Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jan 17, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #61 of 3,233
I think just go for the Nee production Tung Sols

A few people have now reported liking the new production Tungsols.

How would you characterize the sound? Do they have that magical midrange touch?

That is crucial to me. I almost wish Schiit had used 12AT7 because I already have Telefunken ECC801S that will give me goose bumps on vocals.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #62 of 3,233
A few people have now reported liking the new production Tungsols.

How would you characterize the sound? Do they have that magical midrange touch?

That is crucial to me. I almost wish Schiit had used 12AT7 because I already have Telefunken ECC801S that will give me goose bumps on vocals.

NOS Sylvania GTA (not GTB) have that midrange sweetness to it from one user.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #64 of 3,233
One can consider the Electro-Harmonix 6SN7EH which is similarly priced

Isn't EH the same factory (New Sensor) as new Tung-Sols, Sovteks, etc?

If so, what's the difference between the EH and Tung Sol models?

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #65 of 3,233

Isn't EH the same factory (New Sensor) as new Tung-Sols, Sovteks, etc?

If so, what's the difference between the EH and Tung Sol models?

The tubes appear identical to my eyes except for chrome/fake chrome top coating + black smoked glass that extends to the top mica on the EH model. Plates can vary from black to gray color on some of the pics I've seen, but the geometry and the length are the same. Support rods holding the micas are also identical to my eyes. One has to test match quads of EH (black base) against the Tungsol to find out if there's sonic difference between them.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #66 of 3,233

The tubes appear identical to my eyes except for chrome/fake chrome top coating + black smoked glass that extends to the top mica on the EH model. Plates can vary from black to gray color on some of the pics I've seen, but the geometry and the length are the same. Support rods holding the micas are also identical to my eyes. One has to test match quads of EH (black base) against the Tungsol to find out if there's sonic difference between them.

Thanks!

Has anyone tried JJ's or Shuguangs?

I really like the JJ ECC88 and 12AX7, but don't know if their version of the 6SN7 is worthy.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #67 of 3,233

That Chrome Looking stuff is the Getter. http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Matching-and-other-tube-info/Blue-Glow

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #68 of 3,233
Excellent post and after listening to the new Production Tung Sol's ,I agree with you here. How do you find the noise levels
on the 5692 tubes? I do some nearfield listening with Genelecs and was wondering about this. 

The RCA 5692s had very little noise or hiss. It was there but very quiet. The Tung Sols were also very low. Stock tubes and surprisingly the CBS tubes were both high (I think one of the CBS tubes might be going bad which might explain part of that). RCA black base were moderate to low in my opinion.

I ordered a matched sextet new production Tung Sol (gives me a spare quad and a pair for matching with my exotic pairs). Feeling pretty good about putting some hours on Freya now :)

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #69 of 3,233
I have some noise coming only from the left speaker in tube mode on the Freya . I'm using all balanced cables . It's weird . It comes and goes . If I lift the Freya and move it around a little i can make it go away . Maybe power cables to close to one another ?
This is not ground loop .
Any suggestions ?
Sometimes when I start the Freya up and it's ready I can hear the noise and then sometimes when I start it up the noise is not there .

I have some balanced cables that are very nice sounding, but not shielded... causes a problem when I use some tube gear (I do not have a Freya yet...)

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #70 of 3,233
Wholleeeeeeeeeee Schiit!!!.............  I just checked eBay for prices on 5692 tubes.  A hundred and over each!!!!  Even 6SN7s are getting tough to get.  I can't believe what all of you Schiitheads are doing to the market!!

Here is a story that now hurts me every time I think about it.

I grew up 6 miles from RCA Missile and Surface Radar Division in Moorestown NJ.

I remember RCA red base tubes for sale at the flea market in Berlin NJ all through my childhood. There were always lots of tubes, but I remember the red bases because they stood out.

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #71 of 3,233
To answer that I'll give a rundown of what I've listened to and how they sound on Freya. First of all, to my ears matched quads sound better than using the stock tubes for output and swapping out the input. With that said there are several tubes that I only have two of, so I have no choice.

I hope this helps. My recommendation (and what I'm going to do) is to purchase a matched new production Tung Sol quad for regular/daily use (which I already have) and a matched pair for the output buffers (which I need to order). I do feel like the stock tubes are effecting my NOS tubes in a negative way acoustically so trading them for the new production Tung Sols makes a ton of sense.

Can you tell me how many hours you had on each set of tubes while doing your listing and comparisons?

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #72 of 3,233
Here is a story that now hurts me every time I think about it.

I grew up 6 miles from RCA Missile and Surface Radar Division in Moorestown NJ.

I remember RCA red base tubes for sale at the flea market in Berlin NJ all through my childhood. There were always lots of tubes, but I remember the red bases because they stood out.

Now we just need a time machine and a big trunk to head back in time and scoop these up. On the Way back to Present day we will make a quick stop in the early 80's to buy some apple stock too and another in the 90's and put a stop to what would become Modern Recording practices. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #73 of 3,233
  Now we just need a time machine and a big trunk to head back in time and scoop these up. On the Way back to Present day we will make a quick stop in the early 80's to buy some apple stock too and another in the 90's and put a stop to what would become Modern Recording practices. 

Stop Facebook, too, please.  Oh, and stop in the 70s and give them some 88/24 equipment.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #74 of 3,233
Got my Freya today to use with Gumby and Genelec monitors. Was dissapointed in the amount of noise coming from the right speaker (or was it the left? Can't remember now) until I swapped the upper right and left tubes. Now I get an intermittent ringing noise that seems to go away if you gently tap the tubes. Maybe I have a bad tube. This is my first tube gear so I'm learning new things. I ordered a new set of matched Tung Sols to try out.

Was also going to stack Freya on Gumby, but the heat from Freya concerns me a bit. Maybe I should find something to use as a spacer. Anyone else stacking?

Besides dealing with a noisey tube, I'm happy with the purchase. My music sounds really good.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #75 of 3,233
Can you tell me how many hours you had on each set of tubes while doing your listing and comparisons?

Not much, I would say about an hour on the exotics and between 15-20 hours on the stock and Tung Sol tubes. I know break-in time is a factor so things might change to my ears as things break in more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back