Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Feb 13, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,351 of 3,234
From what I read, the rectangular plates were less desirable than the "flat" plates. Hard to tell for sure from your pic, but it looks like rectangular.

True, I was referencing the T. Not sure about the plates, I don't believe that I have heard the angled plates with the T yet, if I find a pair I may buy them. I snagged this from ePay, as I like to call it, because it was a clear shot of the T.

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,352 of 3,234
Received a quad of LISSTs for Freya today. Have them installed now. They are stubby ...maybe 2/3rds the height of the new production EH 6SN7s I was running and about the same diameter. Installed without benefit of socket savers to elevate them, they protrude ~1/2" above the top of the Freya case. They are "weighty" for their size. I was a little surprised at how warm they run, even at idle. Right (F & R) gain pair definitely warmer than the left pair. After playing 40 minutes or so it's possible to touch them but not for very long. Sonically any differences from the EH 6SN7s are pretty subtle to my ear...possibly a little less high end extension (i.e., "air") but, then, stage depth seems more evident and better defined. I'm thinking sound quality is like JFET mode but on steroids gain-wise. Amount of gain provided seems comparable to the EHs - maybe slightly more (based on SPL at a given volume knob position). They've only been installed and powered up for 3 hours now and seeing signal for not quite an hour. I expect their character will become more evident with additional time in use.

To anyone interested...
The LISSTs are on their way back to Schiit. During the second day of use they started producing noise in the right channel. No signal being applied and Freya in mute mode. Something getting through that shouldn't have. Sounded like a short and, actually, a lot like a conventional tube going bad. Shut things down. Pulled the LISSTs. Installed a quad of conventional glass tubes. Powered back up. Everything okay...no damage done. Given the long expected service life of 6SN7s in Freya and their affordability, I personally don't see an advantage to LISST. Maybe if they ran cool...but they don't.

By the way, Laura in Schiit customer service was very quick to respond to my email about the problem and provided a prepaid FEDEX label for the return.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,353 of 3,234
So I have been using the Freya for a while . I have treasure tubes with Herbie tube dampeners because I had some buzzing noises .
I have been playing music for weeks at a low steady volume . I cranked it up today for about 20 minutes and when I turned the volume down to my lower level I noticed some of the buzzing noise I haven’t heard in weeks . Just slightly though .
So what does that tell me ?

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #1,354 of 3,234
I've been running my Freya with a quad of LISST's since last week. Sounds very fine, and provides ample gain for my Vidar's and subs.

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,355 of 3,234
I've been running my Freya with a quad of LISST's since last week. Sounds very fine, and provides ample gain for my Vidar's and subs.

Glad the LISSTs are working out for you. My bad luck, I guess. Had they not started generating that noise, I probably would have kept them but now that they are gone, not missing them. Only need the gain from tube-mode with one amp. With the other two, I've been very happy using Freya in JFET mode. It's not a problem for me to re-install 6SN7s when using the F7. I do plan on getting some socket savers when they are back in stock at Parts Connexion. Again, good luck to you.

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #1,356 of 3,234
Glad the LISSTs are working out for you. My bad luck, I guess. Had they not started generating that noise, I probably would have kept them but now that they are gone, not missing them. Only need the gain from tube-mode with one amp. With the other two, I've been very happy using Freya in JFET mode. It's not a problem for me to re-install 6SN7s when using the F7. I do plan on getting some socket savers when they are back in stock at Parts Connexion. Again, good luck to you.

I'm sorry to hear that you got a bum LISST. Freya sounds great in JFET mode, and can be magical with the right tubes, as this thread attests. Enjoy!

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,357 of 3,234
Does anyone know if the Freya still convert single ended RCA inputs to balanced differential outputs while using the tube gain stage with 4x OCTAL LISST installed?

I am thinking about having the Chord Qutest as my DAC but I want it to be balanced going into my balanced HP amp while losing as little quality as possible.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,358 of 3,234
Does anyone know if the Freya still convert single ended RCA inputs to balanced differential outputs while using the tube gain stage with 4x OCTAL LISST installed?

I am thinking about having the Chord Qutest as my DAC but I want it to be balanced going into my balanced HP amp while losing as little quality as possible.
Answer should most certainly be yes, but you may want to ask Jason directly on his thread or email Schiit directly.

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #1,360 of 3,234
Started off stock tubes. They got noisy very fast. Put in matched quad of New Tung-Sol, that was better, rolled a matched pair of CBS/Hytrons into gain stage, sound got better but the tubes were very noisy. Got a matched pair of the Zaytrons ( rebranded CBS/Hytrons ) from upscale... moved the noisy 5692's into buffer stage and put the new 5692's into gain.... oh my. Oh my oh my oh my - now wishing I'da done a matched quad. Anyway, moral of story is:

Stock Russians are garbage, Tung Sols are ok. Then there is a big gap, and then there is the 5692's. My chain? Yggy > Freya > Vidar > Kef LS50.

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #1,362 of 3,234
For cheap replacements that are decent, try the EH6sn7. I think they're under $100 for 4.

Might not play well with a bright rig but should be decent for neutral and warm chains. Specially R2R/ladder chains..

+1 for Soundsgoodtome comments about the EH 6SN7s. They are neutral and dead silent in a chain consisting of...

Aries Mini>>Schitt Eitr>>Gungnir MB>>Freya>>various power amps>>Prelude Plus or Totem Forest speakers

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,363 of 3,234
Thanks! I will email Schiit and advise if they confirm.

Schitt responded that the Freya OCTAL LISST tubes do convert single ended RCA inputs to balanced differential outputs like traditional tubes.

Quoted question "Hello. Does the Freya still convert single ended RCA inputs to balanced differential outputs while using the tube gain stage with OCTAL LISST installed?"
Quoted response "Yes it does. The LISST are solid state tube equivalents so they operate functionally just like a regular tube."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back