Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Aug 17, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #3,046 of 3,260
You guys heard about Kara it just dropped to replace the freya s
With a 6.35mm headphone jack

And an even more confusing description of the balanced output voltage ...
- From Schiit's Kara page:
But Kara’s +/-32V rails are insanely over the top, giving it the capability of swinging near 100V on the differential output, and contributing to the best-performing, best-measuring preamp we’ve ever made—near -120dB THD+N from balanced.

I've always assumed (naively perhaps) that SE is +/- 2V and Balanced is +/- 4V (give or take) ... :thinking:

Aug 17, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #3,047 of 3,260
Aug 19, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #3,049 of 3,260
Anyone know if you can run lisst in one stage and normal tubes in another? also i asked on a live stream if you can use 12au7 with an adapter which was yes but does that mean all 4 have to be 12au7 or the other 2 be lisst/ normal 6sn7?
LISSTs work fine on a Freya+ in either/both gain and output stages. Can't speak to your second question.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #3,050 of 3,260
Anyone know if you can run lisst in one stage and normal tubes in another? also i asked on a live stream if you can use 12au7 with an adapter which was yes but does that mean all 4 have to be 12au7 or the other 2 be lisst/ normal 6sn7?
20230819_112429.jpg

Yup 🙂

Used to run 12at7s as followers w no problem.

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #3,051 of 3,260
Been away for a week or so, just got back and popped in 4 6CG7's, two RCA clear tops and two Silvertone brand 6CG7's...
Clear tops in left side, Silvertones in right side.

Really decent sound...

Also fyi...having a Schiit meet in Central NC, near Raleigh, in Pittsboro 35 min from airport.
Jason will be there!!

Please join us if u can..

Alex
:>)

Aug 25, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #3,052 of 3,260
I picked up a Freya N recently and rolled a few tubes. Still learning but this is my experience so far:

The stock 6N1P (600ma) tubes are very good. They have a lot of upper mid detail and are very clear. I could stick with these, but they lack somewhat in the low end.

I tried a pair of 6JD8 / ECC88 Bugle Boys (350ma) in the input stage. I'm still not sure I hear a difference, so I am letting them burn in more and listening. Will swap back to the 6N1Ps soon to see if my ears can pick up the difference.

I tried a pair of 6N6P (750ma) in both the output and input stages. Output had a noticeable lack of detail. Input was much less clear. I expected these to be punchy, but they were not punchy. Probably need a lot more burn-in time, but on initial impression, these didn't do the music any service.

The Freya N feeds a Yamaha PC2002M and PC1002 out to modern KLH Model 5s and Paradigm Mk5se, via balanced xlr.

I'd like more punch in the low end but not sure what to try next. Anyone have a similar experience?

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #3,053 of 3,260
Great choice. Congrats on the Freya N!
Everyone hears things differently, so YMMV.
This mini-review was earlier on when I first received the Freya N.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...-and-tube-rolling-thread.832177/post-17489117

Since then, I have picked up a set of 1973 Sylvania Jan 7308, 1975 6n23p Voskhod Rockets gray shields, some more 1979 Voskhod Rocket silver shields, and I am waiting for some 1974 6n23P gray shield Reflectors.
I am very partial to the detail and sweetness of the Voskhods. The 1979's are just way underrated and a bang for the buck tube. They have more punch than some of the other year V's. The Jans seem to punch out the top end and are very detailed, but I think they lack " sweetness " in the midrange."

The 1975 V's are off-the-chart expensive. I took a chance on a cheaper set and lucked out, but they sound richer to me all around, and the low-level sound detail and separation are where they shine.
We were not talking night and day difference, but IMHO like going from a Jameson's to a Red Breast. They both are great but the latter has more low-level detail and a much better finish.

So basically I would recommend some Voskhods to add to your collection. I think some of the early 70s can be had fairly cheap and sound pretty decent all around.

I can't afford some of the prices of the purported "Holy Grail" tubes, so others who have them will hopefully be able to give you an honest opinion.
Good luck in the search. And it's easy to go down the rabbit hole and not always easy to get out. : )

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #3,055 of 3,260
Has anyone used LISST tubes with Freya+ purchased a while ago (like 2+ years ago)? I tried to ask this question on the ShiitTalker AI engine and got this:

Hey there! Thanks for reaching out. LISST SS tube replacements are specifically designed for the newer versions of Freya+ and other Schiit devices. While they may work in older versions of Freya+, there are no guarantees. It's always best to stick with the tubes specified for your specific device. If you have any other questions about Schiit, feel free to ask!

For those with experience using these, how does it compare to the original JJ tubes? Warmer, sharper, etc.?

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #3,056 of 3,260
On a happier note, I am expecting a new power amp to pair up with my Freya N. Just picked up a Hypex NCore NC252MP based amplifier. Anxious to try one of these modern Class D designs. I've only ever had Class A/B amps. On paper the pairing of a tubed pre-amp with a Class D amp seems like a match made in heaven. We shall see.
What's the word on the Hypex NCore NC252MP? How is it paring up with your Freya? I've been wondering how newer class D amps pair up with tube preamps.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #3,057 of 3,260
I tried a pair of 6N6P (750ma) in both the output and input stages. Output had a noticeable lack of detail. Input was much less clear. I expected these to be punchy, but they were not punchy. Probably need a lot more burn-in time, but on initial impression, these didn't do the music any service.

The Freya N feeds a Yamaha PC2002M and PC1002 out to modern KLH Model 5s and Paradigm Mk5se, via balanced xlr.

I'd like more punch in the low end but not sure what to try next. Anyone have a similar experience?
Apologies if I'm not reading this correctly, but are you saying you tried 4 6N6P tubes at the same time? My understanding is you're not supposed to do that because that is too high total heater current for this pre-amp. You want the total heater current to be between 2.1 to 2.4 Amps.

I just picked up a pair of KLH Model 5's on the used market locally last night. It's still early but so far so good. A couple of reviews mentioned good synergy with Yamaha integrated amps like the A-S1200 so I'm sure your Yamaha power amps sound great.

Not sure about which tubes would sound more "punchy" for you. I tried Amperex 6DJ8 "Bugle Boys" and found they didn't really do it for me. I much prefer the 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes I've tried (RCA "Clear Top" and Raytheon Japan)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #3,058 of 3,260
What's the word on the Hypex NCore NC252MP? How is it paring up with your Freya? I've been wondering how newer class D amps pair up with tube preamps.

I have the Freya+ with the Peachtree Gan400. Great imaging and dynamic sound. Some may find the combination lean (because of their speed, they are not thin sounding like cheap class D amps) if they are used to the thicker class AB sound. Add a sub if you prefer a thicker bass.

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #3,059 of 3,260
I like it so far. I have the Audiophonics built version:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...tereo-ncore-nc252mp-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14185.html

But you have to know what you're getting yourself into. It's basically an amp with no character of its own.

I've heard the reputation that Class D amps traditionally can be sterile or thin sounding, but this amp just sounds neutral. In other words, it sounds like my source and pre-amp. Compared to my Denon PMA-2000IVR (Class A/B), it sounds more resolving/clear and less warm/weighty in the bottom end and lower midrange.

I like that it's really efficient and small, doesn't get hot, and can push hard to drive speakers (I have Magnepans).

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #3,060 of 3,260
Apologies if I'm not reading this correctly, but are you saying you tried 4 6N6P tubes at the same time?
I wasn't clear in my post, but no just one stage at a time. I only have one pair. High current 6N6Ps with the low current ecc88s. Dynamic range suffered with those tubes.

Enjoy those KLHs. What I like about them is their detail. Human voice, drums, guitars all come across as 'live' to me from those speakers. I could use more bottom end but I think that would affect the clarity, so I am going to add a sub.

At 6 ohms the KLH like to have some extra power at hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back