Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #376 of 1,500
I’m itching to roll in a couple of 6SN7s, but I have no matched ones. I’m thinking that since they’re in separate channels, nothing catastrophic should happen even if they’re quite far off, but a left/right volume imbalance would probably be noticeable. I’m not really sure though, so I don’t know if I dare to try.
Try and report.

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #377 of 1,500
I’m not sure about the particular tubes in this amp, but many tubes take 50-100 hours to settle in. Tubes are completely different from electronics in regard to “burn in”.
do you just turn on a tube amp to burn in tubes or you need to play some music too?

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #378 of 1,500
do you just turn on a tube amp to burn in tubes or you need to play some music too?
Either. I think it breaks in faster when playing music, but I have nothing but opinion to support that.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #379 of 1,500
Don't they burn fv in for like a week, or two? Seriously any burn in was done at the shop. Brains burn in. Electronics are served cooked.
I doubt it. Schiit does test the amps before they go out, but probably no longer than any of their other gear. Can you imagine how much space (not to mention air conditioning) they would need if every product they sold was burned in for a week or two?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #380 of 1,500
I would suggest with music playing. Also many tube amps don't recommend playing for long uninterrupted periods. In other words I wouldn't turn the amp on and leave it. My Woo amps suggested no more than 6 hours at a time. Also if a tube goes bad I wouldn't think you would want to leave it on, especially with headphones plugged in. Maybe Jason can comment on how long the Folkvangr can be left on. Maybe it doesn't matter with this amp.

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #381 of 1,500
I doubt it. Schiit does test the amps before they go out, but probably no longer than any of their other gear. Can you imagine how much space (not to mention air conditioning) they would need if every product they sold was burned in for a week or two?
Imagine 20-30 Folkvangrs on the rack, in the Californian summer, each at 100W, tubes glowing, dissipating their heat into the room.
Hot! :sweat_smile:

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #382 of 1,500
Is FV still a limited edition? I don't see on the web site that it's only gonna be 150 units.

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #383 of 1,500
I would suggest with music playing. Also many tube amps don't recommend playing for long uninterrupted periods. In other words I wouldn't turn the amp on and leave it. My Woo amps suggested no more than 6 hours at a time. Also if a tube goes bad I wouldn't think you would want to leave it on, especially with headphones plugged in. Maybe Jason can comment on how long the Folkvangr can be left on. Maybe it doesn't matter with this amp.
I think the FV is built to be able to handle being left on indefinitely. Bad for tube life though.

The manual says:
Can I leave Folkvangr on all the time?
You can, but it will significantly shorten your tubes’ effective lifespan (5,000 hours is about 200 days). For best life, we recommend you turn the amplifier off when you’re not going to use it for more than an hour.

And:
It seems like it’s too hot!
All components used in Folkvangr are rated to last well past the 5-year warranty period at its operating temperature. However, it is designed for use in air conditioned homes. If your home is over 80 degrees F ambient, you may need some additional cooling.

So, it seems it’s ok to use it a a space heater too, if need be, provided that tube life is of lesser concern :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #384 of 1,500
Is FV still a limited edition? I don't see on the web site that it's only gonna be 150 units.
Yup, upon its introduction it was said that only 250 units will be made. With a few preallocated, that means 240-something will be for sale. Later it was also clarified that this will not change even if tube supply improves.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #385 of 1,500
Yup, upon its introduction it was said that only 250 units will be made. With a few preallocated, that means 240-something will be for sale. Later it was also clarified that this will not change even if tube supply improves.
I don't think it's related to tube supply, there's plenty of these tubes. If they really wanted to carry fv, they could easily find the tubes for it.

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #387 of 1,500
Jason is live on youtube. Half the fv are shipped, most of the rest are probably sold. Waiting for transformers, slight delay on second half of order (weeks).
Can you attach a link? Couldn’t find it.

EDIT: Never mind-

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #388 of 1,500
Jason is live on youtube. Half the fv are shipped, most of the rest are probably sold. Waiting for transformers, slight delay on second half of order (weeks).
I am waiting for my order. 6-8 weeks ;(

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #389 of 1,500
I am waiting for my order. 6-8 weeks ;(
Looks like you made it under the wire. They’re all sold out now. Not bad- 250 $1800 amps in about 4 weeks.

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #390 of 1,500
Looks like you made it under the wire. They’re all sold out now. Not bad- 250 $1800 amps in about 4 weeks.
Schiit's web site let me put one in my cart. Not that I need another one......Perfectly content with the one I already have......But I also did not attempt to check out...... Folkvangr #4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back