Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 19, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,966 of 3,234
Hi. May I ask how is the Freya + in tube mode? As i have shared am looking for a more musical/holographic feel and a better soundstage while retaining the merits of clarity, transparency and opennes which I have with my solid state amp and node 2i/Marantz. Also did you face any gain issues esp in tube mode which is my concern if I get the Freya +. As shared am running Klipsch which are high efficiency speakers and my XTZ power amp has a gain feature. Not sure if the Freya + will add too much gain.

Copying my prior posts re: impressions of Freya+ and experience w. Tung Sols vs RCAs (I believe Freya+ now ships w. JJs instead of Tung Sols, and I have not heard the JJs) for your reference below. I hope they are helpful. Re: your post above, I have not heard Saga firsthand -- just heard good things about it.

I do not have gain issues w. Freya+ in tube mode, although I do have inefficient speakers (Dynaudio Special 40s), so experience compared to your Klipsch's should be expected to vary. I do have to adjust volume when changing from Passive (which I almost never use, preferring JFET), JFET, and Tube modes, and there is a significant increase in volume levels from JFET to Tube... I typically turn Freya down several clicks before switching over.

I recently moved from Freya (1) to Freya+.

Freya (1) is fetching a fair amount on the secondhand market right now (assuming it's in good condition, obviously), so the upgrade cost wasn't too tough to swallow.

On the whole, I think Freya+ is a worthwhile upgrade. The sound is definitely different; it's cleaner, quieter, a little more relaxed.

The changes in how the remote interacts with the volume took some getting used to. It's not as precise as with the original, as one press on the remote yields 2-3 ticks. On one hand, it's more difficult to be as precise as you could be with the original, but on the other hand, it's much easier to obtain larger swings in volume when desired. I wouldn't let this scare you away.

I do have a question, though. The motorized pot is audible (not through speakers). Is this normal? With volume low, can anyone else hear the motor when adjusting volume via remote?
I originally used the Tung-Sols that came w. my Freya for about a year, and then I picked up some RCA GTBs ('56-'60).
I noticed a big difference, and I much prefer the RCAs. The Tung-Sols MAY have been a bit quieter (i.e. measured noise at tweeter w. no source), but the RCAs are clearer and seem to color the sound less. The Tung-Sols also seemed to have more bloom.

I find the RCAs bring all the soundstage benefits of the Tung-Sols without much of the distortion. If you're looking for a recognizable "tubey" sound, maybe the Tung-Sols are the way to go... they stick out and draw more attention to themselves, whereas the RCAs are more subtle; they sound similar to the JFET stage -- certainly a bit warmer, but they bring better imaging (at the cost of slight noise, which while audible at tweeter, usually isn't at the listening position).

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,967 of 3,234
Copying my prior posts re: impressions of Freya+ and experience w. Tung Sols vs RCAs (I beloved Freya+ now ships w. JJs instead of Tung Sols, and I have bot heard the JJs) for your reference below. I hope they are helpful. Re: your post above, I have not heard Saga firsthand -- just heard good things about it.

I do not have gain issues w. Freya+ in tube mode, although I do have inefficient speakers (Dynaudio Special 40s), so experience compared to your Klipsch's should be expected to vary. I do have to adjust volume when changing from Passive (which I almost never use, preferring JFET), JFET, and Tube modes, and there is a significant increase in volume levels from JFET to Tube... I typically turn Freya down several clicks before switching over.
Thanks for bringing across this prior post. Its very helpful. Also the added caution of needing to switch vols before moving onto different modes. Glad you found the Freya + a worthwhile upgrade. Am hoping for the same. Some fine speakers you have got there by the way. I dont know why Schiit has switched from Tung Sols to JJ. The Tung Sols were well reviewed as you have shared in your post. Not sure how the JJ sounds.

I have now some issues with my local distributor in getting the Freya +. He doesnt seem to be responsive and I hear that there is a backlog order in US. And getting it from US may give me a trial but if something goes wrong I incur the added cost of freight to be shipped to and fro. Contemplating now if I should look at other options like the Musical Paradise 701 Mk II. Sigh. Hope I can still get either the Freya + or Saga though.

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #1,968 of 3,234
Hi Dueprocess

Tks for the useful insights. I have considered the Saga as am only using RCA and as you rightly pointed out, its more cost effective and less expenses with tube roll. It also has some good reviews. The only thing I gathered was the Saga in terms of tube effect may not be as good as the Freya +. Thats my concern, as I do wish for good tube sound without losing openness, clarity and details as well as soundstage. The 3 modes (Tube , JFET and Passive) in Freya + also comes handy. Thats why I have Freya + in my mind. Though the Saga option cost wise is a draw.

Pardon my ignorance. May I check what do you mean by using analogue dimensions. You mean not using an optical cable and just use analogue RCA connectors? I idont intend to use optical. I prefer analogue RCA options in terms of connections . My power amp does not have balanced XLR options hence cant use the Freya + balanced connections at least for now.

So you gather analogue (RCA) wise the Saga and Freya + serving as a preamp to node 2i to my power amp would yield it to be more musical than node 2i direct to my power amp now? Point taken that optical wise may be neater not to have an additional preamp in the chain.

Appreciate your views

If you are worried about the gain part of the 2i, don't use it. I own the 2i but only use it as a streamer and digital coax out to my dac. That said, i'm not sure how good the dac is in the 2i. I think it is "good" but not great.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #1,969 of 3,234
Hi Dueprocess

Tks for the useful insights. I have considered the Saga as am only using RCA and as you rightly pointed out, its more cost effective and less expenses with tube roll. It also has some good reviews. The only thing I gathered was the Saga in terms of tube effect may not be as good as the Freya +. Thats my concern, as I do wish for good tube sound without losing openness, clarity and details as well as soundstage. The 3 modes (Tube , JFET and Passive) in Freya + also comes handy. Thats why I have Freya + in my mind. Though the Saga option cost wise is a draw.

Pardon my ignorance. May I check what do you mean by using analogue dimensions. You mean not using an optical cable and just use analogue RCA connectors? I idont intend to use optical. I prefer analogue RCA options in terms of connections . My power amp does not have balanced XLR options hence cant use the Freya + balanced connections at least for now.

So you gather analogue (RCA) wise the Saga and Freya + serving as a preamp to node 2i to my power amp would yield it to be more musical than node 2i direct to my power amp now? Point taken that optical wise may be neater not to have an additional preamp in the chain.

Appreciate your views
I recently had a Saga +, and tested over 3 weeks with 4 of the popular tube options as well as the stock. Personally I can understand the criticism concerning lack of "tubey-ness"" (although I have not really seen much valid criticism generally). I ended up selling it, but agree with those that mention tube rolling the Freya + can get expensive quickly. I think both these will hold their resale value, and personally am not aware of options to the Freya + taking into account reported sound quality and feature set.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #1,970 of 3,234
If you are worried about the gain part of the 2i, don't use it. I own the 2i but only use it as a streamer and digital coax out to my dac. That said, i'm not sure how good the dac is in the 2i. I think it is "good" but not great.
I.am.intending to use the node 2i as fixed vol (so not using gain here) and the Saga + or Freya + as a preamp. My XTZ power amp has a gain feature though.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #1,971 of 3,234
I recently had a Saga +, and tested over 3 weeks with 4 of the popular tube options as well as the stock. Personally I can understand the criticism concerning lack of "tubey-ness"" (although I have not really seen much valid criticism generally). I ended up selling it, but agree with those that mention tube rolling the Freya + can get expensive quickly. I think both these will hold their resale value, and personally am not aware of options to the Freya + taking into account reported sound quality and feature set.
I am now contemplating on the Saga +. May i know why you sold it? Yes the concern is a lack of tubiness. But some do say the tube version does add a good emotional feel. So not sure which is which. But most overwhelmingly say its a very transparent amp. Hope that also equates being musical.

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #1,972 of 3,234
I am now contemplating on the Saga +. May i know why you sold it? Yes the concern is a lack of tubiness. But some do say the tube version does add a good emotional feel. So not sure which is which. But most overwhelmingly say its a very transparent amp. Hope that also equates being musical.
I have had a few of each solid state and tube (active and passive) economy-level (under 1500 USD) preamps in my system recently. The preamp selection was to be installed in my tube path. I have 2 inputs into my amp, and been setting-up for one path as solid state (clean) and the other side as euphoric, big stage with layers, magic mids, tubey, but still as precise as possible. With the idea to spend more $$ on the SS side. I tried the Saga + with these tubes:
1) Psvane CV181-T/6SN7 MKII Balance and Tested Premium Grade Golden Pin (little bright, bloated lower mids, good mids especially acoustic guitar, not much depth)
2) Vintage Raytheon 6SN7 GTB Copper Posts Vacuum Tube Results= 3030/2925 (Neutral, nice, closest to passive, vox sounds like direct mic feed)
3) NOS Sylvania US JAN-CHS-6SN7GT/VT-231 Black 2 Rivet T Bad Boy Plate Tube (tight bass, balanced, narrow stage, nice mild mids bloom)
4) METAL BASE 1 x BALANCED 6N8S = 6SN7 = ECC32 = 1578 MELZ tube mid 60's OTK (nice midrange tube bloom, overall linear)
5) Tung-Sol (Russia) 6SN7-GTB, red base (OEM from factory) (adds some dynamics, tangible stage, highs maybe rolled off slightly)
6) RCA 6SN7GTB, USA, 1962 (2 pcs.) (considerable bloom, thick-ish mids, super black background, good depth)
None of these tubes sounded terrible, the comments are just critical comparisons to the passive mode. Also note this was my first exposure to 6SN7's - prior experience was mostly 6922, 12AU7, 5670, etc small tubes. The Saga + was 220V, I use a mains regenerator for clean power. Overall in passive mode, my impression the Saga + was clean control - but kind of obvious the signal was going through an electronic attenuation path. In tube buffer mode, I did not have the sense of integration of the tube and volume control attributes. To me it seemed the tube effect was somewhat detached.

In my system, I preferred a Lightspeed LDR attenuator (12V battery) feeding a Black Ice Audio (Jolida) - Foz SS-X 12AU7 buffer (RCA clear top, powered by mains regenerator). The Lightspeed may actually measure worse than the Saga +, I have not checked, but to me the Lightspeed sounds like there is air in the black box, not electronics. The Foz functions as-advertised with a 12AU7 RCA clear top (very good with the stock new Tong-Sol also) and offers euphoric, large stage with layers, magic mids, clean highs. (seems many tubes are bass heavy but Foz has a control to dial down the bass without obvious audible drawbacks).

The Lightspeed may not work well in all systems as you need be careful of cable selection and length, but as I have things setup it works well.
I am seriously considering replacing the Lightspeed with the Freya S (following the Foz). I could use the remote control and balanced output, and get the feeling from reports that Freya S may be even more transparent than Saga +, and also would offer some dynamics.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #1,973 of 3,234
Hello all, great thread here! and all these great impressions have made me very curious.

I have recently aquired an aegir as an amp to my klipsch rp8000 that I also recently acquired. I am running them alongside a pair of bose 901's with a bottom of the line marrantz reciever. NOT going to upgrade the bose system as it seems pointless but the klipsch seem to be ready for a better preamp. I am currently using my mj2 as a preamp for the aegir>klipsch. Really thinking about getting a freya+ but maybe it would not be as much of a benefit as I am imagining. Schiit has told me that the mj2 serves as a fine preamp for the aegir but I don't want to hold that beast back.

So my next step would be a better preamp, right? I have a yggy a2 with unison as the dac so I'm not upgrading that. I like the speakers so far and they seem to be ready for a better cleaner signal. I just hope by adding a preamp for the price I got both speakers for isn't going to be a disappointment in improvement since I already have the mj2. Any thoughts on that? is this worth it?

also I think I could then also use the freya+ as a preamp for the bose at the same time which may also improve their sound but I'm not that worried about them.

I am not going to be able to be tube rolling much because I don't want to buy a bunch of different expensive tubes and I'd rather just have a couple sets that I like and can switch back and forth for slightly different sound signatures. I have some tubes for my mj2 already but not sure how the whole tube thing works and compatibility so maybe a freya s would be a better choice for me? I do like the large soundstage, instrument separation, and romanticism that tubes present with my zmf Auteurs but is it worth it for this speaker setup?

any advice on my setup and a good preamp is very welcome. (especially if you think the mj2 not is sufficient as a preamp)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,974 of 3,234
Hello all, great thread here! and all these great impressions have made me very curious.

I have recently aquired an aegir as an amp to my klipsch rp8000 that I also recently acquired. I am running them alongside a pair of bose 901's with a bottom of the line marrantz reciever. NOT going to upgrade the bose system as it seems pointless but the klipsch seem to be ready for a better preamp. I am currently using my mj2 as a preamp for the aegir>klipsch. Really thinking about getting a freya+ but maybe it would not be as much of a benefit as I am imagining. Schiit has told me that the mj2 serves as a fine preamp for the aegir but I don't want to hold that beast back.

So my next step would be a better preamp, right? I have a yggy a2 with unison as the dac so I'm not upgrading that. I like the speakers so far and they seem to be ready for a better cleaner signal. I just hope by adding a preamp for the price I got both speakers for isn't going to be a disappointment in improvement since I already have the mj2. Any thoughts on that? is this worth it?

also I think I could then also use the freya+ as a preamp for the bose at the same time which may also improve their sound but I'm not that worried about them.

I am not going to be able to be tube rolling much because I don't want to buy a bunch of different expensive tubes and I'd rather just have a couple sets that I like and can switch back and forth for slightly different sound signatures. I have some tubes for my mj2 already but not sure how the whole tube thing works and compatibility so maybe a freya s would be a better choice for me? I do like the large soundstage, instrument separation, and romanticism that tubes present with my zmf Auteurs but is it worth it for this speaker setup?

any advice on my setup and a good preamp is very welcome. (especially if you think the mj2 not is sufficient as a preamp)
I have not heard the MJ2, but have had a very similar hybrid preamp with 6922's.
I think you should be able to get a fantastic sound (to my preferences:wink:) with a little 6922 tube rolling.
But you should also check the Yggy more direct, so I suggest get a SYS* first to get the tubes out of the path cleanly and cheaply...
https://www.schiit.com/products/sys
I think this will give you a pretty good general idea of the overall speaker characteristics, *but check if the interconnect cable distance limitations would work in your setup.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #1,975 of 3,234

I was using my Mjolnir2 preamp for a while until I got my Freya+. IMO, The Freya+ is a significant upgrade from the mj2 as a preamp. In fact, when I use the mj2, I use the Freya+ as a preamp into the amp section of the mj2. Sounds really good.

I run Aejir monoblocks from my Freya+ with a Gingnir Multibit DAC.

My opinion is .......the mj2 preamp holds the Aejirs back. I strongly encourage the Freya+.......in tube mode. (I have no experience with Saga so no comment on Saga from me.)

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #1,976 of 3,234
yeah that was what I was hoping but for now I will try out the sys directly from the yggy and save up for the freya+. I have thoroughly enjoyed listening with the mj2 so far but maybe it's holding things back. or just not needed. Very interested to see how the yggy sounds without tubes... and with a really good tube preamp later on with the freya+. thanks for the great advice from both of you!

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,977 of 3,234
I had planned on using the mj2 as a preamp too and asked Schiit about it.
They told me that the mj2 isn't great as a preamp and suggested I use something else. It wasn't a sales push, they didn't suggest that i try the freya+.
That said, i did get the freya+ and i've been very happy.

I still use the mj2 for my headphone amp.
oh a side note, i'm still trying to find the right tubes for the mj2, but I did quickly find tubes i really liked in the Freya+
first, while "fine," i'd replace the stock tubes in the Freya+. The quick and ez replacement would be Tung-sol. (this used to be the stock tubes.. but now Schiit use the JJs - which are cheaper.)
If you want save some money (no such thing in tube rolling!!) focus on the two right tubes. They are the gain tubes (for left and right channels.) The two tubes on the left and the driver tubes. They still impact the sound, but much much less. Maybe keep the Tung-Sols in the left and try some fancy stuff in the right.

for me, the winning tubes for my freya+ were the CBS Hytron 5692 (but they are costly.)

A lot of people seem to like 6SN7GTB Sylvania from the 60s/70s - but do make sure they are matched (at least pair matched. The two on the left should match and the two on the right should match.) I found when mixed with the Vidar The Sylvanias had a little to much bass for me. (Vidar's strong point is bass too.) But you are using the Aegir so that isn't a problem.

hrmm.. i was going to say go monoblock! but.. those Klipsch are 98 db sensitivity. You should be fine. but! you can go all XLR with monoblocks! (which will sound about the same :) ) haha. The ladies will be impressed that you are using monoblocks? :) (yes, i'm trying to justify going monoblock myself.. well.. with the Aegir i do need it. My speakers are 86 sensitivity and 4 ohms.)

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #1,980 of 3,234
I had planned on using the mj2 as a preamp too and asked Schiit about it.
They told me that the mj2 isn't great as a preamp and suggested I use something else. It wasn't a sales push, they didn't suggest that i try the freya+.
That said, i did get the freya+ and i've been very happy.

I still use the mj2 for my headphone amp.
oh a side note, i'm still trying to find the right tubes for the mj2, but I did quickly find tubes i really liked in the Freya+
first, while "fine," i'd replace the stock tubes in the Freya+. The quick and ez replacement would be Tung-sol. (this used to be the stock tubes.. but now Schiit use the JJs - which are cheaper.)
If you want save some money (no such thing in tube rolling!!) focus on the two right tubes. They are the gain tubes (for left and right channels.) The two tubes on the left and the driver tubes. They still impact the sound, but much much less. Maybe keep the Tung-Sols in the left and try some fancy stuff in the right.

for me, the winning tubes for my freya+ were the CBS Hytron 5692 (but they are costly.)

A lot of people seem to like 6SN7GTB Sylvania from the 60s/70s - but do make sure they are matched (at least pair matched. The two on the left should match and the two on the right should match.) I found when mixed with the Vidar The Sylvanias had a little to much bass for me. (Vidar's strong point is bass too.) But you are using the Aegir so that isn't a problem.

hrmm.. i was going to say go monoblock! but.. those Klipsch are 98 db sensitivity. You should be fine. but! you can go all XLR with monoblocks! (which will sound about the same :) ) haha. The ladies will be impressed that you are using monoblocks? :) (yes, i'm trying to justify going monoblock myself.. well.. with the Aegir i do need it. My speakers are 86 sensitivity and 4 ohms.)

interesting avatar. Those tubes look like they're in jail. :)

by the way, 4 ohms loads with Aegir in monoblock mode not recommended (can trip the protection circuits if cranked)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back