Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #781 of 1,488
The Arya is hooked up to my Burson Solist where it will stay, looking for something that’ll be different from that combo, sorry if I wasn’t clear 😅 For those using the VC on this does it sound peaky like some reviews have brought up? Are Eikons warmer? ZMF noob here
I don’t think the VCs sound “peaky” on the FV. The pairing is great, like chocolate and peanut butter. Holographic sound overall, intoxicating mids, etc.

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #782 of 1,488
Sep 22, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #783 of 1,488
They still claim only "out of stock" but is looking more and more like they are gone forever.
Audeze recently restocked the legacy LCD-2 and LCD-3. No reason to think they won't do the same with the 4 if demand is there.

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #784 of 1,488
The Arya is hooked up to my Burson Solist where it will stay, looking for something that’ll be different from that combo, sorry if I wasn’t clear 😅 For those using the VC on this does it sound peaky like some reviews have brought up? Are Eikons warmer? ZMF noob here
Not sure what you mean by peaky. One thing for sure, if you put the wrong pads on them, they will sound off. With the right pads though…

The microdynamics and macrodynamics are really good, especially if you’re used to planars (most planars), but they won’t slam your brain out of your skull.

The treble is smoother than my Clear or AFC. They’re very detailed without any harshness. My Auteurs are smoother, but less detailed, holographic, etc. I’d say the Auteurs are slightly warmer and the Clears cooler.

I guess their greatest strength is they image beautifully for a closed headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #785 of 1,488
Not sure what you mean by peaky. One thing for sure, if you put the wrong pads on them, they will sound off. With the right pads though…

The microdynamics and macrodynamics are really good, especially if you’re used to planars (most planars), but they won’t slam your brain out of your skull.

The treble is smoother than my Clear or AFC. They’re very detailed without any harshness. My Auteurs are smoother, but less detailed, holographic, etc. I’d say the Auteurs are slightly warmer and the Clears cooler.

I guess their greatest strength is they image beautifully for a closed headphone.
I concur. Getting a pad pairing to your taste is key. For example, using BE2 pads on VC with a very crisp SS amp can sometimes be too much of a good thing just as pairing one of the warmer pads with a very warm tube amp can be too much in the other direction.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #790 of 1,488
What's on your Folkvangr?

what do you all place on the roof to keep watch?

me: Vali 2++ with stock tube.
Nothing, but I have a Lyr3 standing guard to the side..

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #791 of 1,488
Sep 29, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #792 of 1,488
Subject: Folkvangr
Expected tube life: 5000 hours
Daily usage: 6 hours (give or take)
Total tube life: 2 years 3 months (ballpark)

Not too bad! 😁

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #793 of 1,488
Well, just took the plunge. Been a while since I've owned an OTL but this is an interesting design and, having spoken to Schiit today it looks like they're down to their last few units.

Looking forward to hearing this with my Hd800s, etc. Seems like it should be a solid match.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #794 of 1,488
Just installed a matching pair of Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 tubes and the static noise in the volume pod has disappeared. :L3000: Enjoying the sound, can't wait to hear what they sound like after the have some time in the FV. :metal:

On a side note seen Iron Maiden in tour this past Sunday in Chula Vista, great concert.

Attachments

• Iron Maiden.jpeg
    Iron Maiden.jpeg
    596.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back