Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #362 of 1,486
With Folk, you shouldn't really lose the slam with high impedance HP like the ZMF, and it should be just as much as MJ2 if I would guess. However, if you truly want not to second guess, definitely go with a SET amp for better compatibility than Folk. AmpsandSound have their own ZMF pendant amp, but any of their amp, including Mogwai SE / Ovation / Lee Loo / Forge (32/300 version) should be much better than MJ2 driving the ZMF. With Mogwai, I do suggest changing from stock EL34 to either 6L6GC or KT88 (Gold Lion) if you want slamming bass
FV rocks a little, but this does not have the normal Schiit sonic signature. Mjolnir 2 is by far the hardest hitting tube product I've heard.

Jul 22, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #363 of 1,486
FV rocks a little, but this does not have the normal Schiit sonic signature. Mjolnir 2 is by far the hardest hitting tube product I've heard.
Do not count out the Linear Tube Audio MZ3 for dynamics, force, heft, slam: not indiscriminately but when the music calls for it. 😄

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #364 of 1,486
Im interested in hearing the answer to this. I’ve got a HA-6A and a Feliks Euforia AE, and the HA-6A has the more typical tube sound, whilst the Euforia has a more SS sound.
I have Mainline now and I love it, but the sound is very clean, I want some tube flavor.

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #365 of 1,486
@inmytaxi
What other amps have you heard that you are comparing to the MJ2?

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #367 of 1,486
Love this amp. Only got an hour or so of play then vacation but I immediately preferred it over my Valhalla 2
Then you're in for a real treat once it gets some play time on it. When I first powered mine up, I let it warm up for about 30 minutes and then plugged in the ZMF Atticus for a listen. Hmmm. Uh, well, uh, ok. Let's just say I wasn't floored. Daresay I wasn't impressed and maybe even a little disappointed, honestly. No dynamics to speak of, bass was there but poorly defined and one note-ish, and the mids were rather thin and threadbare and lacking harmonic depth and color. So I played around with gain and the impedance switch. No real help. It was down to the Atticus possibly not being a good pairing, or the fact the amp (and tubes) needed to break in. So I let it play. After 8 hours, things were improving quite noticeably. After 16 hours? Now I'm starting to be happy. Pretty substantial improvement across the board. Had to head out of town at that point, but I'm back now letting it sing to itself while I sleep tonight. Next sound check will be around the 24 hour mark, and if things continue to improve as they did in the first 16 hours, I think I'm going to be most pleased with this amp. There are those that don't believe in break-in and that's fine...no desire for a debate here. Just that I hear it, and I hear it to a substantial degree with the Folkvangr so far.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #368 of 1,486
Then you're in for a real treat once it gets some play time on it. When I first powered mine up, I let it warm up for about 30 minutes and then plugged in the ZMF Atticus for a listen. Hmmm. Uh, well, uh, ok. Let's just say I wasn't floored. Daresay I wasn't impressed and maybe even a little disappointed, honestly. No dynamics to speak of, bass was there but poorly defined and one note-ish, and the mids were rather thin and threadbare and lacking harmonic depth and color. So I played around with gain and the impedance switch. No real help. It was down to the Atticus possibly not being a good pairing, or the fact the amp (and tubes) needed to break in. So I let it play. After 8 hours, things were improving quite noticeably. After 16 hours? Now I'm starting to be happy. Pretty substantial improvement across the board. Had to head out of town at that point, but I'm back now letting it sing to itself while I sleep tonight. Next sound check will be around the 24 hour mark, and if things continue to improve as they did in the first 16 hours, I think I'm going to be most pleased with this amp. There are those that don't believe in break-in and that's fine...no desire for a debate here. Just that I hear it, and I hear it to a substantial degree with the Folkvangr so far.
I noticed a substantial improvement in the first week and a half (maybe 30 hours of listening). I put it down to brain burn in, but maybe not.

Whatever the reason, it sure sounds good. Quite addictive amp

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #370 of 1,486
Two questions for you then: did you swap in the 6XX to gauge against the Atticus? At what point will you be tube rolling and, will you share your thoughts on the results?

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #371 of 1,486
Two questions for you then: did you swap in the 6XX to gauge against the Atticus? At what point will you be tube rolling and, will you share your thoughts on the results?
I haven't tried the 6XX's yet. Been on the road a lot without much time at home. With the time constraints it'll probably be a couple weeks before I get around to tube rolling as I want to make sure the amp has fully settled in first and that I have a good handle on its sound. But I'll post back with what I hear when I do. I have no experience with 6N6P's at this point and I've read that there's little (if any) difference between manufacturer or vintage. I find quite noticeable differences between vintage and manufacturer of other Russian tubes and types, so the first roll will be with some 1950's box plate, square (pan) getter Fotons. Guess I always have to see for myself. :slight_smile:

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #372 of 1,486
I’m not sure about the particular tubes in this amp, but many tubes take 50-100 hours to settle in. Tubes are completely different from electronics in regard to “burn in”.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #373 of 1,486
I haven't tried the 6XX's yet. Been on the road a lot without much time at home. With the time constraints it'll probably be a couple weeks before I get around to tube rolling as I want to make sure the amp has fully settled in first and that I have a good handle on its sound. But I'll post back with what I hear when I do. I have no experience with 6N6P's at this point and I've read that there's little (if any) difference between manufacturer or vintage. I find quite noticeable differences between vintage and manufacturer of other Russian tubes and types, so the first roll will be with some 1950's box plate, square (pan) getter Fotons. Guess I always have to see for myself. :slight_smile:
I did notice improvements in clarity, dynamic range in Valhalla II when switching from the 6N6Ps that came with V-II to Foton 6N6Ps 🤷🏻‍♂️. EDIT: if this is true using two 6N6Ps, what about eight 6N6Ps 😳?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #374 of 1,486

Rolling in a couple e88cc's up front made a small difference in the sound. Since they're more expensive I'll say the sound improved, but that's a vague impression, I'm just listening.

I've got a set of 80s and 70s 6p's from different factories expected by fall '25. I got them as a spares since they're kinda cheap now at ~$5 ea plus postage.

I guess I should put Mjolnir 2 up for sale at some point. FV is addictive and it's staying on the desktop right now.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #375 of 1,486
Rolling in a couple e88cc's up front made a small difference in the sound. Since they're more expensive I'll say the sound improved, but that's a vague impression, I'm just listening.
I’m itching to roll in a couple of 6SN7s, but I have no matched ones. I’m thinking that since they’re in separate channels, nothing catastrophic should happen even if they’re quite far off, but a left/right volume imbalance would probably be noticeable. I’m not really sure though, so I don’t know if I dare to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back