Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,396 of 3,254
Greetings all, first post.

I’ve been looking at a tube integrated but became curious about separates.

As I’ve read over the course of this thread it seems like there are less problems with Freya vs when they were released. So I wanted to ask a few questions about typical separates as they relate to Schiit’s offerings.

1. Freya is known to get hot, is this common with other preamps?

2. Ordering with the optional Tung Sols is giving good results right out of the box?

I think that’s all I have right now. Freya would be my intro to tubes and also separates so anyone who made that leap can pass on tips and “good to knows” I’d appreciate it.

Edit: my only source will be vinyl through a Lounge LCR MKIII

Welcome to the group. All tube gear puts off heat. I used 6DJ8 and 12AX7 tubes and variants for years. The right combination of 6SN7s sound pretty awesome, and Schiit gear is far less expensive than what it would cost were it sold in stores! I haven't heard their amps as I have a pretty good amp now and can't justify the gamble, but the Freya is in use while my Acoustic Research LS15, Coda 05R, and Parasound H3 preamps collect dust.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,397 of 3,254
Thanks. I know that in forums one typically only reads complaints so usually things tip negative.

I’m curious to know why the tube stage is so boosted. Seems like it exposes tubes that aren’t perfect but not for any real sonic gain. Thoughts? Also are you running Vidar with the Freya?

I believe the 13db is pretty standard for the tube, and you'd surely hear the tube noise with lower gain if you have the volume matched. 6SN7s, I understand, tend to be microphonic prone, but they are also reputed to be one of the better sounding tubes if you get a good set.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,398 of 3,254
Wow...that is a heavy load you carry. Sorry to hear about it.

I’m not sorry. My kiddo is frickin’ awesome. She’s a better person than I’ll ever be. My life is about her first and myself a distant second. Those distant seconds are my decompression time and so I like to throw on a few sides and relax.

I don’t smoke or do drugs and drink maybe 3 times a year so Music is my relaxation.

I’d like to purchase in late August or early September as I will have stored funds enough to absorb (hitting Disneyland next summer so I have to have that in line before the year is over).

I’m not living my best life but I am living my most important life. That’s all that matters for another 3 years. If all goes according to plan I can figure how to have a life and make friends after that.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,399 of 3,254
I’m not sorry. My kiddo is frickin’ awesome. She’s a better person than I’ll ever be. My life is about her first and myself a distant second. Those distant seconds are my decompression time and so I like to throw on a few sides and relax.

I don’t smoke or do drugs and drink maybe 3 times a year so Music is my relaxation.

I’d like to purchase in late August or early September as I will have stored funds enough to absorb (hitting Disneyland next summer so I have to have that in line before the year is over).

I’m not living my best life but I am living my most important life. That’s all that matters for another 3 years. If all goes according to plan I can figure how to have a life and make friends after that.
Hats off to you! Great outlook and attitude. Hope you make the perfect decision...whether the Schiit separates or the integrated. Have to say, for me right now, the gear, including Freya, is pretty much in place. Sure there's always something better out there but at this point the music is the BIG variable. Finding interesting and well recorded stuff seems more and more of a challenge. You can only listen to Stairway to Heaven so many times before going completely mad. The variability in recording quality is the 900 pound gorilla in the room that no one seems to talk about. Having the best gear money can buy doesn't make up for crap recordings. Again, good luck to you.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #1,400 of 3,254

My warmest regards to you. You obviously have a good perspective.

On the Audio front, you may wish to use a Saga/Vidar combo instead. I have used both Saga and Vidar. I can say that Saga is really excellent if you are using a single ended source

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,401 of 3,254

On the Audio front, you may wish to use a Saga/Vidar combo instead. I have used both Saga and Vidar. I can say that Saga is really excellent if you are using a single ended source
I wouldn’t be running mono blocks now but maybe in the future. Have you compared the sound of the Freya and the Saga? I know their implementation of tubes differed but how about overall sound comparison?

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,402 of 3,254

My speakers are rated 92db although Stereophile rated them 90 and change. I wanted to add that.

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,403 of 3,254
I wouldn’t be running mono blocks now but maybe in the future. Have you compared the sound of the Freya and the Saga? I know their implementation of tubes differed but how about overall sound comparison?

They both have a 'family' sound in tube mode. The biggest advantage of Freya is the ability to use a balanced source and the increased gain.

As to running 1 Vidar vs 2. Vidar does not change character right up to the point it goes into protection mode. You don't really need to keep reserve power just fif headroom. Vidar's 100 watt rating belies its capability

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,404 of 3,254
They both have a 'family' sound in tube mode. The biggest advantage of Freya is the ability to use a balanced source and the increased gain.

As to running 1 Vidar vs 2. Vidar does not change character right up to the point it goes into protection mode. You don't really need to keep reserve power just fif headroom. Vidar's 100 watt rating belies its capability

I see. One Vidar would be enough me thinks. I’d be coming from a 45 wpc Marantz Class D. While it does many things right, it doesn’t give me the mid bass I want. This is because the speakers I run have impedance that drops to 4 ohms around 100hz and to get any of that I need to raise the volume hitting 95-100db minimum (which isn’t conducive to Apartment living).
The tube integrated I have been pondering is the Rogue Cronus Magnum 2 which is all tube and 100wpc.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,405 of 3,254
Not sure if these get mentioned around here much but the "factory upgraded" Jolida amps are an amazing value…I owned one of their power amps for years , a 502P, and rolled tubes all over it. Their newer integrated version has balanced inputs and such and switching for various tube types. If I wasn't a slave to single ended tube mojo I'd still have the Jolida.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,406 of 3,254
I see. One Vidar would be enough me thinks. I’d be coming from a 45 wpc Marantz Class D. While it does many things right, it doesn’t give me the mid bass I want. This is because the speakers I run have impedance that drops to 4 ohms around 100hz and to get any of that I need to raise the volume hitting 95-100db minimum (which isn’t conducive to Apartment living).
The tube integrated I have been pondering is the Rogue Cronus Magnum 2 which is all tube and 100wpc.
That Rogue amp is spectacular. I have one and wouldn’t give it up under any circumstances.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,407 of 3,254
That Rogue amp is spectacular. I have one and wouldn’t give it up under any circumstances.
It’s been my front runner but since I listen to
Primarily punk and reggae with a splash of jazz I started looking at maybe going separates. Having a tube front end with SS amplification primarily. Freya+Vidar or Saga+Vidar would be less expensive than the Rogue even used. So I started looking into it.
This whole rabbit hole was born from seeing a Rogue Sphinx. Ugh....

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,408 of 3,254
It’s been my front runner but since I listen to
Primarily punk and reggae with a splash of jazz I started looking at maybe going separates. Having a tube front end with SS amplification primarily. Freya+Vidar or Saga+Vidar would be less expensive than the Rogue even used. So I started looking into it.
I have the Freya with two Vidars as well . The Rogue is much more powerful than running two Vidars in monoblock mode .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back