Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Sep 3, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #1,637 of 3,255
If I said I get leakage in mute I stand corrected…I do get leakage when the volume is down all the way, but after reading DrJam's post I checked the Freya and there is zero sound when muted…with a streamer running into the Freya in tube mode to a Dennis Had Firebottle SEP amp, I put my ear up to the horns in my Klipsch Heresy IIIs and nada…zero anything with the Freya muted. Single ended (only choice) to the Had amp.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #1,639 of 3,255
Balanced from the Oppo.

My setup is fully balanced:: Desktop PC / RME Soundcard -- AES to Yggy --- XLR to Freya -- XLR to Focal Subwoofer -- XLR to Focal Studio Monitors.

It could just be that the balanced outs from the Yggdrasil are (maybe) hotter than the Oppo, thus the noticeable sound bleed?
For sure when I had an SPL Volume 2 hooked up to a Yggy A1 their was zero sound bleed - either at min volume or when muted.

Anyway, not a big deal... Freya still functions just fine otherwise and sounds great doing it! If I need 100% mute, I just need to do so from the PC instead.

Sep 4, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #1,640 of 3,255
An update on the electro Harmonix new stock eh6sn7 tubes running as a matched quad. Unless you have dark to warm phones it will be too bright for most neutral to bright phones to run all eh6sn7.

However, using the eh as buffer and running lush/warm tubes as drivers makes them to be very nice synergy.

I've got a set of match Sylvania vt231 coming, we'll see how these sound with the eh6sn7 or maybe even as buffer tubes with the pavane.

Soundsgoodtome - Glad to have found your report. I was going to post a new query asking for a REALITY CHECK on what I think I'm hearing. Hunted a bit through past posts in this Freya tube rolling thread before writing and came across your comments from April 2017.

I have some NOS RCAs that are a pleasure in the gain position (NP TungSols in buffer). The RCAs are very musical with nice bass and sound stage. In one configuration I run, however, they are a little too smooth and more high end extension is needed.

NOS GEs were recommended and they definitely do lively things up pretty good when used in gain (TungSols in buffer as before). But a little too much in this particular configuration. To tame some of the excess brightness, I reinstalled the RCAs but in the buffer position in place of the TungSols. Wasn't sure how much influence on the overall sound the buffer tubes would have.

This pairing (RCAs in buffer; GEs in gain) does seem like it has provided the desired balance - smoothing out the sound from the GEs just a bit but not losing all the HF extension they bring.

I will of course, have to experiment with RCAs in gain and the GEs in buffer as you suggest ("lush/warm tubes as drivers...nice synergy") to see how this reversed positioning sounds.

Best regards,
GH

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #1,642 of 3,255
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,644 of 3,255
Can't seem to post pics this morning for some reason. Finally!

I HAVE 2 OF THESE FROM TUBEMONGER
upload_2018-9-5_9-50-53.png

I’VE ORDERED 4 of THESE FROM王龙飞 auakg@suzier.com
auakg@suzier_com.png

I got the first 2 for use with a pair of Psvane 6SN7 – UK. The extenders don’t fit flush to the base of the tubes but tightly enough to pass the signal without issue. I have found it difficult to remove the Psvane’s without the extender coming with it so it will just be an extender and not a saver.

I bought the 4 gold plated ones to see if they will seat better.

I only need / use them with the Psvane’s which go into the opening straight without a problem but to remove them, the rocking motion I use rubs against the opening in the top of LYR-3. I don’t need them with standard shaped glass and I’m not worried about the heat.

C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #1,646 of 3,255
Can Freya be used without tubes? I like to stack Gungnir on top of it.
Yes, although I wouldn't recommend stacking on top of it without adequate space between it and the Gungnir.

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,650 of 3,255
Thanks. Right but I have a slightly complicated plan :). I like to stack Freya on top of two Vidars and the Gungnir at the top by using Schiit's XLR interconnects that are roughly 9" in length. If I do it your way, reaching from Freya to Vidars would not be possible.
You don't stack ANYTHING on top of Vidars

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back