Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,171 of 1,487
Since the Folkvangr obviously isn’t in production any more and not very likely to make a comeback soon:
What would be the closest match in sound of a currently in production amp, any brand? Regardless of price, size, etc (and not necessarily needing it as a space-heater/grill :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Any ideas?
I’ve heard that Valhalla3 is coming out soon. A baby FV.

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,172 of 1,487
I’ve heard that Valhalla3 is coming out soon. A baby FV.
Jason said at the latest Schiit-stream that yes, the Valhalla is due for an update, but not until a couple of years down the line when they’ve managed to use up all of the two million Valhalla transformers someone had ordered! And, also adding a firm No, it’s not going to have four output tubes.

I had sent in that question by email a day before the stream, and added a wish of four output tubes and a tube “tray” like a mini Folkvangr 😝 But, alas, it seems there will be none of that.

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #1,173 of 1,487
Woo WA5le. I haven’t tried any of the other Schiit tube amps. But the Woo is the closest of those I have owned. The Woo has a lot more power for hard to drive headphones. Of course at twice the price of the Folkvangr.
Dear me (looking at the Woo site), $4500 no less. But at least the shipping is free, worldwide, even :relaxed:

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,174 of 1,487
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #1,175 of 1,487
Feb 14, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,176 of 1,487
Since the Folkvangr obviously isn’t in production any more and not very likely to make a comeback soon:
What would be the closest match in sound of a currently in production amp, any brand? Regardless of price, size, etc (and not necessarily needing it as a space-heater/grill :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Any ideas?
Maybe a Woo Audio WA2. I've never heard it firsthand, but I have a FV, and it's at least OTL.

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #1,177 of 1,487
Maybe a Woo Audio WA2. I've never heard it firsthand, but I have a FV, and it's at least OTL.
The WA2 uses tube rectification; FV does not. That is going to be a cause for sonic dissimilarities. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #1,178 of 1,487
I have become a compulsive tube roller, my latest are these: https://www.audiozomba.com/product/amplifier-tubes-6n1-tube-equivalent-6n1p/ ("Elite" selection) Reflektor 6N1P-v c.1966/1967. My second 6N1P-V's and they're very good - the extension on notes just goes on for days, the separation and detail is amazing. Interesting side note at least the samples I got lit up really quick and really bright - dunno if that's ever an indication of anything or just variances in design (if anyone has a note on that, would love to hear it) but they sound great.
I just got a pair of these (it took a while for them to arrive in Canada, but the person at AudioZomba was always very responsive), and WOW, I agree with the brightness and separation assessment. Though every time I roll tubes, my reaction is, "wow, this is awesome" (even when I replaced my 6N6P's for fotons), so I don't know if I can be trusted. These are replacing my BELs, which I thought were the bestest thing ever.

Still, for 50 BPs a pair, I think these Reflektors are a must-listen!

All I can say for sure is that I'm set for tubes for a while. :beyersmile:

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #1,180 of 1,487
Still loving my FV but my mate's has developed an annoying hum. Sounds like a ground loop but he's now plugged into dozens of spots without joy so maybe a tube.

I'm going to check out the AZ Reflektor 6N1Ps. IIRC a few other sellers had them but supplies seem to be variable these days.

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #1,181 of 1,487
Still loving my FV but my mate's has developed an annoying hum. Sounds like a ground loop but he's now plugged into dozens of spots without joy so maybe a tube.

I'm going to check out the AZ Reflektor 6N1Ps. IIRC a few other sellers had them but supplies seem to be variable these days.
Mine died yesterday :frowning2:(

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,182 of 1,487
With the caveat that my signal path has grown organically over the years, and is likely far more complicated than ideal... In my experience with my FV, the noise floor is whisper quiet for some time after being turned on. But after a while listening to music there's a noticeable hum between tracks / when muted. Initially I thought it was simply due to the tendancy to increase volume over time when listening to headphones. But, on subsequent nights - I tested by starting off with some higher volume listening, and found that it was still whisper quiet (without the high gain on, at least).

Assuming my observations are accurate - I'm not sure if that would indicate a change in the transformer after it warms up, or the tubes, or what. Seems the same with different tubes and with a Hum-X on the power supply. With that being said, it's hasn't impacted the enjoyment of any music - as it's only something I notice when things fall silent, and I don't often listen to quiet tracks.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #1,183 of 1,487
I haven't noticed any hum on mine. Even after an hour or two. This is even with high gain, impedance multiplier on and Focal Clear Mg headphones. The Clear is the most sensitive headphones I have. So not sure if it is tube dependent or perhaps some variation in transformers. Of course maybe 2 hours isn't long enough.

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,184 of 1,487
Mine died yesterday :frowning2:(
Sorry to hear that.

I’m back listening to mine now after a very speedy repair and send back by the people at Schiit, as the tubes did not light up one day.
Schiit happens, as they say, what matters is they fixed it quickly and I’m now again enjoying music they way it was meant to be heard :L3000:

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,185 of 1,487
Assuming my observations are accurate - I'm not sure if that would indicate a change in the transformer after it warms up, or the tubes, or what. Seems the same with different tubes and with a Hum-X on the power supply. With that being said, it's hasn't impacted the enjoyment of any music - as it's only something I notice when things fall silent, and I don't often listen to quiet tracks.
Hum in the signal/headphones or physical hum from the unit? If in the signal, I’d suspect tubes (but seems you’ve already tried different ones) or the source - is the hum still there with all RCA’s disconnected (pre-outs too, if any)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back