Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,141 of 1,472
Well, something really funny happened today.

One of my 6N6Ps "lost" its getter. It looks just like that: entirely clear on the top. Upon turning the unit on, as perhaps expected, I don't see it lighting up. I guess that it lost its vacuum.

People who know about tubes. Is this a thing?

Also, what are your recommendations for sites to buy a replacement? I hear these don't need to be matched, though I suspect it is a good idea to have a spare set, ehm, just in case. I hear the fotons are good, but they're sold out in most places. Nothing wrong with ordering a fresh, generic set from Schiit, I guess.

I've only run into one tube losing its vacuum so far, which left it with a whitish residue in place of the formerly chrome-domed awesomeness (on the right in this image). I imagine it depends on what material they use for the getter material.

Attachments

• PXL_20220819_230750260.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220819_230750260.PORTRAIT.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 24, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #1,143 of 1,472
Short answer: personally, I think definitely not. And I also think not a fantastic pairing. The FV is much like an antique car. It has strong preferences in how you drive it, what gas you put in it. Both line signal and transducers. That’s my experience.
I have been thinking about upgrading my Bifrost 2/64 ($829 in silver) to the Ygdraassil+ OG ($2,799 in silver) to go with my FV. Decisions, decisions. I just don’t know if the almost 2k difference in price is worth it.

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #1,145 of 1,472
Just to be contrary, I run a Yggdrasil OG with my Folkvangr and really like it. Is it overkill, possibly. But I also have a Ragnarok 2 connected to it and like that pairing as well. I have had a Modi Multibit and Bifrost as well and the Yggdrasil is definitely a step up. Is it worth the price difference? That is up to you, but if your budget allows you won’t be disappointed.

Jan 24, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #1,146 of 1,472
I have been thinking about upgrading my Bifrost 2/64 ($829 in silver) to the Ygdraassil+ OG ($2,799 in silver) to go with my FV. Decisions, decisions. I just don’t know if the almost 2k difference in price is worth it.
I did precisely that, but I bought the Yggdrasil OG when Schiit had their clearance sale. So I didn't pay the full $2799. I also have the BF 2/64 I literally just upgraded prior to buying the Yggy. The sonic difference is not subtle. You won't be disappointed.

Yes, the Yggdrasil is "worth it". The Yggy OG hasn't changed since the A2 update a while ago. You can probably find the non + version for cheaper. The only thing the Yggy+ Gives you is a remote, lower profile case, and NOS. I don't think those are worth the $500 upgrade to me. YMMV

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #1,150 of 1,472
Is there a consensus on which Schiit DAC synergies the best with the FV?
I haven't tried anything else but I'm very pleased with the BF 2/64

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #1,152 of 1,472
I did precisely that, but I bought the Yggdrasil OG when Schiit had their clearance sale. So I didn't pay the full $2799. I also have the BF 2/64 I literally just upgraded prior to buying the Yggy. The sonic difference is not subtle. You won't be disappointed.

Yes, the Yggdrasil is "worth it". The Yggy OG hasn't changed since the A2 update a while ago. You can probably find the non + version for cheaper. The only thing the Yggy+ Gives you is a remote, lower profile case, and NOS. I don't think those are worth the $500 upgrade to me. YMMV
How would you describe the difference between the Yggdrasil and Bifrost? Asking for a friend. :)

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #1,153 of 1,472
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,154 of 1,472

The FV with my Grado's makes these songs shine.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,155 of 1,472
IMO I would buy a transformer coupled tube amplifier over a different dac. I love ampsandsound products and their huge, romantic wide open sound. Alternatively, get a BiFrost 2 card to swap in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back