Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #811 of 1,501
They probably meant "half of the remaining" were accounted for. I think Jason said half of the total 250 units were sold way back at the Texas Roundup.
Thats possible. I remember him saying something like "if they're going out in order of serial number, the last to leave here was #13X. So thinking about that, in reality that doesn't mean much.

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #812 of 1,501
Well, it's here...

...and it's a beauty.

IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #813 of 1,501
I was hold "a very few / handful of units," silver only. The salesperson I was dealing with said they expected to be sold out for good by this week.

I was an early adopter of the original Zana, sold it with the arrival of our first kiddo (no regrets on that one!) and have kinda been chasing that sound ever since, so just felt it was now or never for the Folk. It should arrive shortly, and really looking forward to trying it with my kit. My speaker system is Mac tubes / Dyna Heritage Specials so I like the idea of an OTL HP setup as a complementary sound.

Have learned a ton from this thread -- thanks folks.
One thing I’ve noticed about the FV- it doesn’t act much like an OTL except maybe in it’s ability to sound holographic. The output impedance is low enough that headphones which can sound woolly on a high output impedance amp don’t.

It doesn’t sound like a transformer coupled amp either- it seems like there’s less roll off on the low end when powering moderate impedance headphones. It’s really its own kind of sound.

That said, I think you’ll like it, just that it’s more flexible than most OTLs.

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #815 of 1,501
Is FV gonna make your room super hot? My Echo 2 is already acting like a heater. I can't imagine what will happen with 10 tubes.
It puts out about the same amount of heat as a 100W light bulb. I don’t notice it unless I put my hand above the tubes.

To put it into perspective, your average residential central AC system provides around 36,000-60,000 BTUs of cooling (high end homes probably a lot more). The folkvanger puts out around 340 BTUs of heat. Your spouse probably puts out around 200 BTUs sitting around and maybe 600-700 working out. Possibly 1200 if you’re married to a professional athlete.

That said, if you’re in a small room with only 150 CFM of supply air, you only have about 3000 BTUs of cooling in that room and the FV could raise the temperature by a couple degrees.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #816 of 1,501
If it's a small room it'll likely he noticeable. My listening room gets warmer just from a Yggdrasil and Woo Wa8 running for a few hours.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #817 of 1,501
It puts out about the same amount of heat as a 100W light bulb. I don’t notice it unless I put my hand above the tubes.

To put it into perspective, your average residential central AC system provides around 36,000-60,000 BTUs of cooling (high end homes probably a lot more). The folkvanger puts out around 340 BTUs of heat. Your spouse probably puts out around 200 BTUs sitting around and maybe 600-700 working out. Possibly 1200 if you’re married to a professional athlete.

That said, if you’re in a small room with only 150 CFM of supply air, you only have about 3000 BTUs of cooling in that room and the FV could raise the temperature by a couple degrees.

It can be noticeable, but with proper ventilation mine dissipates pretty quickly in my 12 x 16 listening room. FWIW, I run a full-tube rig of Mac MC275 VI, C22 and a ZDT Jr in that room and of those units it's the MC275 that generates most of the heat, although the Yggdrasil is no slouch.

In high summer I might go with a cooler-running amp, but it's not unwelcome in a Canadian winter.

On another note, I've only had the Folks for half a day, but early returns are very positive. It can make some astonishingly compelling music.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #818 of 1,501
was
It can be noticeable, but with proper ventilation mine dissipates pretty quickly in my 12 x 16 listening room. FWIW, I run a full-tube rig of Mac MC275 VI, C22 and a ZDT Jr in that room and of those units it's the MC275 that generates most of the heat, although the Yggdrasil is no slouch.

In high summer I might go with a cooler-running amp, but it's not unwelcome in a Canadian winter.

On another note, I've only had the Folks for half a day, but early returns are very positive. It can make some astonishingly compelling music.
The MC275 produces probably between 2 and 3 times as much heat as the FV, and the Yggy produces about 1/3 the heat of the FV. If you turn everything on (and play music through the MC275), you could be generating between 400-500W of heat. Add in the other gear, 1-2 people, some sun coming through a window, etc and the room could be quite warm.

Re the FV sound- mine started out sounding a little odd on some tracks but improved noticeably over a few days as the tubes accumulated some hours.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #819 of 1,501
I am currently running VO on a Feliks Echo MKII and really like this combo. I am very interested in grabbing a FV since it uses the same tubes for Echo, but importing a FV to Canada will cost 3 times more than buying a used Echo. I need to make a decision if this will be worth the upgrade.

I have also owned Elise, Euforia, and Euforia AE before. Much appreciated if someone can share his experience in comparing these products.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #820 of 1,501
What's on your Folkvangr?

what do you all place on the roof to keep watch?

me: Vali 2++ with stock tube.

Mine's currently flanked by a glass cannon and whatever the 'headphone flavor of the week' is. :wink:

All my current headphones are 50 or less Ohms. The only exception being a DT 1990 Pro @ 250 Ohms. I have to say, I did not care for the Beyers on FV at all, much happier with them on my little Vali 2 at work. The Grado GS1000 really sang on the FV, and responded really well to EQ. Just ordered a pair of HD6XX's off of Drop, as many have mentioned the 600 series pairs well with FV. I'm really looking forward to hearing how they pair! Then I can sit back and start pondering what 'the next big thing' needs to be.

Y'all throwing out all these high end Audeze, ZMF, and others model headphones - I can already feel the recently mended hole in my pocket getting warm - such a (great) bad influence you all are!

Attachments

• PXL_20221004_000500458.jpg
    PXL_20221004_000500458.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #821 of 1,501
All my current headphones are 50 or less Ohms. The only exception being a DT 1990 Pro @ 250 Ohms. I have to say, I did not care for the Beyers on FV at all, much happier with them on my little Vali 2 at work. The Grado GS1000 really sang on the FV, and responded really well to EQ. Just ordered a pair of HD6XX's off of Drop, as many have mentioned the 600 series pairs well with FV. I'm really looking forward to hearing how they pair! Then I can sit back and start pondering what 'the next big thing' needs to be.
I can't make my Grado Hemp to sound great on FV. If I use Low Gain and Multiplier enabled it sounds wrong. I mean wrong. Then I decided to try High Gain with Multiplier. It was OK. High Gain with Multiplier off - much better, almost perfect, but I still can hear background noise. Whatever I do with Hemp I always hear the noise :frowning2:

HD650 and HD8xx are sublime on FV.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #822 of 1,501
Is FV gonna make your room super hot? My Echo 2 is already acting like a heater. I can't imagine what will happen with 10 tubes.
I upgraded the stock tubes with Philips Herleen 7062 and it's no longer as hot as before.

Attachments

• IMG_6950.jpg
    IMG_6950.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #823 of 1,501
Anyone have hd8xx to try with the fv?

I do. Will give them a run tomorrow when I have a chance.

So far I'm really enjoying this Folksv with the phones I have here, from AQs to Grado GH4. RS1x, Focal Clear OG and Utopia and assorted HD600/6xx.

There's a range of strengths with these various phones but I don't find it muffled with any of them -- the impact of, say, Hammond organ is remarkably live, with no apparent loss of detail or dynamics vs other amps I have on hand. It's a big, dense sound, unfailingly engaging and often intoxicating. Bass depth and definition is better than I'd hoped, although not the best I've heard. But its balance of virtues is superb at the price and well beyond, IME.

Oct 4, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #824 of 1,501
I do. Will give them a run tomorrow when I have a chance.

So far I'm really enjoying this Folksv with the phones I have here, from AQs to Grado GH4. RS1x, Focal Clear OG and Utopia and assorted HD600/6xx.

There's a range of strengths with these various phones but I don't find it muffled with any of them -- the impact of, say, Hammond organ is remarkably live, with no apparent loss of detail or dynamics vs other amps I have on hand. It's a big, dense sound, unfailingly engaging and often intoxicating. Bass depth and definition is better than I'd hoped, although not the best I've heard. But its balance of virtues is superb at the price and well beyond, IME.
I really like the FV with the OG Clear. It didn’t pair well with my Woo WA6-SE, but the FV sounds fantastic.

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #825 of 1,501
I upgraded the stock tubes with Philips Herleen 7062 and it's no longer as hot as before.
Because of the adapters acting as tube risers also - better tube heat dissipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back