Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jan 25, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #136 of 3,234
In terms of sound, my initial impression is this: overall doesn't change the type of sound I'm hearing with the passive and JFET modes: clean and clear, with wide sound stage, good detail presentation. 

The tube output has a LOT more gain, and I'd say bass is a little bit less extended and taut, and the overall sound is a bit rounder/softer/less clean and precise  than in the other two modes. But not by a lot. Percussion instruments and cymbals seem a bit more prominent in tube mode. I can certainly hear a difference if I A/B modes, but I'm not sure I'd instantly know which mode was playing if I walked into the room with the playback already going. They aren't THAT different, at least in my setup.

I did think mp3s and old (50's-60's) recordings sounded better through tube mode, but maybe that's expectation bias of some kind playing games in my head.  I'm pretty sure long term my go to mode will be JFET. 

This is consistent with my impression after 5 days with my Freya. Your description of the difference in bass is almost precisely what I perceive. As my speakers go very deep, I do notice the relative lack of low bass when using the tube section, so it looks like I'll be playing with Freya with Jfet buffer. The tubes have been removed so that I have the option of keeping the unit powered up all the time.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #137 of 3,234
  Same here when using tube mode with a PC (USB) to Gumby (BAL) to Freya (BAL) to Genelec monitors.  If my pc volume is at 60%, I can hear most audio stuff even when muted.  I've been turning my pc volume down to about 20%.  At 20%, I can't hear it when muted, but I can still hear it faintly when turned all the way down in tube mode.

Maybe when volume is turned all the way down, or pre is turned on, it is at the first setting or .6xxx dB, where muted is 0 dB?  

Or to use vol knob after using remote, the remote volume has to be turned all the way down, then the vol knob will engage.  Maybe last position helps identify this???

Just a thought.  

For me in tube mode, I can barely hear it with my ear right up to panel.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #138 of 3,234
Fed ex delivered my Freya today. So first impressions are it's ok. With the stock tubes the highs and upper midrange seem rolled off. All the little details that make the Yggdrasil so great seem to get lost.

I replaced the Freya with the old preamp and everything returned. I don't know maybe the tubes or just needs some burn in time. I've got some NOS tubes on the way hope that helps.

Right now I'm ready to box it up and return it.

Maybe my expections were too high after the Yggdrasil. It's the best 2300 bucks I've spent on audio equipment.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #140 of 3,234
Fed ex delivered my Freya today. So first impressions are it's ok. With the stock tubes the highs and upper midrange seem rolled off. All the little details that make the Yggdrasil so great seem to get lost.

I replaced the Freya with the old preamp and everything returned. I don't know maybe the tubes or just needs some burn in time. I've got some NOS tubes on the way hope that helps.

Maybe my expections were too high after the Yggdrasil. It's the best 2300 bucks I've spent on audio equipment.

Put the quad RCA 5692s and Freya opens up like how it should sound!

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #141 of 3,234

Any tube will need quite a few hours of burn in to settle in, I gave the stock ones a good 20 hours but like many said they are ok but not the best. You could go for the prized quad. Many seem to like the new tung sols. I have decided at this point to avoid the high dollar tubes, RIght now I have a Pair of  RCA 6SN7GT on the Input Side which is sounds very balanced without excessive highs and has good bass with a really smooth mid end, I really like the signature of this tube. and pair '54 GE 6SNGTB Coinbase on the output side. Less than $75 for all four tubes. The GE's seemed a little dull on the the input side and the high were a a little much. At first I left the stock tubes on the output side but did not like it, The Stock tubes get you started but change them all,  WIth my Bimby and the freya as it stands now with about close to 40 hours on the tubes is as enjoyable as my analog rig with a lower noise floor and not pops, which all told his not a high dollar setup but not crap either. Swap those tubes out and give the new ones some time to burn in. I did not really start to enjoy my current tube config until about the 25 hour mark. Also try the freys out for a few hours in the Jfet Buffer mode that should give you a good idea of what it is capable of why you wait for your tubes, I think someone  said that the Jfet stage needed a few hours before it settled in as well. I have been running only tubes at this point

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #142 of 3,234
I'm getting an intermittent ringing or static noise coming with new tung sol quads. The tung sols are a lot better than stock tho. I've tried swapping the tubes in every possible combination with slightly different results. The ringing noise doesn't get louder so its not too noticeable if the music is cranked up. Is this normal for tube preamps? Should I just accept a little noise and be happy? Maybe I've been unlucky with the tube lottery. I don't want to keep throwing money at it and am probably not interested in spending much more than 25 bucks per tube. I think my next step is to turn down the input sensitivity on the Genelecs. Every mode sounds really good to me, just have a slightly annoying issue with tubes.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #143 of 3,234
^ I get that too sometimes. In my case, it happens when the preamp is running for while. If I turn it off and then turn it back, it goes away and comes back again after sometime. I am not sure if its the tube or something to do with the preamp.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #144 of 3,234
Hmmm I have not heard any ringing on my Freya it is dead silient even after being on for hours. I use a Vali2 at work and have a Valhalla 2. The only "ringer I had was the orginal vali when I bumped the table. Ringing is generally caused by Microphonics in the tubes. Does it ring with the stock tubes too? If not use 2 of the stock tubes in the freya and use two of the tung sols and swap them in and out so maybe you can isolate the issue. Also Make sure whatever you have the freya on is stable and does not vibrate when people walk by , when the cat sneezes or when the dog farts.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #145 of 3,234

What pre do you have now for the comparison to Freya?

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #146 of 3,234
I'm getting an intermittent ringing or static noise coming with new tung sol quads. The tung sols are a lot better than stock tho. I've tried swapping the tubes in every possible combination with slightly different results. The ringing noise doesn't get louder so its not too noticeable if the music is cranked up. Is this normal for tube preamps? Should I just accept a little noise and be happy? Maybe I've been unlucky with the tube lottery. I don't want to keep throwing money at it and am probably not interested in spending much more than 25 bucks per tube. I think my next step is to turn down the input sensitivity on the Genelecs. Every mode sounds really good to me, just have a slightly annoying issue with tubes.

I had some of this with the Tung Sols . Put stock tubes back in , then after a few minutes put Tung Sols back in and no ringing static .
I have no idea how I did it but tubes can be finicky .
Make sure no cell phones , lights with dimmers, charging stations are around the preamp .

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #147 of 3,234

Put the quad RCA 5692s and Freya opens up like how it should sound!

​I have to concur with the 5692s. In order to have a touchstone I ordered a quad of the Tung Sols. After 30 hours I doubt seriously that they will suddenly blossom into the league of the 5692's. I think that Schiit should offer the Tung Sols as an option with Freya. Like no tubes for $650 or with a matched quad of Tung Sols $750. They are nice tubes and quiet and readily available and that would help new owners start with at least quiet consistent good sounding tubes. The stock ones don't seem to fare too well so far. 

The JFET buffer stage is great. Sound stage is bigger and deeper than passive, at least for me. The 5692's improve the JFET buffer in dynamics, sound stage width and depth, and most revealing to me the focus of the instruments is even more resolved and tonalities are just there. The Tung Sols improve the sound stage width don't add as much dynamics, add sparkle but not focus and detail. That's just me. Don't sell the farm to buy tubes if don't really want to try. That was the whole idea of the product. There is the excellent JFET buffer. 

There are some really awesome sounding tubes I have for my head phone amps so I bought Freya with the thought of finding the right tubes for me in my 2 channel gear.
biggrin.gif
 Personally my Krell 280P pre was in the minor leagues even when compared to JFET, or any other pieces of Schiit I've tried as a pre. Freya with 5692s is by far the best so far.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #148 of 3,234

I agree with you about Yggy- and I even questioned that when I first got it but it was because the rest of my gear was not up to par.

If you have 5692 (4 of them) give them a shot. I have two RCA red bases (in the inputs) and two CBS 5692 (in the outputs) all matched, all NOS. Amazing performance, crazy good! If that doesn't do it then maybe return it because I don't think it will get better than that. For me, I'm very satisfied with it but it doesn't mean it is perfect for everyone. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #149 of 3,234
2 matched pairs of NOS RCA 5692s already cost 2/3 of Freyas. We desperately need a reissue of the 5692s with the same material, quality and construction and of course the red/brown base only! It has to be a 100% clone of the NOS and no substitute or equivalent materials for the new reissue tubes are allowed, but unfortunately that's a pipe dream in this generation and the future.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #150 of 3,234

And how about in passive or JFET mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back