Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
May 9, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #1,786 of 3,226
I have to wonder if my Freya is so quiet because of the various regulated power supplies in the rig, a Humbuster, and decent cables....or luck...Zero hum, and that's with efficient horns...

Must be nice....

I do have one of the earlier versions where the tube gain stage was 13 dB, I think later versions have been changed to 7 dB or so.

I don't have a single set of tubes that aren't noisy, so I don't think it could just be the tubes.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,787 of 3,226
The LSST use depletion-mode MOSFETs and are suppose to have similar performance characteristics to tubes. I bought a quad set when I read that Schitt was going to stop making them. I'm glad I did, I like their sound so much that they're all I use now. I even removed the 4 tube savers from my Freya. Also brad1138, recently in the Schitt happens thread Jason stated it's not recommended to run the Freya without tubes installed.

May 9, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,788 of 3,226
The LSST use depletion-mode MOSFETs and are suppose to have similar performance characteristics to tubes. I bought a quad set when I read that Schitt was going to stop making them. I'm glad I did, I like their sound so much that they're all I use now. I even removed the 4 tube savers from my Freya. Also brad1138, recently in the Schitt happens thread Jason stated it's not recommended to run the Freya without tubes installed.

Interesting, as I am almost positive I read where he said it was fine to run it w/o tubes..... I'll have to try to find that.

But if that is the case, I will likely look to sell it and find a different option. No point in burning up tubes I am not using....

May 10, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #1,789 of 3,226
Must be nice....

I do have one of the earlier versions where the tube gain stage was 13 dB, I think later versions have been changed to 7 dB or so.

I don't have a single set of tubes that aren't noisy, so I don't think it could just be the tubes.

I also have one of the earlier versions of Freya in an Office/Bedroom system, and I'm either 20' or 3' from the speakers depending on which room I'm in. I can't hear tube noise unless my ear is on the speaker; just did this test with Freya volume on max. Right now I'm using some GE(GTB) and Raytheon/Baldwin tubes, but don't hear anything when using Sylvania, RCA, or GE(GTA) either. Seems like the noise might be a little more noticeable with the stock Russian tubes, but I haven't used those in quite a while so I don't remember for sure.

FYI: System is Oppo 105D->Freya->Vidar->Monitor Audio Silver 8 and a Rythmic E15HP sub.

May 29, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,790 of 3,226
I have to wonder if my Freya is so quiet because of the various regulated power supplies in the rig.

I had a lot of issues initially with the Freya introducing tube noise into my system. I use the Freya in my work suite to liven things up on my monitors when I am listening for pleasure instead of work. Comfortable listening level was at about 9:00 on the dial.

After speaking with Schiit about it, I attenuated the monitors to the max (attenuation is switchable on my monitors) and decreased the reference level on my RME to +7dBu and the noise disappeared. It is silent - completely silent in tube mode. Comfortable listening level is now at about 1:00 with the tubes engaged.

I think if you can add attenuation after the Freya it helps.

Listening-Mode setup: W10>Roon>HQPlayer>USB>Intona>USB>RME ADI 2 Dac fs>BAL>Freya (w Quad of Sylvania GTBs top getter)>BAL>Neumann KH120As

May 31, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #1,792 of 3,226
Well damn, I just bought one.....

Nice to see they have a Freya solid state only version as well. Would like to know if the new Freya+ also has the Nexus topology like the new Freya S

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,794 of 3,226
So how much can you sell a used Freya for these days?

I’ll probably wait to see some reviews before buying the new one, but did you see the red T logo on the product page?

What is this weird red T logo on the page?
It indicates that Freya+ is part of our "Product Thunderdome" idea. As in, "two or more products enter, maybe none leaves." If you buy a lot of Freya+, we will make a bunch more. If you don't, it'll disappear after this run. So, if you like the idea of a Freya+, buy one now. Because it might not be around forever.

May 31, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,795 of 3,226
So how much can you sell a used Freya for these days?...
I've seen listings for $400 & $450 come up this week. Definitely a drop since the new product announcement.

May 31, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #1,796 of 3,226
As a Freya owner, I don't think there's enough here for me to want to upgrade to Freya+, but if I were buying new, I'd be very happy with the changes, as they've solved nearly every quibble I have with my unit. What would have gotten me to upgrade? Turning Freya into Ragnarok2 + tube minus the power amp.

So, Freya+ plus multibit card option, top-shelf headphone jacks, including balanced output. That would be a killer product...at least for me.

May 31, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,797 of 3,226
Freya PCB:
freya-PCB-1920.jpg

Freya + PCB:
freya plus pcb 1920.jpg

Freya S PCB:
freya s pcb 1920.jpg

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #1,798 of 3,226
Have been reading enough of this thread --few pages at the start and 3 or 4 at the end-- and definitely agree with the poster who noted that the problem is with the Freya and not the tubes. Ive owned and listened to enough tube gear to know when I am hearing complaints about issues with hum (esp) that those complaints are indicative of unit issue and not the tubes per se (for the most part) What brought me to this thread in the first place is interest in buying a Freya and with my sensitivity to hum issues I would not buy one until maybe now with the Plus available. Very interested in hearing what those who have bought the Plus have to say about hum. If that issue has been resolved. I had just recently been using a Modwright LS100 (6sn7 & 5ar4 rectified) with glorious results and sold it because of simply wanting something a bit more size compatible with my rack. The LS100 is big. Does not fit really in either of my racks unless I would move the feet creating smaller footprint but then chassis still quite big in there but would work. I had been using it on the top shelf of my third rack which was specifically for my TT--- a shorter Sanus steel and glass rack just the right height to accommodate my TT. But then TT went to main rack --not good. Almost regretting selling it. I did get a good price and actually made some money on it which does not happen for the most part in this "hobby" .. Maybe buy another and just set up yet another single piece rack for the huge LS100. Schiit was definitely have some QC or topology design issues and would hope they get it worked out.

Jun 2, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #1,799 of 3,226
Have been reading enough of this thread --few pages at the start and 3 or 4 at the end-- and definitely agree with the poster who noted that the problem is with the Freya and not the tubes. Ive owned and listened to enough tube gear to know when I am hearing complaints about issues with hum (esp) that those complaints are indicative of unit issue and not the tubes per se (for the most part) What brought me to this thread in the first place is interest in buying a Freya and with my sensitivity to hum issues I would not buy one until maybe now with the Plus available. Very interested in hearing what those who have bought the Plus have to say about hum. If that issue has been resolved. I had just recently been using a Modwright LS100 (6sn7 & 5ar4 rectified) with glorious results and sold it because of simply wanting something a bit more size compatible with my rack. The LS100 is big. Does not fit really in either of my racks unless I would move the feet creating smaller footprint but then chassis still quite big in there but would work. I had been using it on the top shelf of my third rack which was specifically for my TT--- a shorter Sanus steel and glass rack just the right height to accommodate my TT. But then TT went to main rack --not good. Almost regretting selling it. I did get a good price and actually made some money on it which does not happen for the most part in this "hobby" .. Maybe buy another and just set up yet another single piece rack for the huge LS100. Schiit was definitely have some QC or topology design issues and would hope they get it worked out.

I tend to agree. I was excited about Freya when it first came out and ordered one right away. I quickly found it to be unusable in tube mode with all but the quietest tubes. Probably 70% of the tubes I have are just too noisy to use in Freya. I switch to solid state mode when listening to quiet music, but the tubes keep on burning. That surprised me the first time I used Freya.

I have now ordered a Freya + to solve all the issues I have with Freya, but I do kind of feel like I've been forced to repurchase this preamp because the original was not entirely baked.

I had put a simple note in my order asking if I could receive the unit without tubes and get a discount for the value of the tubes to at least save the price of the tubes in repurchasing this unit. The unit is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I got no communication from Schiit on the matter and it looks like the full price has been deposited on my credit card - so I guess I have the answer to my question.

I do understand the company's position in this situation - but I also wouldn't call the customer service good.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #1,800 of 3,226
I have now ordered a Freya + to solve all the issues I have with Freya, but I do kind of feel like I've been forced to repurchase this preamp because the original was not entirely baked.

Totally agree. I'm pretty interested in the updated models, but it'd be ridiculous to take in these new developments in an uncritically positive manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back