Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #391 of 1,500
Call me crazy, but is anyone double checking their channels? I seem to have reversed headphone outs.

Anyone NOT have reversed headphone outputs from fv?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #392 of 1,500
Schiit's web site let me put one in my cart. Not that I need another one......Perfectly content with the one I already have......But I also did not attempt to check out......
Maybe it was my browser, but I could t put it in my cart. It’s possible they aren’t sold out then.

EDIT: still can’t add it to my cart. Shrug.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #393 of 1,500
I’m itching to roll in a couple of 6SN7s, but I have no matched ones. I’m thinking that since they’re in separate channels, nothing catastrophic should happen even if they’re quite far off, but a left/right volume imbalance would probably be noticeable. I’m not really sure though, so I don’t know if I dare to try.

Try and report.

I could, but that wouldn’t really be of any value. I don’t have any way of testing and measuring the tubes, so I wouldn’t know if, by happenstance, the ones I put in were a good match or not.

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #394 of 1,500
Hi,

I have a Folkvangr on order, and currently have an Atom+ DAC. I like the DAC and am pretty sure it'll sound great with the Folkvangr. But, I'm also considering getting an Atom+ amp and moving the Atom+ DAC into another room to listen to. That would mean I'd need a second DAC for the Folkvangr. I have been eyeing the Topping D90SE. It looks like it gets really solid reviews. Even though it's balanced I believe I can still use the RCA out to the Folkvangr. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Would this DAC pair/sound good with this amp? Or, would I be better off with a Schiit, or other DAC?

Thanks

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #395 of 1,500
Don't they burn fv in for like a week, or two? Seriously any burn in was done at the shop. Brains burn in. Electronics are served cooked.
Iirc, Jason mentioned that they’re “cooked” for 24 hrs on racks before being shipped.
Call me crazy, but is anyone double checking their channels? I seem to have reversed headphone outs.

checked mine…nope, not switched. It’s correct

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #396 of 1,500
Hi,

I have a Folkvangr on order, and currently have an Atom+ DAC. I like the DAC and am pretty sure it'll sound great with the Folkvangr. But, I'm also considering getting an Atom+ amp and moving the Atom+ DAC into another room to listen to. That would mean I'd need a second DAC for the Folkvangr. I have been eyeing the Topping D90SE. It looks like it gets really solid reviews. Even though it's balanced I believe I can still use the RCA out to the Folkvangr. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Would this DAC pair/sound good with this amp? Or, would I be better off with a Schiit, or other DAC?

Thanks
The Topping will work fine, though personally I’d get the new Bifrost 2/64 or pick up a 2nd hand Bifrost 2. Compared to the Topping (which IMHO) sounds slightly cool and soft, the BF2 sounds more alive (impactful), nuanced and warm. The BF2 also has a superior USB input if that’s how you connect to your source.

The Folkvangr is a good enough amp that you can justify a fairly high end DAC, so there’s lots of options.

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #397 of 1,500
Schiit's web site let me put one in my cart. Not that I need another one......Perfectly content with the one I already have......But I also did not attempt to check out......Folkvangr #4.jpg
I just noticed from looking at your stack that you’ve got the Loki Max under your FV. The magnetic field generated by the massive transformer in the FV is likely interfering with the equalizer- Schiit discusses this in the FAQ for the Loki Max. You may want to move the equalizer or the FV.

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #398 of 1,500

I do not have reversed headphone out. Also verified my inputs are correct and they are.

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #399 of 1,500
Maybe it was my browser, but I could t put it in my cart. It’s possible they aren’t sold out then.

EDIT: still can’t add it to my cart. Shrug.
I added one to my cart. Did you select the options? Did you get a popup asking to confirm you understand the wait time? Maybe your browser is blocking it.

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #400 of 1,500
I just noticed from looking at your stack that you’ve got the Loki Max under your FV. The magnetic field generated by the massive transformer in the FV is likely interfering with the equalizer- Schiit discusses this in the FAQ for the Loki Max. You may want to move the equalizer or the FV.
I'd be curious if it is interfering at all with the isolation pucks in between. They advise against stacking in many of their products for that reason but I've never had any issues with it but I will grant that the FV would have more potential to.

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #401 of 1,500
I added one to my cart. Did you select the options? Did you get a popup asking to confirm you understand the wait time? Maybe your browser is blocking it.
Stupid me- I didn’t select the options. Doh!

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #402 of 1,500
I'd be curious if it is interfering at all with the isolation pucks in between. They advise against stacking in many of their products for that reason but I've never had any issues with it but I will grant that the FV would have more potential to.
It’s a distance thing. The pucks do give you a little more distance so maybe. As I understand it, if there is interference it will manifest as a 60 hz hum. If you don’t hear anything you’re probably good.

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #403 of 1,500
@Kapazza
Would you mind sharing a comparison of the MJ2 and Folk?

I have an MJ2 and almost ordered a Folk. I am torn on going Folk, Ampsandsound, or DNA, if I even stay with a tube amp.
ampandsound > fv

fv is a treat, but not for every headphone or recording. going from fv to a&$ 1626 based monoblocks and for me it's not even close.

Frankly I find I like the transformer sound. otl is faster and lighter on it's feet, but Justin provides a more natural, organic sound.

The transformers on justin's amps are tapped directly to the headphone outputs, he doesn't use resistors for the high imp out.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #404 of 1,500
Well, after a bit of troubleshooting and back and forth with Schiit, I ended up having to exchange my tubes due to popping in one of the channels and audio occasionally cutting out completely.

Just got the new tubes today. (Yesterday?) Not sure... long weekend of moving. Either way, just sitting down to give the new tubes a listen.

Sammy Rae & The Friends came up on shuffle and now I am listening to a bunch more of their tracks. Sounding absolutely fantastic on my 6XX through the Folkvangr! Music always seems to sound better late in the evening after a long day. Set or setting? Who knows.

Will report back once I've had more time with Folkvangr and some of my other cans.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #405 of 1,500

It’s a distance thing. The pucks do give you a little more distance so maybe. As I understand it, if there is interference it will manifest as a 60 hz hum. If you don’t hear anything you’re probably good.
So I checked with my ZMF VC's and no hum present when turning the volume all the way up/gain in low and high...with nothing playing. Removed the pucks and let Folkvangr sit right next to Loki Max and no hum. Plugged in Utopia and still nothing...silence. Four hours later having a hard time shutting things down as Utopia/Folkvangr sounds like a match made in heaven......2:09 AM on a Monday morning. Good thing I don't have to go to work today.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back