Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jan 14, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #16 of 3,234
MMM...glad to read all of this regarding Freya...NOW,...if they could only design/manufacture a version of Freya that, (without adversely affecting sound quality), would deactivate the active tube section when one simply wanted to NOT actively listen to it...selecting passive or solid-state active mode, for background and/or sleep-time listening...I would be clicking the order button as soon as I finished this note, if not before writing it...

Thank you gentlemen, (and any women out there as well), one and all, for providing your perceptions regarding Freya, and please continue to express your perceptions/opinions as the tubes burn-in/the circuitry in general burns in...it fuels MY obsession as well!...  :)  ...lol...

Wondering how Vidar, (or a pair of them), might work with my Lipinski Sound L-707 monitors, (4 Ohm rated), as my venerable Aragon 4004 is getting rather long in the tooth, is in all probability the source of a low to moderate level and audible 60 Hz. hum in the right channel...and if it is too old to be repairable might have to be replaced...  :frowning2:  ...

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 3,234
I have a Freya in my system that was making noise slightly in Jfet mode and more in Tube mode. Changing between stock, NOS RCA black base, and NOS Sylvania GTB had varying effects on the noise situation. Finally, the next day I narrowed it down to a dimmer switch in the kitchen... Much quieter with the dimmer switched completely off

I can't wait to try the 6SN7 LISST when they become available.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #18 of 3,234
  I have a Freya in my system that was making noise slightly in Jfet mode and more in Tube mode. Changing between stock, NOS RCA black base, and NOS Sylvania GTB had varying effects on the noise situation. Finally, the next day I narrowed it down to a dimmer switch in the kitchen... Much quieter with the dimmer switched completely off

Hmmm...

Are you sure they are going to produce/provide LISST's for this tube...Freya...?...if I absolutely knew it would be true, and roughly WHEN the LISST's would be available, I would click the order button right now...
Incidentally, how would one KNOW if a LISST version of the 6SN7 would be available...?...

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #20 of 3,234
Jason said so in "his book thread."

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #21 of 3,234
I have some noise coming only from the left speaker in tube mode on the Freya . I'm using all balanced cables . It's weird . It comes and goes . If I lift the Freya and move it around a little i can make it go away . Maybe power cables to close to one another ?
This is not ground loop .
Any suggestions ?
Sometimes when I start the Freya up and it's ready I can hear the noise and then sometimes when I start it up the noise is not there .

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #22 of 3,234
I have been listening to freya this weekend. My system is bimby as dac, bryston 4b3 for amp and dynaudio focus 380 for speakers. I am using all single end for now. Freya opened up sound in my system so much. I use the tube mode the most with stock tubes. Everything is better, Soundstage, imaging, timber, and etc. Instruments sound more natural and real. I do notice minor crackling noise from left speaker in tube mode time to time, but it does not bother me so much. But so far, freya is a keeper. Also, i don't mind the remote at all. I actually wouldn't want to spend more money for over engineered remote. Looking to get gumby and setup balanced connection in near future.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #23 of 3,234
Jason said so in "his book thread."

bigsmile_face.gif
  Cool!!! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Thank you for letting me know!...Now, just a matter of knowing when those LISST's are going to be available, (assuming that they sound good/are quiet and so forth...), and just possibly if that "magic circuit" I keep dreaming about can be designed/installed in a Freya iteration... 
wink_face.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #24 of 3,234
  Wondering how Vidar, (or a pair of them), might work with my Lipinski Sound L-707 monitors, (4 Ohm rated), as my venerable Aragon 4004 is getting rather long in the tooth, is in all probability the source of a low to moderate level and audible 60 Hz. hum in the right channel...and if it is too old to be repairable might have to be replaced...  :frowning2:  ...

The Aragon 4004 is a great sounding amp, and would match very nicely with a Freya. If you do need to replace it, a Vidar will drive your speakers well. Of course, if you have a large room and like to play your music at concert levels, you'll want a pair of Vidars.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #25 of 3,234
Yes...I certainly cannot disagree...and wondering how the two amps would compare, sonically speaking...as well as if a pair of Vidar's, in "balanced/bridged-mode", would handle the listed 4 Ohm impedance load of the Lipinski L-707 monitors...?...I keep reading that in balanced/bridged-mode, the Vidars may not be able to handle 4 Ohm speakers...  :frowning2:  ...

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #26 of 3,234
I have some noise coming only from the left speaker in tube mode on the Freya . I'm using all balanced cables . It's weird . It comes and goes . If I lift the Freya and move it around a little i can make it go away . Maybe power cables to close to one another ?
This is not ground loop .
Any suggestions ?
Sometimes when I start the Freya up and it's ready I can hear the noise and then sometimes when I start it up the noise is not there .

​I'm guessing you have a noisy tube. Don't worry, tubes are a curious bunch of creatures, maybe its responding to being jostled around a bit when you move it. I had a noisy tube once that a little tap would fix. It probably sounds scratchy and erratic when it comes and goes rather than the constant faint or not so faint white noise hiss that is likely present if you get up close to the speaker's tweeters? I had that noise fully balanced also on mine. I put in my better tubes and dead silent from a foot away. Some day I'll figure out which one was the culprit. If you don't have any other tubes on hand you could try moving the front ones back and the back ones front, that will put the pairs in the opposite channel, and if the noise is now on the right side it will put your mind at ease if you're curious. Now you're down to likely one of those two being the guilty party. Then you could swap the input with the follower of those two and that might make it go away or be less assuming one tube is responsible.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #28 of 3,234

​I'm guessing you have a noisy tube. Don't worry, tubes are a curious bunch of creatures, maybe its responding to being jostled around a bit when you move it. I had a noisy tube once that a little tap would fix. It probably sounds scratchy and erratic when it comes and goes rather than the constant faint or not so faint white noise hiss that is likely present if you get up close to the speaker's tweeters? I had that noise fully balanced also on mine. I put in my better tubes and dead silent from a foot away. Some day I'll figure out which one was the culprit. If you don't have any other tubes on hand you could try moving the front ones back and the back ones front, that will put the pairs in the opposite channel, and if the noise is now on the right side it will put your mind at ease if you're curious. Now you're down to likely one of those two being the guilty party. Then you could swap the input with the follower of those two and that might make it go away or be less assuming one tube is responsible.

Thanks for the advice. I moved the two tubes in front to the back and the back to the front and not the noise is coming from the right speaker and not the left one. 

These are brand new tung sols as i replaced the stock tubes. 

So maybe i have a bad tube. I know tubes can be noisy,I have a Rogue tube amp. 

The noise happens intermittently .

So are the front tubes on the Freya the right or left side ?

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #29 of 3,234
As I understand it, signal goes through the right side tubes first as an amplification stage and then the left side tubes as an output buffer.

Anyone considering buying an isolation transformer for the freya?  You can get a small one for ~$150.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #30 of 3,234
  As I understand it, signal goes through the right side tubes first as an amplification stage and then the left side tubes as an output buffer.

Anyone considering buying an isolation transformer for the freya?  You can get a small one for ~$150.

I use a Tripp-Lite IS500HG for my Freya, Gungir, phono preamp, and WA6. I haven't tried Freya without it -- I need the isolation transformer for the WA6 due to some interference with the home theater setup that's on the same circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back