Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #1,202 of 1,488
Looks like my Folkvangr will be going back to Schiit for repair. 😥
Last week, one night when I turned it on, the tubes did not light up - it "clicked", so it powered on, but nope. I left it off for about 30 minutes, came back to it and all was well again.

Well today, back to no tube joy, so I'm guessing mine has the heater issue a few others have had. I know Schiit will take care of it, I just hope that I won't have this issue again down the line. I absolutely LOVE the amp though, so I'm willing to deal with it as it comes.

Roughly how many hours did you have on your Folkvangr when this occurred and what is its serial number? I'm wondering if this is a question not of if but of when.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #1,203 of 1,488
Roughly how many hours did you have on your Folkvangr when this occurred and what is its serial number? I'm wondering if this is a question not of if but of when.
I couldn't accurately say how many hours I've had on it honestly. It HAS been pretty much the only amp I have been using ever since I got it. Serial is 350026 - not sure where that puts me in line. I just checked, and I ordered it on 6/27. I would be curious to see if it seems to only be limited to a certain timeframe of production.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #1,204 of 1,488
I couldn't accurately say how many hours I've had on it honestly. It HAS been pretty much the only amp I have been using ever since I got it. Serial is 350026 - not sure where that puts me in line. I just checked, and I ordered it on 6/27. I would be curious to see if it seems to only be limited to a certain timeframe of production.
You’ve got #26…so you’re one of the earliest and still going strong . So that’s encouraging!! I’ve got 350070…

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,205 of 1,488
Well I tried something new with my Folkvangr last night. Tried the DCA Stealth and before the pitchforks come out, I didn’t expect it to pair well at all. I didn’t think the Folkvangr would have enough power as the Stealth are like 86db. Well much to my surprise they sounded pretty good.
Now this is with no EQ. I tried EQ with -4db headroom adjustment and that really effected the dynamics in the bass region. But with no EQ I would be perfectly happy with the combo.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #1,206 of 1,488
Well I tried something new with my Folkvangr last night. Tried the DCA Stealth and before the pitchforks come out, I didn’t expect it to pair well at all. I didn’t think the Folkvangr would have enough power as the Stealth are like 86db. Well much to my surprise they sounded pretty good.
Now this is with no EQ. I tried EQ with -4db headroom adjustment and that really effected the dynamics in the bass region. But with no EQ I would be perfectly happy with the combo.
I’m doing the same. High gain with impedance multiplier. It’s a surprisingly good combo.

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #1,207 of 1,488
I really need to find a set of Atriums.

Currently making do with me old Clears, HD8xxs and some weirdly beautiful-sounding Grado models I picked up on clearance at a local drum shop, but they sure do sing on the FV.

Btw, my mate's humming FV was traced down to sharing a power block with a cable box. Cable box moved, silence restored.
To my ears the FV + Clear sounds pretty good. The FV is a very musical amp and the Clear renders that musicality with detail, speed and without any hint of the slightly metallic character the Clear sometimes shows.

That said, I’m still impressed by my ZMF VC a year or two after first hearing it. Even though the Clear is a good headphone, an atrium will be a mammoth step up.

Mar 28, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #1,208 of 1,488
I spent some time last night with the LCD-4 and the Folkvangr. AC/DC was a real treat. I think it is the best planar pairing I have tried on the Folkvangr. Even better, to me, than the VO.

Apr 2, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #1,209 of 1,488
Just sat down to listen to the Folkvangr and the tubes will not light up and is not working. Serial number: 350202. Can not say how many hours on the amp. I do not use it everyday. I did use it yesterday for about 4 hours. Contacting Schiit tomorrow. I have a Schiit Nitsch Schiit Magni Piety to use currently.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,210 of 1,488
Just sat down to listen to the Folkvangr and the tubes will not light up and is not working. Serial number: 350202. Can not say how many hours on the amp. I do not use it everyday. I did use it yesterday for about 4 hours. Contacting Schiit tomorrow. I have a Schiit Nitsch Schiit Magni Piety to use currently.
Sorry to hear that. Was it resolved?
I'm wondering if we should preemptively ask Schiit whether sending a batch of units for preemptive fixing is a good idea.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #1,211 of 1,488
I'm wondering if we should preemptively ask Schiit whether sending a batch of units for preemptive fixing is a good idea.
Great idea. Let's also ask Ford to send out a bunch of cars preemptively in case there might be a warranty problem with some of them. Maybe Apple could send out a bunch of iPhones too. And this dang house I just moved into....definitely need a preemptive house.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #1,212 of 1,488
We bought a limited release product with a completely novel design and build. This was made by a boutique audio manufacturer. Unforeseen issues are not surprising. Schiit will fix them. If the problem is reproducible and consistent, I’m sure Jason will issue a recall of sorts.

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #1,213 of 1,488
Schiit currently has the amp. I shipped the amp off this past Monday (they are only 130 miles away from my location) and they received it on Tuesday. I received an email reply on Thursday stating, "
Now, give us a few days to have a look, do the repair, run it through the full battery of tests, and burn it in. When we're done, we'll send you the invoice with the service and possible replacement pieces. All the best, Schiit Audio".

I will post thier findings on the problem once they notify me.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #1,214 of 1,488
Maybe Apple could send out a bunch of iPhones too. And this dang house I just moved into....definitely need a preemptive house.
Hey, I got one of the reaaaally bad keyboards Apple made in 2018; they had to swap it for a new one literally five times. :frowning2:
All points fair, was just wondering.

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #1,215 of 1,488
Great idea. Let's also ask Ford to send out a bunch of cars preemptively in case there might be a warranty problem with some of them. Maybe Apple could send out a bunch of iPhones too. And this dang house I just moved into....definitely need a preemptive house.
99EF7D33-78FC-45CD-AC9C-4943D393D2F0.gif

Hahahahahaha. Epic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back