Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jul 9, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,981 of 3,234
interesting avatar. Those tubes look like they're in jail. :)

by the way, 4 ohms loads with Aegir in monoblock mode not recommended (can trip the protection circuits if cranked)

No problems with Aegir monoblocks with my 4 ohms speakers.. even very loud. (Elac Vela BS 403) sensitivity is 86 - which is low, but not super low.
I didn't try with a single block, but my gut says that wouldn't have worked out well. (also, damn the Aegirs get hot. Now with fans on them they only cool to the Vidar levels of heat.)

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #1,982 of 3,234
Loving my single aegir feeding my klipsch rp8000 so far...
After a lot of listening from the yggy a2 with unison feeding the aegir with a sys in between I am very satisfied. But that does still leave room for an extra touch on some songs especially since I don't plan on getting a sub. Just trying to push a bit more bass through the speakers instead. I have read that the aegir is lean on bass but I'm ok with that since the rest of the spectrum sounds so full and smooth.

I have been using the loki with some benefit here and there but still can't determine if it sounds better with the loki in between the yggy and the sys or in between the sys and the aegir. What is the proper setup for the loki?

I plan on purchasing a freya+ in the next few days so I'm also wondering for when I put that in the chain as well.

Will the freya+ be able to boost the bass with proper tubes? and when not using tubes, will the freya+ sound any different than the sys? The sys gets my speakers blasting beyond listening level so I don't need any more gain of volume. just any addition in sound quality will be well received by my hungry ears...

also one last thing. When using the loki, is it better to turn the dials up on the frequencies you want more of or lower the dials of the frequency you want less of?
I seem to be afraid to add anything and more likely to reduce the frequencies I want less of. Maybe because of hearing so many digital eq's that destroyed the signal with distortion if you turn it up too much.

I guess in other words, how is the loki able to amplify the sound above line level and is the quality still there without distortion? And is the loki being in the chAin with the freya+ going to hold things back or effect sound quality in any way? I'm thinking the combo of tubes and eq doesn't always work out well. but what about using the freya+ with the tube mode off?

I know that's a lot of questions and in no way concise but no need to tackle the whole thing at once. feel free to just add any input on any subject. big thanks in advance to anyone who reads all this.

very excited to finally try out the freya+ and then to begin a long tube rolling excursion from there.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #1,983 of 3,234
Anyone know how Freya+ handles multiple amps (if it can)? I want to connect it to both my headphone amp and my speaker amp. I see a rca and balanced output. Does it just output from both? Is there an effect on sound quality from having both plugged in? Or can you select the output from remote or on the deck itself.

thanks in advance

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,984 of 3,234
Anyone know how Freya+ handles multiple amps (if it can)? I want to connect it to both my headphone amp and my speaker amp. I see a rca and balanced output. Does it just output from both? Is there an effect on sound quality from having both plugged in? Or can you select the output from remote or on the deck itself.

thanks in advance
I run my Freya+ balanced connection to a pair of Aejir mono-blocks and the Freya+ single-ended connection to a tube power amp. The Freya feeds whichever amp is on.

Works great. I don't hear any sound quality impact from having both connected at the same time.

I sometimes switch the balanced connections from the Freya to instead, go to the Moljnir2 headphone amp. That makes the Moljnir2 sound great.....much better than simply going from my DAC to the Moljnir2 and using the Moljnir's own preamp.

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #1,985 of 3,234
I’m trying some old tubes in the Freya+ I have some quads of GT and GTB tubes. Im sure schiit based the voltage off the GTB spec
I haven’t read anything about specifically using GTA/B vs GT.. Wondering if anyone knows how hard these tubes are driven.. or any experience with using the GT spec tubes.. they sound great !!
Thanks in advance...

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #1,986 of 3,234
Ok I pulled the trigger... on the freya+ but now am wondering:
am I going to be in over my head with getting the right tubes($) and then making a decision on what sounds the best. I like the aspect with my MJ2 but thinking it could get in the way of the speaker system. or at least too hard to achieve a perfect balance of the benefits(of tubes) without degrading the overall sound significantly.
this remorse could also be from my curiosity about the use of nexus in the freya s and if I will be missing out on it's capability with solid state. I read someone here is feeding the aegir(maybe 2?) with the freya s with satisfaction.
Will the freya+ in solid state mode sound inferior to the freya s?
The freya + says it uses a differential buffer stage. can anyone compare the differences between the two(nexus vs buffer) and how much they affect the sound?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #1,987 of 3,234
I’m trying some old tubes in the Freya+ I have some quads of GT and GTB tubes. Im sure schiit based the voltage off the GTB spec
I haven’t read anything about specifically using GTA/B vs GT.. Wondering if anyone knows how hard these tubes are driven.. or any experience with using the GT spec tubes.. they sound great !!
Thanks in advance...
There is no issue between GT GTA or GTB with Freya. GTA has higher plate dissipation than GT. GTB has a more durable cathode for series heater circuits. Neither feature is necessary in Freya. Just use what sounds best or is cheaper.

Here is the reference:

https://www.effectrode.com/knowledge-base/the-6sn7gt-the-best-general-purpose-dual-triode/

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #1,988 of 3,234
There is no issue between GT GTA or GTB with Freya. GTA has higher plate dissipation than GT. GTB has a more durable cathode for series heater circuits. Neither feature is necessary in Freya. Just use what sounds best or is cheaper.

Here is the reference:

https://www.effectrode.com/knowledge-base/the-6sn7gt-the-best-general-purpose-dual-triode/

thanks.. I came Across that as well.. also another article saying not to use GT in devices designed for GTA/B specs as they will reduce tube life significantly.. I’m not too worried about it as I have both types .. the GT’s do sound “different”..

Aug 8, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #1,989 of 3,234
Anyone know if Freya+ is shipping? Website says shipping 8/7 which is today, My order still shows it’s on back order

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,990 of 3,234
I am in the same boat as you. I placed my order the end of June and Schiit missed the 7-17-20 ship date. The 8-7 date came and went so I sent them a email. I got a response from George on 8-8 saying that they were receiving parts now but the waiting list was so long that they could not get them all out by 8-7. He said that it might be “several days” before all back orders are shipped. I take this as great news if it happens. I will post here when I get notification of shipment. Fingers crossed.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #1,991 of 3,234
I am in the same boat as you. I placed my order the end of June and Schiit missed the 7-17-20 ship date. The 8-7 date came and went so I sent them a email. I got a response from George on 8-8 saying that they were receiving parts now but the waiting list was so long that they could not get them all out by 8-7. He said that it might be “several days” before all back orders are shipped. I take this as great news if it happens. I will post here when I get notification of shipment. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info. I'll do the same. My order date was 7/15 so we get to see any logic to them filling back orders.

Aug 10, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,993 of 3,234
When I log in and view my order, it says the following:

Order Status: Freya+ prior 7/23 building, after 7/23 ship Oct

I sent an email for clarification and here is what I got:

Thank you for your order. We have started to receive the parts needed for
the Freyas and have resumed production and shipping backorders. Due to the
number of backorders, it could take several days before all backorders have
shipped. I'm sorry for the wait.

So if I had to interpret the situation: If you ordered before 7/23, then they are building your Freya+ over the next few days and shipping out. If you ordered 7/23 and after, you are going to be waiting until OctXX for them to get more parts in.

Aug 10, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #1,994 of 3,234
I got a email from Schiit this afternoon saying the my Freya+ will be ready to ship soon but I needed to re enter my credit card info as it has been so long that my original authorization had expired.
Took care of that ,so, hoping I will get shipping notification tomorrow 8-11. If I’m lucky I may have it this weekend. Hope so anyway. Rerouted cabling and cleared out it’s shelf on the rack. Can’t wait.

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #1,995 of 3,234
I got a email from Schiit this afternoon saying the my Freya+ will be ready to ship soon but I needed to re enter my credit card info as it has been so long that my original authorization had expired.
Took care of that ,so, hoping I will get shipping notification tomorrow 8-11. If I’m lucky I may have it this weekend. Hope so anyway. Rerouted cabling and cleared out it’s shelf on the rack. Can’t wait.

Congrats! Hope we both get them this week. Luckily (or unluckily) I am in California so shipping should be fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back