Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #1,276 of 1,488
Just to chime in as someone who has spent probably close to the cost of the amp in tubes on this thing. The final configuration I settled on is the following:

Input: https://www.tubedepot.com/products/amperex-7308-usa-gold-pin

Output: https://www.vivatubes.com/true-nos-soviet-russia-gold-grid-6n6p-6h6p-ecc99-vacuum-tube/ (unfortunately now out of stock) I was able to work with them on eBay to get a matched octet.

Tried lots of different combinations, most have their own enjoyable quality, but this was the "cleanest" sound. Detailed and controlled, which can have pros and cons to certain music genres, but as mentioned here before I actually primary game on this setup. I found separation in footsteps etc in FPS's to be best with this tube configuration and that same separation and detail is present in music as well. Lots of the other 6N1P's I tried for the input tubes were actually more "fun" to listen to music with.
I game on my Valhalla primarily. Tubes can get pricey gaming on the FV. I have tried it and can agree on it's greatness though.

Jun 4, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #1,277 of 1,488
Enjoy the glow this evening. Listening to Soul Classic on Tidal, current track, Used to be my girl (O'Jays). Enjoy the music.
folk.jpg

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #1,278 of 1,488
Enjoy the glow this evening. Listening to Soul Classic on Tidal, current track, Used to be my girl (O'Jays). Enjoy the music.
folk.jpg

Nice pic! And you have exceptionally good taste in components. 🤣

Folkvangr and Loki Max.jpg

Jun 4, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #1,280 of 1,488
I wanted to share an issue that arose after getting my Folkvangr back from Schiit after the warranty fix, they deleted molex connection for tube heater. I received the Folk back from Schiit on April 14 and upon connecting everything, I was now experiencing static in the left speaker on both my headphones (Denon D9200 and Senn HD650). Nothing had changed (cables, tubes). I thought it needed some time to burn in. Well, it remained and yesterday I placed my hand around the left front tube and the noise disappeared. I have 4 different tubes for the front tubes. Each tube made the noise but my Mullard E88CC made the noise more pronounced. I change the tubes around and the cables and the noise was still there in the left headphone speaker. I then turned my router off that was approximately 3 feet to left of the Folk and the noise went away. Interesting enough before the warranty work there was no noise. Today I moved the router 5 feet away and the noise disappeared. Hopefully this helps someone if they start to experience noise.

FYI, currently listening to DIO, Don't talk to strangers. Enjoy the music. Most importantly is the libation for this evening listening session, tonight I am drinking Cutwater Tiki Rum Mai Tai, not bad for a cocktail in a can.
Folk1.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #1,281 of 1,488
I wanted to share an issue that arose after getting my Folkvangr back from Schiit after the warranty fix, they deleted molex connection for tube heater. I received the Folk back from Schiit on April 14 and upon connecting everything, I was now experiencing static in the left speaker on both my headphones (Denon D9200 and Senn HD650). Nothing had changed (cables, tubes). I thought it needed some time to burn in. Well, it remained and yesterday I placed my hand around the left front tube and the noise disappeared. I have 4 different tubes for the front tubes. Each tube made the noise but my Mullard E88CC made the noise more pronounced. I change the tubes around and the cables and the noise was still there in the left headphone speaker. I then turned my router off that was approximately 3 feet to left of the Folk and the noise went away. Interesting enough before the warranty work there was no noise. Today I moved the router 5 feet away and the noise disappeared. Hopefully this helps someone if they start to experience noise.

FYI, currently listening to DIO, Don't talk to strangers. Enjoy the music. Most importantly is the libation for this evening listening session, tonight I am drinking Cutwater Tiki Rum Mai Tai, not bad for a cocktail in a can.Folk1.jpg
Is your router wireless or wired?

Interesting that a presumably more secure connection to the heaters would make the tubes more susceptible to noise. I have a network switch behind mine but haven't heard anything but good music out of my FV. But then again, the temperature's above zero Fahrenheit now, so I don't need the additional space heater!

Hope your noise issues stay beaten into submission!! :relaxed:

Jun 5, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #1,282 of 1,488

FYI, currently listening to DIO, Don't talk to strangers. Enjoy the music. Most importantly is the libation for this evening listening session, tonight I am drinking Cutwater Tiki Rum Mai Tai, not bad for a cocktail in a can.Folk1.jpg
I used to have this problem with my old Bottlehead Crack setup - cleaning the sockets/tubes helped dramatically/basically fixed it even though it was related to the proximity of my access point (even experimented with Faraday fabric which worked btw, but not practical). Strangely I have an enterprise grade AP sitting right above my FV with zero noise.

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #1,283 of 1,488
I used to have this problem with my old Bottlehead Crack setup - cleaning the sockets/tubes helped dramatically/basically fixed it even though it was related to the proximity of my access point (even experimented with Faraday fabric which worked btw, but not practical). Strangely I have an enterprise grade AP sitting right above my FV with zero noise.
It might be that dirt and oxidation forms varying amounts of diode action between the pins and socket and basically rectifies the noise from the AP, basically making it’s high frequency noise to a carrier for noise in the audible frequency range.

This is just a thought, but that is basically how old crystal receivers worked. You adjusted a metal pin on a crystal finding the just right place that formed a diode that rectified the AM carrier wave, enabling you to hear the signal it carried.

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #1,285 of 1,488
For those who are fans of virtuoso electric guitar artists, this track absolutely rocks on the FV with ZMF VCs

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,286 of 1,488
Jun 10, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #1,287 of 1,488
While this is the Folkvangr forum page, I was at T.H.E. Show SoCal 2023 in Orange County (Costa Mesa, California) which me and the wife of 37 years have gone to since 2016. We were looking for a smaller footprint front left and right speaker for our home theater listening area. The wife wanted a smaller foot print then what our old Mirage OM-5’s to conform to the WAF (wife acceptance factor). I also knew they would have a headphone section. I had a chance to listen to the HIFIMAN Suvarna ($6k) paired with a Feliks Audio Envy ($8k). I have to say what a beautiful sounding pairing but at a cost of 14k, not for the faint of heart. Even my frugal wife agreed it sounded magical and that means a lot from her since she does not share my passion for audio. It gets better the mission was to find smaller front left and right speakers, well the pair we liked came in at a price of $87,500 for a pair. They are the TAD CR1TX Compact Reference One. Needless to say, they are a hard pass.

Have any other forum members contemplated transitioning from Folkvangr to a different tube amp? I am considering the Feliks or AmpsandSound.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #1,289 of 1,488
…Have any other forum members contemplated transitioning from Folkvangr to a different tube amp? I am considering the Feliks or AmpsandSound.
I’ve entertained the idea, but my Gungnir Multibit > Folkvangr > Atrium chain does an excellent job for the music I enjoy. Any amplifier upgrade would be substantially more expensive.

Jun 12, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #1,290 of 1,488
While this is the Folkvangr forum page, I was at T.H.E. Show SoCal 2023 in Orange County (Costa Mesa, California) which me and the wife of 37 years have gone to since 2016. We were looking for a smaller footprint front left and right speaker for our home theater listening area. The wife wanted a smaller foot print then what our old Mirage OM-5’s to conform to the WAF (wife acceptance factor). I also knew they would have a headphone section. I had a chance to listen to the HIFIMAN Suvarna ($6k) paired with a Feliks Audio Envy ($8k). I have to say what a beautiful sounding pairing but at a cost of 14k, not for the faint of heart. Even my frugal wife agreed it sounded magical and that means a lot from her since she does not share my passion for audio. It gets better the mission was to find smaller front left and right speakers, well the pair we liked came in at a price of $87,500 for a pair. They are the TAD CR1TX Compact Reference One. Needless to say, they are a hard pass.

Have any other forum members contemplated transitioning from Folkvangr to a different tube amp? I am considering the Feliks or AmpsandSound.
I have the Envy and the Folkvangr both fed by Holo May. Susvara-Envy is a great pairing and I love hd800s on the FV. 2 very different presentations…both great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back