Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #1,186 of 1,500
Hum in the signal/headphones or physical hum from the unit? If in the signal, I’d suspect tubes (but seems you’ve already tried different ones) or the source - is the hum still there with all RCA’s disconnected (pre-outs too, if any)?

Physical hum in the unit and in the signal -- dissipates after a period of time but this is new, since he's been using it happy for months without issues, suggesting it may be tube related.

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,187 of 1,500
Hum in the signal/headphones or physical hum from the unit? If in the signal, I’d suspect tubes (but seems you’ve already tried different ones) or the source - is the hum still there with all RCA’s disconnected (pre-outs too, if any)?
In the signal/headphones. It never occurred to me to test it without any inputs plugged in. I'll give that a try, as well as trying a direct RCA connection to my DAC.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #1,188 of 1,500
Feb 27, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #1,189 of 1,500
Absolutely perfect combo. It's insane.

Attachments

• IMG_7874.JPG
    IMG_7874.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #1,191 of 1,500
Yep. My atriums are pretty much permanently attached to my Folkvangr. I have other head amps, and other cans, but this is it.
Atrium on CMA15 is amazing. But on FV it’s on another level.

Feb 28, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,192 of 1,500
Yep. My atriums are pretty much permanently attached to my Folkvangr. I have other head amps, and other cans, but this is it.

I wholeheartedly agree! According to my runtime log, I've put over 340 hours on the Folkvangr and over 200 hours on the Atrium since October and December, respectively. I've no more than 24 hours on my LCD-X ever since the Atrium arrived and less than 10 hours on my other desktop amps since the Folkvangr arrived.

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,193 of 1,500
I wholeheartedly agree! According to my runtime log, I've put over 340 hours on the Folkvangr and over 200 hours on the Atrium since October and December, respectively. I've no more than 24 hours on my LCD-X ever since the Atrium arrived and less than 10 hours on my other desktop amps since the Folkvangr arrived.

I really need to find a set of Atriums.

Currently making do with me old Clears, HD8xxs and some weirdly beautiful-sounding Grado models I picked up on clearance at a local drum shop, but they sure do sing on the FV.

Btw, my mate's humming FV was traced down to sharing a power block with a cable box. Cable box moved, silence restored.

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #1,194 of 1,500
Btw, my mate's humming FV was traced down to sharing a power block with a cable box. Cable box moved, silence restored.

That's really good to know. I'm using an eight-socket Tripp-Lite isobar surge protector with my Folkvangr plugged into one isolated bank and the Gungnir MB in another. I don't have anything else plugged in yet, but if I do, hum will be the first thing I check for.

Currently making do with me old Clears, HD8xxs and some weirdly beautiful-sounding Grado models I picked up on clearance at a local drum shop, but they sure do sing on the FV.
I would like to try the HD800S on the Folkvangr. I've never heard any of the HD8XX/HD800/HD800S headphones, but from what I've read here, I should try them.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #1,195 of 1,500
My repair report says "Replaced tube heater connection" for anyone curious about the repair for my FV.

Repaired shipped back to me in less than two weeks including the Xmas and New Years holiday, I am pleased.
Just to keep other owners informed, I had to ship mine in for repair as well. Heaters still worked, but there was a pretty strong burning electronics type of odor during operation.

I don’t have it back yet, but the tech notes for the repair were also related to the heater connection.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #1,196 of 1,500
I hope it's not a defect. Had you tried other tubes in yours?

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #1,197 of 1,500
I hope it's not a defect. Had you tried other tubes in yours?
Yup, I had rolled both output and input tubes but only with variants listed in the manual.

I'd like to believe this wasn't a problem on my behalf, and I've seen others post about their heater stop working which makes me consider it may be a larger issue (as in maybe an issue with the type of connector they used) but hopefully not! Regardless while it's a bit of a hassle to pay for shipping/be without your product, the turnaround time on the repair was timely, and as long as it comes back in good order I'm not too upset.

I had mine since Nov and it was almost in daily operation for 4-12 hours a day (never left on overnight/turned off when it wasn't going to be used for 1h+).

EDIT:
Received my FV back from Schiit and everything is good to go - definitely missed it!

Timeline on repair:
Schiit received FV: 2/23/2023
Schiit checked in FV: 2/28/2023
Schiit repair completed: 3/2/2023
Received repaired FV: 3/7/2023

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,198 of 1,500
Looks like my Folkvangr will be going back to Schiit for repair. 😥
Last week, one night when I turned it on, the tubes did not light up - it "clicked", so it powered on, but nope. I left it off for about 30 minutes, came back to it and all was well again.

Well today, back to no tube joy, so I'm guessing mine has the heater issue a few others have had. I know Schiit will take care of it, I just hope that I won't have this issue again down the line. I absolutely LOVE the amp though, so I'm willing to deal with it as it comes.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #1,200 of 1,500
The fix seems to be (if I understand the issue correctly), Schiit removing the connector and soldering the power leads directly to the mezzanine board. After 2 returns they did this to mine, and it's rock solid.
Yup, that was what was indicated in my repair notes as well. Seems like it's definitely an issue with the connector used. Must not cause a hazard (otherwise I'd hope they would issue a recall), but it seems like no way they don't know it's an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back