Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Sep 2, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #3,061 of 3,260
Reaching out while I wait for Schiit support to respond, but has anyone ever had a Freya+ simply not heat up/light up its tubes when the tube stage is engaged? I got a Freya+ second hand with JJ tubes and have been trying to find a post somewhere where anyone experiences the same issue, but haven’t been able to. Passive and buffer mode works fine, but after switching to the tube stage and waiting for the front panel light to stop blinking, none of the tubes light up, and there’s no sound. I have two Sylvania tubes I got ahead of getting the Freya but those haven’t helped, neither has swapping around the JJ tubes. Source is a Less Is More balanced out, then single ended out from the Freya to an Eddie Current Studio B. Anyone have any ideas? If the problem was the JJ tubes were dead, I’d imagine some of them might light up, right? Usually dying tubes, in my experience, don’t just completely not light up, so that seemed unlikely to me to be the problem.

Good news is that I like the buffer stage/mode. Nice flavor to play around with so I can bypass the Studio B’s meh pot.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #3,062 of 3,260
Reaching out while I wait for Schiit support to respond, but has anyone ever had a Freya+ simply not heat up/light up its tubes when the tube stage is engaged? I got a Freya+ second hand with JJ tubes and have been trying to find a post somewhere where anyone experiences the same issue, but haven’t been able to. Passive and buffer mode works fine, but after switching to the tube stage and waiting for the front panel light to stop blinking, none of the tubes light up, and there’s no sound. I have two Sylvania tubes I got ahead of getting the Freya but those haven’t helped, neither has swapping around the JJ tubes. Source is a Less Is More balanced out, then single ended out from the Freya to an Eddie Current Studio B. Anyone have any ideas? If the problem was the JJ tubes were dead, I’d imagine some of them might light up, right? Usually dying tubes, in my experience, don’t just completely not light up, so that seemed unlikely to me to be the problem.

Good news is that I like the buffer stage/mode. Nice flavor to play around with so I can bypass the Studio B’s meh pot.
My guess is something wrong with the heaters. If you have switched out tubes with known working tubes, but everything else works, then the heaters aren’t firing up. That’s about all the trouble shooting you can do. I’d reach out to the seller, was it working properly? Or get damaged in shipping? Maybe you can get some money back. Otherwise it’s probably got to go back for warranty work. Sorry

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #3,063 of 3,260
I had somewhat of a similar situation on a Freya N (not the plus), but it was due to my 12au7 adapters not seated fully in. Once I put them in tight, the tubes started to heat up and glow.

Double check the tubes are inserted snuggly. Also check the pins are not dirty. If that doesn't work out, see if you can, buy or borrow some tubes that you know work, and try them on the Freya+ just to rule out bad tubes. Good luck.

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #3,064 of 3,260
I have not heard Vidar 2 but Aegir is much sweeter and more detailed than Vidar 1.

I like Freya N and Aegir better than Pass X1 and X150
Which X150 variety and in which ways do u think its better - thanks

Oct 7, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #3,065 of 3,260
I wanted to check if anyone knows that if I wanted to run a Freya S with an external DC supply, would I need one rail or two or more? If so, what voltages would those be? Will it be easy to find the entry points for these DC supplies?

If anyone has, could you please share a clear picture of the inside of Freya S?

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #3,066 of 3,260
I'm looking for advice from Freya+ and fellow tube rollers. My Freya+ popped and went dark a few weeks ago, it was less than 2 years old so I sent it to Schiit under warranty. They fixed it in one week and returned it, so I'm impressed! The transformer had blown so that leads to my questions. Could my vintage tubes have had anything to do with that? They are some very nice Raytheon brown base 6SN7's I use on the right side, and some 60's Sylvanias on the left from my most trusted seller, and they don't have many hours since I only can listen a few hours a week. I don't have a tester and after trying several matched pairs, I really love this set and wanted to put them back in. Should I avoid them in case one of them is going bad, or invest in a tube tester? I know nothing about tube testing equipment, which can be pricey to get into. Thanks for any advice you can share!

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #3,067 of 3,260
I'm looking for advice from Freya+ and fellow tube rollers. My Freya+ popped and went dark a few weeks ago, it was less than 2 years old so I sent it to Schiit under warranty. They fixed it in one week and returned it, so I'm impressed! The transformer had blown so that leads to my questions. Could my vintage tubes have had anything to do with that? They are some very nice Raytheon brown base 6SN7's I use on the right side, and some 60's Sylvanias on the left from my most trusted seller, and they don't have many hours since I only can listen a few hours a week. I don't have a tester and after trying several matched pairs, I really love this set and wanted to put them back in. Should I avoid them in case one of them is going bad, or invest in a tube tester? I know nothing about tube testing equipment, which can be pricey to get into. Thanks for any advice you can share!
Try re-posting on the main Schiit thread,

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...lds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-8671

where there a few tube guys (some in Ga) that might be able to advise / test those 6SN7 for you

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #3,072 of 3,260
I've been enjoying the Freya N and with tube rolling so insane these days, I feel fortunate in finding a Japanese set of 6CG7's that have an excellent blend of warmth and vividness.
Which tubes did you get? I picked up some Raytheons, made in Japan and they sound fantastic in the Freya N.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #3,073 of 3,260
Thanks for the advice, I will repost it on the main Freya+ page and see if there is anyone in GA who can test my tubes. I've never tried anything except 6SN6 or 6SL7 tubes since those are what the owners manual said were correct. I know they were testing at NOS levels when I bought them, they came from my most trusted ebay tube seller BULLZ TUBEZ. I don't get much free time to listen to music, so I probably have put a little over 100 hours on them max.

Nov 6, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #3,075 of 3,260
Tubes.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back