the hyper train continues. It's the same reason why to me, the HD800S are not great at all. Based on marketing and user feedback, I have no doubt they are good for many other people out there and are even considered a bargin. I'll keep my 12 dollar IEMs over the HD800s if I can only choose to keep one forever (and that I can't sell the one I chose
wink.gif
), even if Brooko charges into my home with a baseball bat full of nails.
biggrin.gif

And no, I'm not getting a tube amp just to wake them up. I simply don't like them after trying them out again and again.

Heck, if Head-Fi didn't exist, I might also look at the HD800s and say that marketing is such a powerful thing. People will actually pay that much number for such a piece of junk. But Head-Fi does exist, so I'm less ignorant now. Please don't hunt me down and burn me alive.
wink.gif

I am one of those few who likes earbuds and honestly Monk + is a not that good. It is a pill to get people interested in earbuds. You spend a fiver or a ten and realize that the sound is good. Much better that Apple old buds and quite enjoyable. Better than expected for a five dollar bill. But realistically as earbud goes Monk + is nothing special. It is veiled and end the end of the day is a good $5-10 earbud. Nothing else. All the fuzz is strongly correlated with the price and great marketing...

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #469 of 1,697
I am using a Android phone with an OSCAR cable all is working fine... I have 2 different tablets one LG the other Samsung.. And cannot get the Fulla2 to work... Tried giving it power.. Nothing... I'll contact Schiit... But their FAQ says it should work with tablets.. And phone... No drivers no fuss.. I don't know why it's not working.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #472 of 1,697

The Fulla 2 can drive the the 300 ohm Sennheiser HD650, reasonably well. Is it a perfect pairing? No. Do the 650s get loud? Absolutely. Now before someone jumps in and says amplification is more than just volume, I completely agree. The HD650s will sound better with better amplification.

Yep, there's a lot more to amplification than going loud, but expanding too much on the theme might get people very defensive and seems to get you into trouble with the mods. However, the Fulla 2 drives the HD650 oddly well for something that only draws 500mA of power, it's true.

It has a buttload of QA issues right now, and often arrives either faulty or mis-assembled, but if you get a basically working one, it's a very nice object lesson in what's possible in a tiny power and BOM budget. Despite all the hassle that I've had getting a working one, I'm still rather impressed. Hopefully, once it settles down, it will become the de-facto entry level desktop listening box for people who want to improve on the on-board audio of their laptop or mobile device. When the production issues are sorted, the sheer quality of the engineering will be hard to miss.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #473 of 1,697

i ordered the Fulla 2 the day it became available.  I received it that weekend, and I have been delighted with it's performance and versatility.  I am using HD650s, and the sound is very full, and it is not lacking bass!  (My previous "headphone amplifier" was the headphone output of an NAD integrated C372, which NAD says is amplified.)

The fit and finish on my Fulla 2 is flawless, and the pot is aligned perfectly.  I have owned $400 preamps that were not assembled with this precision.  (And that is what I experienced with all of the Schiit products at RMAF, where I "lived" at their long table for hours over that weekend in October.)

It certainly is a drag to receive a faulty product, but this company takes care of its customers.  I am looking forward to my next few purchases of their audio essentials!

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #474 of 1,697

i ordered the Fulla 2 the day it became available.  I received it that weekend, and I have been delighted with it's performance and versatility.  I am using HD650s, and the sound is very full, and it is not lacking bass!  (My previous "headphone amplifier" was the headphone output of an NAD integrated C372, which NAD says is amplified.)

The fit and finish on my Fulla 2 is flawless, and the pot is aligned perfectly.  I have owned $400 preamps that were not assembled with this precision.  (And that is what I experienced with all of the Schiit products at RMAF, where I "lived" at their long table for hours over that weekend in October.)

It certainly is a drag to receive a faulty product, but this company takes care of it's customers.  I am looking forward to my next few purchases of their audio essentials!

I hate to be the one who brings negativity, but this is my first time with Schiit and the brand has been hyped beyond the clouds. I am attaching picture of the device I received. Instead of sitting straight volume control is tilted all the way to the left with almost no gap on the left side and about 1/8 of the inch on the right. Both top screw heads show signs of a screwdriver... Maybe it is just me, but I expect better even for a $100 dollars. Made in America does not mean sloppy... I personally think the device I received should of been flagged by Schiit QA and not shipped out just based on the two things I mentioned. 

Bass - yes it is there. But on the whole the sound is not superb. The youtube review I posted last night actually hits it right on the head. Reviewer gets it 100% right in my opinion. Ok (nice?) device for a $100, but not super duper amazing. If the volume control was straight and screw heads looked perfect I would probably keep it and use it occasionally. But as it is I am strongly considering returning it. I would rather spend a little more and have a nicer looking device... And I bet most will sound at least as good and some baybe even better. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #475 of 1,697

I hate to be the one who brings negativity, but this is my first time with Schiit and the brand has been hyped beyond the clouds. I am attaching picture of the device I received. Instead of sitting straight volume control is tilted all the way to the left with almost no gap on the left side and about 1/8 of the inch on the right. Both top screw heads show signs of a screwdriver... Maybe it is just me, but I expect better even for a $100 dollars. Made in America does not mean sloppy... I personally think the device I received should of been flagged by Schiit QA and not shipped out just based on the two things I mentioned. 

Bass - yes it is there. But on the whole the sound is not superb. The youtube review I posted last night actually hits it right on the head. Reviewer gets it 100% right in my opinion. Ok (nice?) device for a $100, but not super duper amazing. If the volume control was straight and screw heads looked perfect I would probably keep it and use it occasionally. But as it is I am strongly considering returning it. I would rather spend a little more and have a nicer looking device... And I bet most will sound at least as good and some baybe even better. 

And one more complain... The design does not allow to plug in standard jack to my powered monitors on the back. I have a nice cable that I paid I think around 20-25 dollars for and the head is quite wide... I use it all the time on other devices and works fine.  Fulla 2 casing does not allow that wide head to be plugged in all the way in. See the pick. Quite annoying. Lots of static and noise and no sound... 

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #476 of 1,697
It's a product at the lowest end of the pricing tier that punches above its weight class and has some early production issues... but the company makes good products, it's unfortunate that this specific one has some manufacturing issues but it would be foolish to overlook the rest of their product line or claim their gear is over hyped. Focus more on sound than aesthetics for something with these features at this price point. As far as the cable goes, sometimes loosening the screws can help with problems connecting to the back.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #477 of 1,697

And one more complain... The design does not allow to plug in standard jack to my powered monitors on the back. I have a nice cable that I paid I think around 20-25 dollars for and the head is quite wide... I use it all the time on other devices and works fine.  Fulla 2 casing does not allow that wide head to be plugged in all the way in. See the pick. Quite annoying. Lots of static and noise and no sound... 

That is a problem.  Don't know whether there are standards for plug and receptacle dimensions, but those two aren't going to make beautiful music together.  Besides returning the Fulla 2, I see three quick fixes.  The first is to remove 3 screws and the outer case comes off.  Voilá, naked Fulla.  The plug would then fit.  The second is to take a rat tail file and remove enough metal that the plug fits.  Finally, use another plug.  I kind of doubt that Fulla 2 will be much improved by a wire that costs more than it does and even a $25 cable may be overkill.  Monoprice for $2 is Fulla's speed.

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #478 of 1,697
Not to downplay the reports of problems with the Fulla 2, clearly there are units going out less than perfect, but I can report I ordered mine the evening of the 21st and received it on the 23rd. So far zero issues. Everything seems to be lined up correctly and working fine.

Again, not saying Schiit is over the proverbial hump with the Fulla 2 manufacturing/QA issues, but for anyone considering the purchase it is possible to get one that's pretty close to perfect. Either that or I'm extremely lucky.

Also as an update, I've been using my Fulla 2 with my HD650 since Friday and I'm extremely happy. Over the weekend I considered adding a Magni 2, but at this stage I think the Fulla 2 is just fine for my setup. The beauty of the HD650s is they scale really well. Had I not heard them with better equipment in the past I wouldn't have thought for a second that I was missing out on anything using them with just the Fulla 2.

As for cables I can confirm the Kabeldirekt 3.5mm/3.5mm to RCA work just fine with the Fulla 2. I have no idea where they fall in the echelon of 'audiophilia' but for under $10 they seem well made.

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #480 of 1,697
Using my fulla 2 at work to some presonus eris 4.5 monitors via the included (with the speakers) black rubber coated 3.5mm to rca, which I had to shave one side of with a knife to get it to fit in the fulla 2, and the sound is fantastic. Absolutely no noise other than the very slight high pitch wine from the monitors that is only perceptible when my head is turned just right, even with the Fulla unplugged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back