Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Oct 17, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,666 of 3,254
I think I need service for my Freya...

1st thing, after going from 83 to 93 dB efficient speakers, the background noise when in tube mode is really loud. Even when volume turned off, there is a lot of noise coming from the speakers. So much so, I have gone to not using tube mode... Same issue with multiple different tubes. That noise has always been there, it just wasn't as noticeable with 83 dB efficient spks, and I figured it was normal. It doesn't vary with the volume level.

2nd I tried using XLR cables, and there was a clicking coming from the speakers as I adjusted the volume (not just the clicking that comes from the Freya), and the bass driver was moving out, like someone was pushing on it from behind, as I adjusted the volume. I think that means DC current somehow making it through. That scared me a lot, I didn't want to damage my speakers or amp. I went back to RCA and no problems.

I thought I would check here to see if any of these issues are "normal" before contacting Schiit for service.

Thanks
Have you checked to make sure you don't have a ground loop?

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,667 of 3,254
Have you checked to make sure you don't have a ground loop?

Nothing like that (and yes), I have had it in 2 different systems, both with power/line conditioners. Problem has always been there, but I figured it was normal "tube noise" at 1st.

UfcarzIh.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,668 of 3,254
It is more of a static noise, than a hum.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #1,669 of 3,254

1st thing, after going from 83 to 93 dB efficient speakers, the background noise when in tube mode is really loud. Even when volume turned off, there is a lot of noise coming from the speakers. So much so, I have gone to not using tube mode... Same issue with multiple different tubes. That noise has always been there, it just wasn't as noticeable with 83 dB efficient spks, and I figured it was normal. It doesn't vary with the volume level.

2nd I tried using XLR cables, and there was a clicking coming from the speakers as I adjusted the volume (not just the clicking that comes from the Freya), and the bass driver was moving out, like someone was pushing on it from behind, as I adjusted the volume. I think that means DC current somehow making it through. That scared me a lot, I didn't want to damage my speakers or amp. I went back to RCA and no problems.

I thought I would check here to see if any of these issues are "normal" before contacting Schiit for service.

Thanks

That’s likely a sign of tubes going out and not the Freya itself. Put on some new quad matched or 2 matched pair tubes and see if those symptoms disappear

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,670 of 3,254
Nothing like that (and yes), I have had it in 2 different systems, both with power/line conditioners. Problem has always been there, but I figured it was normal "tube noise" at 1st.

UfcarzIh.jpg

Nice system!

I had pretty similar results with certain tubes and the Freya. Mostly NOS tubes. When I changed to newer release tubes like the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z the problem was reduced significantly or totally gone depending on the sensitivity of the speakers / headphones. With very sensitive headphones I could never eliminate the noise.

I never had clicking with XLR cables. That sounds like a problem with the wiring of the cables or possibly your source leaking current. It could simply be that the tubes are so noisy that it is effecting your drivers like that. Does it do the same thing with different sources connected with the same XLR cables?

I want to be honest, I sold my Freya because of the noise. I purchased a Modwright LS100 and haven't looked back.

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,671 of 3,254
That’s likely a sign of tubes going out and not the Freya itself. Put on some new quad matched or 2 matched pair tubes and see if those symptoms disappear
I have tried a few different pair. I will try the original set that I replaced with Tung Sol tubes very shortly after getting it.

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,672 of 3,254
Nice system!

I had pretty similar results with certain tubes and the Freya. Mostly NOS tubes. When I changed to newer release tubes like the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z the problem was reduced significantly or totally gone depending on the sensitivity of the speakers / headphones. With very sensitive headphones I could never eliminate the noise.

I never had clicking with XLR cables. That sounds like a problem with the wiring of the cables or possibly your source leaking current. It could simply be that the tubes are so noisy that it is effecting your drivers like that. Does it do the same thing with different sources connected with the same XLR cables?

I want to be honest, I sold my Freya because of the noise. I purchased a Modwright LS100 and haven't looked back.

Thanks,
I have a PS Audio preamp that had no problems in the same place with the XLR. I am running my Tung Sol NP right now, that probably only have about 500 hr's or less on them, and they are doing the same thing.

Also, the Modwright LS100 looks very nice, too rich for my blood though... :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,673 of 3,254
Thanks,
I have a PS Audio preamp that had no problems in the same place with the XLR. I am running my Tung Sol NP right now, that probably only have about 500 hr's or less on them, and they are doing the same thing.

Also, the Modwright LS100 looks very nice, too rich for my blood though... :wink:
One other thing that you may want try is lifting the tubes out of the case with socket savers. That helped my noise issue.

Another thought comes to mind. I had really bad noise with NOS and new production tubes when I had a wireless network router or cell phone near my Freya.

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #1,675 of 3,254

Thanks

Try it in JFET mode and observe any changes in the noise.

WARNING: If you listen for a while in JFET mode you may never use tubes again.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,676 of 3,254
Try it in JFET mode and observe any changes in the noise.

WARNING: If you listen for a while in JFET mode you may never use tubes again.

In passive or JFET mode, it is dead silent.

I actually have found I like passive mode most with this system. The Tekton Lore-S speakers are extremely detailed and revealing, passive mode's clarity is even more appreciated with them.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,677 of 3,254
In passive or JFET mode, it is dead silent.

I actually have found I like passive mode most with this system. The Tekton Lore-S speakers are extremely detailed and revealing, passive mode's clarity is even more appreciated with them.

Yep. It's confirmed now that it's the tubes. I'd probably do some faraday shielding around the tubes (assuming they're working perfectly) and hopefully that mitigates some crackling, humming or clicking on speakers when adjusting the relay.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,679 of 3,254
Tried both grounding options, no help. "Mains" hum still audible with the tubes, and different tubes give varied results. I guess a friend comes over with an oscilloscope, hopefully next weekend, so we can produce screenshots to Sonority/Schiit? Or should I try that isolator/attenuator?
Related to this, I haven't forgotten it, got the move done back to the normal apartment last weekend, quick testing, quick measurements with the oscilloscope with screenshots a week before that, clearly showing the 50Hz hum in tube mode but not in the two others, tried another new thing this week (more on that later, but the problem got fixed, but it's not really an sensible option with a 1700€ set), and doing further testing with another power amp instead of Vidar with some other ideas. I'll report back as soon as I can.
Schiit replied me with forwarding my questions to a "senior tech" along with a request to contact the distributor - Sonority Audio, haven't gotten around to that yet until I've exhausted all of my ideas. No reply from that senior tech from Schiit; but I'll keep them updated about my findings when I get around to that.

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,680 of 3,254
Hey folks, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I ordered Freya last Wednesday (10/17), and it hasn't shipped yet. Last night they put it on Backorder until 11/22. I'm crossing my fingers that mine was in stock before it went into Backorder, but judging by how infrequently they seem to update the website status, I may be out of luck. When I do get it, I'll post about how it sounds on my 2-channel speaker setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back