Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #3,181 of 3,234
Is the Valhalla 2 for $299 a good enough deal that I should grab one at this price, and then start looking for some compatible headphones? I have a decent system overall, but have not delved into the headphone world yet. The only pair I have now are JBL Everest Elite 750's which are my wife's, I would definitely like something better but not crazy to start with.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #3,182 of 3,234
Is the Valhalla 2 for $299 a good enough deal that I should grab one at this price, and then start looking for some compatible headphones? I have a decent system overall, but have not delved into the headphone world yet. The only pair I have now are JBL Everest Elite 750's which are my wife's, I would definitely like something better but not crazy to start with.

I was researching Valhalla and the Freya +, from my research if you are using external speakers the freya is a good choice. But if budget is a concern the valhalla can be used as a preout and headphone out. It really depends, I hear some headphones sound good with it others not so much.

Depends on pairing, from my understanding the Valhalla has a clean sound with default tubes and not as thick warm that you would expect. Also in the comments above I found out it is discontinued and another possible valhalla 3 may be in production.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #3,183 of 3,234
I was researching Valhalla and the Freya +, from my research if you are using external speakers the freya is a good choice. But if budget is a concern the valhalla can be used as a preout and headphone out. It really depends, I hear some headphones sound good with it others not so much.

Depends on pairing, from my understanding the Valhalla has a clean sound with default tubes and not as thick warm that you would expect. Also in the comments above I found out it is discontinued and another possible valhalla 3 may be in production.
Thanks for the info! I was looking at a YouTube video and the guy said it's good for a desktop setup. I was thinking of something I could run through my full stereo system so I could listen to records with it. I got the impression that's not the way it works, or is designed to at least. I don't know if it's possible, or if other headphone amps would be better suited to that setup? There is no headphone output on my preamp, it's a Freya+.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #3,184 of 3,234
Thanks for the info! I was looking at a YouTube video and the guy said it's good for a desktop setup. I was thinking of something I could run through my full stereo system so I could listen to records with it. I got the impression that's not the way it works, or is designed to at least. I don't know if it's possible, or if other headphone amps would be better suited to that setup? There is no headphone output on my preamp, it's a Freya+.

If you have a freya then maybe use the headphone output on the amplifier. If its not good then maybe a decent headphone amp or dac from schiit or RME or eversolo within budget of course. I was thinking about this as well.

I did not want a tube preout into the stereo amp stage then another tube headphone amp into headphones. I wanted one tube signature and decided that would be the one freya when i get one. Just depends on your setup.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #3,185 of 3,234
You absolutely can use it that way, the Valhalla 2 would simply be an amplifier connected to one of the SE outs on the back of the Freya+ and you're off to the races, sort of ...
- All Freya+ outs are active at the same time, so while in headphone listening mode you'd want to make sure that your speaker amps are not powered on
- You'll be dealing with 2x volume pots, the Freya+ and the Valhalla 2, generally you set one to about 90% and then use the other to set your listening level - be careful here as it's possible to make very sad ears/headphones/speakers if both pots get cranked up

Normally I'd suggest starting with a solid state headphone amp as your first amp, but you have a Freya+ so you should be comfortable with the pleasure and pain of tubes already

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #3,186 of 3,234
You absolutely can use it that way, the Valhalla 2 would simply be an amplifier connected to one of the SE outs on the back of the Freya+ and you're off to the races, sort of ...
- All Freya+ outs are active at the same time, so while in headphone listening mode you'd want to make sure that your speaker amps are not powered on
- You'll be dealing with 2x volume pots, the Freya+ and the Valhalla 2, generally you set one to about 90% and then use the other to set your listening level - be careful here as it's possible to make very sad ears/headphones/speakers if both pots get cranked up

Normally I'd suggest starting with a solid state headphone amp as your first amp, but you have a Freya+ so you should be comfortable with the pleasure and pain of tubes already
That is what I was hoping for! I don't mind dealing with more tubes, actually I have a Pro-Ject Tube box phono pre-amp also. My power amp is a vintage Threshold Cas 1, it's an older Nelson Pass design with just an on/off switch and one pair of outputs for speakers. It sounds like I would just leave the Threshold power amp for the speakers off since the Valhalla 2 would become my power amp when using headphones.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #3,187 of 3,234
That is what I was hoping for! I don't mind dealing with more tubes, actually I have a Pro-Ject Tube box phono pre-amp also. My power amp is a vintage Threshold Cas 1, it's an older Nelson Pass design with just an on/off switch and one pair of outputs for speakers. It sounds like I would just leave the Threshold power amp for the speakers off since the Valhalla 2 would become my power amp when using headphones.
Exactly!
You'll still need to navigate 2x volume pots, but it becomes habit quick enough. The Freya+ having a remote may make this an easy decision depending on distance and orientation of your headphone setup from the Freya+.
I've found that the Valhalla 2 plays nice with both low and high impedance headphones which is somewhat unusual for an OTL amp.
And when you get to it you can roll the 2 front 6N1P input tubes to tailor it to your preferred sound (6DJ8, E88CC, 6922, 6BZ7, adapted other tubes as well).
The 2 rear 6N6P output tubes haven't been worth rolling in my experience, not too many options there.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #3,188 of 3,234
Exactly!
You'll still need to navigate 2x volume pots, but it becomes habit quick enough. The Freya+ having a remote may make this an easy decision depending on distance and orientation of your headphone setup from the Freya+.
I've found that the Valhalla 2 plays nice with both low and high impedance headphones which is somewhat unusual for an OTL amp.
And when you get to it you can roll the 2 front 6N1P input tubes to tailor it to your preferred sound (6DJ8, E88CC, 6922, 6BZ7, adapted other tubes as well).
The 2 rear 6N6P output tubes haven't been worth rolling in my experience, not too many options there.
Whats the best tubes to upgrade for the warmest signature? or not possible as much on the valhalla

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #3,191 of 3,234
Has anyone had experience with the Sylvania 6CG7 black ladder plates? Saw some on eBay and was thinking of trying them out, but would like some preliminary impressions if possible. Thanks and happy listening :gs1000smile:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #3,193 of 3,234
Purely cosmetic question here, does anyone know if the newer production Freya+ have different butons and knobs from the previous years?
looks like the knobs are now matt dull looking from the silver ones they had previously.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #3,194 of 3,234
I got my Freya+ around 2 years ago and it's black with the matt looking silver knobs. I just looked at the pics on the Schiit site, and the more shiny looking silver knobs they show on the all silver Freya+ are not like mine. Not sure if it's different depending on you ordering black or silver Freya+?

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #3,195 of 3,234
I got my Freya+ around 2 years ago and it's black with the matt looking silver knobs. I just looked at the pics on the Schiit site, and the more shiny looking silver knobs they show on the all silver Freya+ are not like mine. Not sure if it's different depending on you ordering black or silver Freya+?

Its the silver version, but the buttons are matt dull. My ACD is kicking in because its not matching my other schiit gear lol. Looks cheaper. I never took to the black versions, if i did i would want it black on black maybe textured black knobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back