Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 5, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,412 of 3,259
Interesting. So what are your thoughts on either?
Both combos are excellent . Slight nod to Schiit on clarity, resolution. I feel the Rogue is better at lower volume levels though in detail retrieval .
Both have a nice and wide soundstage . Even .

For more raucous music like punk or rock , I like the Rogue . It kicks ass . For , jazz , vocals , I prefer the Schiit .

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #1,415 of 3,259
Both combos are excellent . Slight nod to Schiit on clarity, resolution. I feel the Rogue is better at lower volume levels though in detail retrieval .
Both have a nice and wide soundstage . Even .

For more raucous music like punk or rock , I like the Rogue . It kicks ass . For , jazz , vocals , I prefer the Schiit .
That’s EXACTLY the type of response I’m looking for. Low volume retrieval is a big deal (though yes my Marantz has tone controls and a loudness button). Do you find that tube rolling the Schiit really pays off or is it more incremental?

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #1,417 of 3,259
That’s EXACTLY the type of response I’m looking for. Low volume retrieval is a big deal (though yes my Marantz has tone controls and a loudness button). Do you find that tube rolling the Schiit really pays off or is it more incremental?
The stock tubes were garbage . Yes I would say tube rolling pays off . I have Shuangang Treasure tubes in now are they sound great .
I suspect you could tube roll with Rogue but the Tung Sols they use are great .
Both Rogue and Schiit are great companies to deal with .

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,419 of 3,259
The stock tubes were garbage . Yes I would say tube rolling pays off . I have Shuangang Treasure tubes in now are they sound great .
I suspect you could tube roll with Rogue but the Tung Sols they use are great .
Both Rogue and Schiit are great companies to deal with .
Perfect. I really appreciate your insight. This gives me a frame of reference as I have heard the Cronus.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,421 of 3,259
As a tube amp grease freak for about 50 years (albeit guitar amps mostly as a "working" musician) I always recommend tubes since they're more fun because they glow, you can look at them (take a transistor out and look at it…wait…no do not do that), change the tone of your amp by rolling them, and bore the daylights out of your "we don't care about audio" friends by ranting about your tubes.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,422 of 3,259
To add to this discussion and put a little different spin on it.... If you change your transducers it makes a huge difference for the positive or negative. I changed my speakers to the Zu Omen IIs this weekend and it has nullified the need to seek another preamp. I was looking at the Don Sach's Model 2 and the Hattor Audio passive pre w/ tube stage. I'm not wanting to change now..... I previously had the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 and I'm using a First Watt J2 as my amp.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,423 of 3,259
To add to this discussion and put a little different spin on it.... If you change your transducers it makes a huge difference for the positive or negative. I changed my speakers to the Zu Omen IIs this weekend and it has nullified the need to seek another preamp. I was looking at the Don Sach's Model 2 and the Hattor Audio passive pre w/ tube stage. I'm not wanting to change now..... I previously had the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 and I'm using a First Watt J2 as my amp.
I really like my speakers. On another forum I got badgered about swapping speakers. They will be around a while. I was taught to buy speakers and then pick amplification that suits said speakers. Which is what I’m aiming at.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,424 of 3,259
Regarding low level listening, a Schiit Loki EQ is great for low level stuff and keeping the dreaded Fletcher Munson out of your earballs. I've had one of these for a while and it's generally out of the loop (literally), but when you need to fix a mix or listen at low level it's a cool el-cheapo gizmo…and seems utterly transparent when switched in and out. It's small enough that you can hide it from you elitist purist friends…they'll never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back