Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #1,231 of 1,501
I finally sent my FV back to the Schiitr, and just hooked it back up and all is well. The repair tracking sheet noted that the tube heater connector had melted. They replaced the heater connector (soldered to the board) and interestingly, it also says they deleted the Molex connection.

I'm super happy to have the FV back - I was using my Valhalla for tubes while the FV was in for repair, and while I used to love the Valhalla, it just doesn't cut it anymore after having the FV. I actually ended up listening primarily via the Jot while the FV was in for repair.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #1,232 of 1,501
Glad mine has been rock solid. I’ve got plans to get a Caldera for it and don’t relish sending the FV off for repairswhen I’ve got a TOTL headphone to try on it

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #1,233 of 1,501
Didn’t like the FV with planars though when I demoed it back then at Schiitr since it did run out of steam with my just the Aeon flow demo headphones Schiit had. Focal Clears though had really good synergy with it

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #1,234 of 1,501
I use my LCD-4 and even the Stealth with the Folkvangr. I think they pair well. No EQ though as the headroom adjustment is a little too much for the Folkvangr to overcome. At least at the volume levels I listen at.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,236 of 1,501
For those that have shipped their Folkvangr back for repairs. How did you package it securely. I unfortunately no longer have the original packaging.
I was in the same boat, as apparently, the wife had thrown it out. Nothing I did packing wise made me feel comfortable, so I actually ordered an empty FV box from Schiit so I had the appropriate packaging. I'm definitely making sure this second box sticks around just in case.

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #1,237 of 1,501
I was in the same boat, as apparently, the wife had thrown it out. Nothing I did packing wise made me feel comfortable, so I actually ordered an empty FV box from Schiit so I had the appropriate packaging. I'm definitely making sure this second box sticks around just in case.
I'll send them a question and see if I can get packaging from them. Thanks for the tip

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #1,239 of 1,501
Enjoying the Folkvangr tonight listening to Led Zeppelin, All my love. Life is great. Enjoy the music.

Attachments

• Folk.jpg
    Folk.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 30, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #1,240 of 1,501
Didn’t like the FV with planars though when I demoed it back then at Schiitr since it did run out of steam with my just the Aeon flow demo headphones Schiit had. Focal Clears though had really good synergy with it
My Aeon Flows also ran out of steam, but I was still impressed. As long as I kept the volume down they sounded fantastic.

The Aeons are low impedance and like high current. Not easy for tube amps to drive. I was pleasantly surprised when my AFC sounded pretty decent with the FV (low gain, impedance booster on).

The reason I bought the LCD-X was to see if a more sensitive, higher impedance planar would sound good and I’m happy to report that it does, but you know how it goes-it’s opened the door to the idea of a caldera.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #1,241 of 1,501
How much more "tubey" is the Folkvangr than Mjolnir 2?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #1,242 of 1,501
Night and day. The Folkvangr is basically the source<tubes<your ears. You really hear the difference between tubes.

May 2, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #1,243 of 1,501
Has anyone with a FV ordered a pair of the new ZMF Atrium Closed by chance?

May 2, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,245 of 1,501
I did. They haven't ship it yet.
I can honestly say I hope you get yours well before me so you can share your opinions on the pairing.

I‘m trying to decide what I should buy as my first real tube amp. As a Schiit fanboy, the FV has a lot of allure to me. That being said, the Quicksilver HPA and Feliks Audio Euphoria (and Echo Mk2) seem like good choices as well.

I did snag a Valhalla 2 on USAM for $250. Hopefully that will hold me over while I keep reading reviews and opinions on all these tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back