Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Dec 3, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #1,756 of 3,234
So today I finally decided to pack up my Freya and send it back to Schiit to have it checked out. Before unplugging it, I gave it one last listen so I could compare it with my old Marsh preamp, which would be filling in for it.

And the tubes were quiet for the first time in months — no crackling or buzzing, just a low-level hiss.

Then I tried rolling the volume knob up and down — no popping sound through the speakers.

What.

After months of making weird noises, it’s suddenly quiet and I can again enjoy tube mode. But how in the heck did it “fix” itself? Should I still send it back?
Yes. Considering your "smoke" observation, the unit should be checked out. Did the 'tube swap excursion' cause PWB reflow on poor solder joints? Perhaps. Stranger things have happened.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #1,757 of 3,234
So today I finally decided to pack up my Freya and send it back to Schiit to have it checked out. Before unplugging it, I gave it one last listen so I could compare it with my old Marsh preamp, which would be filling in for it.

And the tubes were quiet for the first time in months — no crackling or buzzing, just a low-level hiss.

Then I tried rolling the volume knob up and down — no popping sound through the speakers.

What.

After months of making weird noises, it’s suddenly quiet and I can again enjoy tube mode. But how in the heck did it “fix” itself? Should I still send it back?
My Freya partially "fixed itself" after I moved my wireless router out of my office, Changed to new production tubes, and the Freya settled into my system. I ended up selling my Freya because it still had low level tube noise. The Modwright LS100 that I replaced it with sounds much better, has no tubes noise, and has a world class tube headphone amp to boot. No looking back for me....

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,758 of 3,234
Finally set up my Freya and was worried a little after having read some of the issues on here. Fortunately I have not had any buzzing our any noise at all. However when playing with stock valves i was like what have i done. I was finding it hard to listen to. Gave it 4 days then decided to pop in some NOS tubes and wow. Absolutely amazing. So clean and detailed i didn’t want to take myself away from the music. I am set up balanced from Dac to Power so this may help.
Early days yet as only been used for 1 week now but i feel very happy i ended up with a Freya. And only found and considered Schiit from all the positive things from this site so thanks to all

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,759 of 3,234
Wow…some good news! I've had my Freya for a year or so now and I feel I have to mention again that it's been extremely quiet (zero tube noise from any of the various NOS and other tubes used), no hiss, no microphonics, and even when using headphones and testing the hiss potential with a Schiit Loki cranked on the high end (it's generally off) it passes with flying colors. A great preamp! (except of course for those who had issues with them…which simply sucks).

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,760 of 3,234
F1FDCADA-CB4C-4616-AE04-206DF3B83BFA.jpeg
Sure not good for them. I listened to my tweeters last night as i was turning off Freya and omg hiss from both. Constant and no change re volume or in passive. Actually no change when tirned off. It actually comes from the power amp. Can only hear up to 12” away and is faint. At least it keeps my tweeters warm as leave it on 24/7.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,761 of 3,234
What are the tubes you're using? I also have my Freya on Vibrapods along with everything else except my turntable…it has its own feet…I even have 'em under my speakers (Klipsch Heresy IIIs). I notice you haven't dimmed the LEDs on the Freya, and wonder if there are any alternatives to opening the lid for that…green pen remedy (a VERY bad idea I actually used as it's insane to close it up with the LEDs going back where they belong)…tiny plastic dots? Cut up old sunglass lenses? Translucent crayon bits?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,762 of 3,234
Cool. I have not tried under speakers. Using spikes to concrete.
tung sol GTB buffer side and Tronal GT in gain. Used my cheepest ones first and am blown away. Saving my specials when these go. Plus after i change my speakers maybe next year

How about you?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,765 of 3,234
My entire Freya gets hot including the area over the transformers, so no "component weights" for me, although I'm not sure what those are…how about small corner installed "C" clamps binding the Freya to a slab of concrete as that would work in a gravity free environment. I use NOS RCAs in the gain and Sylvania Chrome domes in the output…both 6SN7GTBs, and why haven't I heard of Tronal tubes? Clearly there's something wrong with me. That said, I also have the original "mystery tubes," more Chrome Domes, as well as new Tung Sols for the thing.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #1,766 of 3,234
I've tried a few different items, but have found simple stainless steel door stoppers to be the most effective at deadening Freya's cabinet.
They have a rubber bottom so won't slide around or scratch Freya's surface and have plenty of weight to hold Freya in place. Attractive..... not really, but they get the job done!

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #1,767 of 3,234
My entire Freya gets hot including the area over the transformers, so no "component weights" for me, although I'm not sure what those are…how about small corner installed "C" clamps binding the Freya to a slab of concrete as that would work in a gravity free environment. I use NOS RCAs in the gain and Sylvania Chrome domes in the output…both 6SN7GTBs, and why haven't I heard of Tronal tubes? Clearly there's something wrong with me. That said, I also have the original "mystery tubes," more Chrome Domes, as well as new Tung Sols for the thing.
Felt my Freya and yes this area is warm. I love the sound and also will not be placing anything on here.
This is what i found on my valves.

European electronics distributor that supplied high quality valves under its own brand name of Tronal.
These 6SN7GT are from the Russian Fonton Plant and date from the late 1950’s onwards.
This is a NOS Russian classic as the sound quality is exceptional in terms of detail and clarity.It is not muffled and dry like so many 6SN7GT.The valve comes with all the original Russian marking and with the addition of the Tronal red label branding. These are an exceptional 6SN7GT

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,768 of 3,234
If you use something metalic (Steel, brass, etc...) as a weight it will act as a heatsink, pulling some of the heat away from the chassis. My stainless steel door stops with their thin rubber base manage to do this.
Remove the rubber base and I'm sure they would become even more effective heatsinks.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #1,770 of 3,234
There are some little LEDs or something on the circuit board under the tubes that glow orange, not sure why but I've learned to live with it…I like the way the backs of the regular indicator LEDs also glow up through the tube venting holes, as clearly I have a low threshold of entertainment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back