Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Feb 18, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,746 of 3,233
Any Freya+/N owners having brief static/interference noises coming thru the headphones or speakers when music is not playing and music playing? This started happening to me in the last month or so and is really annoying and trying to see what's the cause. Wasn't like this months ago just until recently and nothing has changed in my setup that I can think of.
Any luck troubleshooting this? My only thought is to check all cables and connections and make sure the tubes are seated properly. Are you using an original Mani by any chance? IIRC those were known for picking up random FM transmissions.

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #2,747 of 3,233
Any luck troubleshooting this? My only thought is to check all cables and connections and make sure the tubes are seated properly. Are you using an original Mani by any chance? IIRC those were known for picking up random FM transmissions.
No luck in isolating the source of the noise yet. It happens very random where some nights listening to music for 2 to 3 hours no noise at all. On other nights I can hear a mini wave of static interference that can last in between 10 to 20 seconds or so and then goes away.

I don't have a Mani in my setup.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #2,748 of 3,233
No luck in isolating the source of the noise yet. It happens very random where some nights listening to music for 2 to 3 hours no noise at all. On other nights I can hear a mini wave of static interference that can last in between 10 to 20 seconds or so and then goes away.

I don't have a Mani in my setup.
I mostly lurk and rarely post but I’ve run into this situation with a few different amps. Many of my amplifiers, tubes or solid state have been antennas for Wi-Fi signals. If you have a strong mesh Wi-Fi system you may have to move the direction or location of the wireless router. I have a primaluna amp that would randomly have static noise coming out of the speakers, similar to what you described. I went nuts cleaning contacts, swapping tubes and cables. All it took to fix it was turning the wireless router (which was 10 feet away) about 45 degrees. Might be a long shot but I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #2,749 of 3,233
I mostly lurk and rarely post but I’ve run into this situation with a few different amps. Many of my amplifiers, tubes or solid state have been antennas for Wi-Fi signals. If you have a strong mesh Wi-Fi system you may have to move the direction or location of the wireless router. I have a primaluna amp that would randomly have static noise coming out of the speakers, similar to what you described. I went nuts cleaning contacts, swapping tubes and cables. All it took to fix it was turning the wireless router (which was 10 feet away) about 45 degrees. Might be a long shot but I hope that helps.
Thanks for the advice. Will have to check that out.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #2,750 of 3,233
I did not know that that phenomenon was possible! Something like that does make sense with Smootstereo's description of his issue. Would love to see if addressing the wireless router has impact here. 👍🏼

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,751 of 3,233
:thumbsup:
I will be interested on what you think about the resistor upgrade.
Make sure you are familiar with the post cap mod sound before you do it.
OK…my resistors are also soldered in now…I had an issue or two caused by lack of circuit board soldering experience…😟…but I sorted that out and my unit is up and running perfectly and burned-in about 100 hours.
Listening to Felix LaBand "Dark Days Exit"… The 1st thing I am noticing above all is the 3-Dimensionality of the recording…it's off the charts. More clearly defined placement of instruments and sounds in the 3D sphere. It’s a little freaky. I think that the bass is tighter, too. Also, resonance on say an acoustic guitar, sounds more life-like. More resonant. The SS stage sounds much flatter now in comparison. I am not sure that I can attribute what I am experiencing to just the resistors or the combo of resistors and caps. All these things were improved with the caps, but the resistors seem to have put those improvements on steroids. This was all so worth the intense effort. So enjoyable to experience this. It connects me with my whole system In a personal way.
Question: Do you have any thoughts on audiophile fuses? Both the Freya and my Loki Max have fuses in fuse holders next to where the 120v power comes into the unit. Are they worth upgrading? It was in my face…so i am curious.

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #2,752 of 3,233
Just reporting back for those interested. After spending about 2 weeks with my satellite mesh router moved about 10 or 12 feet away from its original position, my static/noise/interference has decreased dramatically about 90% gone. Only once in a rare occasion where my Freya might pick up some faint noise, but it goes away very quickly. Quite happy with the results. Thanks to Toddrain1 for this tip.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #2,753 of 3,233
Just reporting back for those interested. After spending about 2 weeks with my satellite mesh router moved about 10 or 12 feet away from its original position, my static/noise/interference has decreased dramatically about 90% gone. Only once in a rare occasion where my Freya might pick up some faint noise, but it goes away very quickly. Quite happy with the results. Thanks to Toddrain1 for this tip.
That’s great to hear. I’ve gained so much knowledge from reading these forums over the years, I’m glad I could give back. Tubes are wonderful for music but can be finicky. After reading this thread, I purchased one of the last closeout Freya Ns. While it sounded utterly amazing with my Aegir amp, it had a loud popping in the tube mode when moving the volume back and forth past the 12 o’ clock position. Schiit customer service has been nothing less than stellar as usual and instantly shipped me a new one. It’s supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so I’ll report back.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #2,754 of 3,233
That’s great to hear. I’ve gained so much knowledge from reading these forums over the years, I’m glad I could give back. Tubes are wonderful for music but can be finicky. After reading this thread, I purchased one of the last closeout Freya Ns. While it sounded utterly amazing with my Aegir amp, it had a loud popping in the tube mode when moving the volume back and forth past the 12 o’ clock position. Schiit customer service has been nothing less than stellar as usual and instantly shipped me a new one. It’s supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so I’ll report back.
I hope the new one works out. I had the same issue with my Freya N. Two different units. I eventually gave up and got the Freya S, which sounds fantastic with the Aegir. Maybe one day I'll get a Freya + and jump back into tubes.

Good luck!

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #2,755 of 3,233
I hope the new one works out. I had the same issue with my Freya N. Two different units. I eventually gave up and got the Freya S, which sounds fantastic with the Aegir. Maybe one day I'll get a Freya + and jump back into tubes.

Good luck!
Sorry to hear about your experience, hopefully I’ll get lucky. I’m glad to hear you Freya S has good synergy with the aegir. I’ll definitely keep that in mind as an option.

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #2,756 of 3,233
Thanks for the reply. I followed these steps and it still pops at noon and when changing modes, tho much quieter pops. I can't help but think it's something wrong on my end. What are the odds of getting 2 of the same preamps with the same problem? Also, when I put Saga back in the chain, everything works perfectly.
pops are on the amp. My Freya S popped like crazy with my 90's mono blocks. When I hooked up a Vidar amp, pops were gone. Must be some sort of filtering on the Vidar that my old mono blocks don't have. Long story short, the Vidar sounded like Ass compared to the 30 year old mono blocks, so I just deal with the pops.

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #2,757 of 3,233
Does anyone know how the Freya S Nexus stage compares to the Freya + JFET stage? I have the Freya + and have a good feel for the differences between the Freya + JFET vs. tube gain stage. Since I know what the JFET sounds like, I am looking for any impressions on Nexus, I am trying to decide if it is worth trying the Freya S for a more transparent sound signature

Mar 9, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #2,758 of 3,233
Yeah having the same issue with a close out Freya N. Small pop at 12 and volume past that gets louder than quieter as the volume goes up in tube mode. Volume knob is never right it's either to loud or too quite and just a bump on the remote it goes to far in either direction. Thinking of selling it but not with these issue's.

Mar 9, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #2,759 of 3,233
Just to jump on this and thank everyone for the advice in this thread-I was having a similar issue with trying to eliminate some weird noise/interference that was cropping up in my Freya N and Mjolnir 2 chain. So far the router does not seem to be at fault but after examining all of the weird things you would never expect I found the culprit (well the current one anyway). I found that one of the mice in my office, which happens to stay on as long as it is plugged into the USB hub (even if the laptop attached to the hub is off), was omitting a weird, almost inaudible squeal. It is a lightweight design with gaps in the structure that I guess were allowing the squeal to get out too easily. Anyway that mouse has been replaced with a different one and the issue has been resolved (for now).

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #2,760 of 3,233
S Nexus stage compares to the Freya + JFET
Everything is better with the Nexus, but it's also a touch more lively. For my Tekton Pendragons, it's a bit too much for me. Now I run the N with 6n6p/6n23p tubes, and it's much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back