Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Feb 17, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #3,166 of 3,234
Thanks, very good idea, i will try it.
I already have ordered and waiting for 2 x Shuagang CV181-Z and 2 x Linlai E-6SN7.
Hello, i have a Freya+ with 4 x Tung-Sol 6SN7.
To improve the sound i got two Psvane CV181-T-MII.
I installed them in the gain stage (right).
But i have noticeable, distracting hiss that was constant regardless of volume. It didn't seem to improve with burn in.
The Tung-Sol are 100% quiet.
I really love the sound of the CV181 except the hiss in silent moments.
What can i do?
May install 4 of these Psvane CV181...
Or try other tubes? Which sounds equal but without the hiss?
Maybe Shuguang CV181 ?
Thanks for help.
I have seen that many users have found good improvements in terms of sound quality by changing the left pair (buffers) to Shuagang CV181-Z or Psvane CV181-T-MII valves instead of the excellent Tung-Sol 6SN7. I don't seem to have seen that there are NOS tubes that on the left pair (Buffers) work as well if not better, while the NOS 6SN7s seem to work very well on the right section (Gain), where I also use RCA 6SN7s NOS

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #3,167 of 3,234
I returned the PSVANE CV181 and ordered two new ones in the hope that they would make less noise.
I also ordered two PSVANE 6SN7-SE GLOBE and two Shuguang CV181-Z.
My impressions in GAIN-section:
Shuguang CV181-Z
Very pleasant highs, good bass, stage is bigger and i feel a little distance to it, hard to explain
PSVANE CV181-T
As expected, very detailed, close and emotional, but again with a little hiss in muting or silent moments.
PSVANE 6SN7-SE GLOBE
Very similar to the CV181-T but noticeable more dynamic and lively

I heard all tubes many times in all combinations.
But everytime i hear this combination it catches me:
GAIN: PSVANE 6SN7-SE GLOBE
BUFFER: Shuguang CV181-Z

So, this is my clearly winner. And also it looks nice.
PXL_20240218_221041661.jpg

PXL_20240218_221230347.jpg

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #3,168 of 3,234
I returned the PSVANE CV181 and ordered two new ones in the hope that they would make less noise.
I also ordered two PSVANE 6SN7-SE GLOBE and two Shuguang CV181-Z.
My impressions in GAIN-section:
Shuguang CV181-Z
Very pleasant highs, good bass, stage is bigger and i feel a little distance to it, hard to explain
PSVANE CV181-T
As expected, very detailed, close and emotional, but again with a little hiss in muting or silent moments.
PSVANE 6SN7-SE GLOBE
Very similar to the CV181-T but noticeable more dynamic and lively

I heard all tubes many times in all combinations.
But everytime i hear this combination it catches me:
GAIN: PSVANE 6SN7-SE GLOBE
BUFFER: Shuguang CV181-Z

So, this is my clearly winner. And also it looks nice.

Seeing that volume pot at 3pm makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up waiting for the impending sonic boom!!

I then realized that you're pre-amping the Burson (which has it's own volume pot) and could breathe a bit easier again :beyersmile:
Excellent setup, congrats, and enjoy!!

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #3,169 of 3,234
Has anyone listened to the Freya with amplified speakers? or passive only?
I am looking for a used silver one for purchase but wondering can it be used with non passive speakers.

Thanks

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #3,170 of 3,234
Has anyone listened to the Freya with amplified speakers? or passive only?
I am looking for a used silver one for purchase but wondering can it be used with non passive speakers.
I haven't tried it with a Freya. My Saga S is connected to powered monitors and it works fine. As long as your powered speakers have normal balanced or single-ended inputs (usually XLR, 1/4-inch TRS, or RCA), then it would be normal and straightforward to connect them to the same type of output from the Freya. Fundamentally, powered speakers are passive speakers that have power amplifiers onboard, so there's nothing special or different about sending Freya's line output to them.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #3,171 of 3,234
I haven't tried it with a Freya. My Saga S is connected to powered monitors and it works fine. As long as your powered speakers have normal balanced or single-ended inputs (usually XLR, 1/4-inch TRS, or RCA), then it would be normal and straightforward to connect them to the same type of output from the Freya. Fundamentally, powered speakers are passive speakers that have power amplifiers onboard, so there's nothing special or different about sending Freya's line output to them.

Thanks for the info. Have been trying to decide on the Freya and the Valhalla. The Valhalla has a preout and headphone output but the freya does not have headphone out.
I have heard good things about the Freya, I wonder how much a difference is it from the Valhalla.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #3,172 of 3,234
Thanks for the info. Have been trying to decide on the Freya and the Valhalla. The Valhalla has a preout and headphone output but the freya does not have headphone out.
I have heard good things about the Freya, I wonder how much a difference is it from the Valhalla.
Disregard. Kara has the headphone out. But Kara and freya s are non-tube

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #3,175 of 3,234
:slight_frown: Was looking on Schiit site is the Valhalla discontinued? Will the Freya be discontinued?
Valhalla 2 is on its way out, but is currently at a great price. Valhalla 3 is coming soonish (probably summer) but will likely be $399 or higher. Freya s was discontinued and Kara replaced that. Freya N was also discontinued. But Freya Plus isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #3,176 of 3,234
Valhalla 2 is on its way out, but is currently at a great price. Valhalla 3 is coming soon, but will likely be $399 or higher. Freya s was discontinued and Kara replaced that. Freya N was also discontinued. But Freya Plus isn't going anywhere.

That explains it then. I guess for now I should just look for a Freya Plus moving forward.

Thanks for the help and info.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #3,177 of 3,234
That explains it then. I guess for now I should just look for a Freya Plus moving forward.

Thanks for the help and info.
Can't go wrong with Freya Plus. I have the Freya N and it was a steal at $599.

Just saw this pop up on USaudiomart.

Freya N

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #3,179 of 3,234
Not a bad find, too bad its black. Looking to match my silver components. Good price, browsing the classified to see if anyone selling one here.
Thanks for the lookout.
oh sorry. Then freya N is not an option. They only came in black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back